Another reason for Apple to make an iPhone junior!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Sony Ericsson's Walkman W880

This phone is 9mm thick:

Sure we all know the iPhone was teleported from the future, but any teen that wants a music playing cellphone (which by the end of this year will be 90% of them) come June either wont be able to afford the iPhone or wont want of need all the iPhone features. The iPhone is a Smartphone IMO, albeit the coolest Smartphone ever created, but still a Smartphone. I hope to God Apple has the sense to bring out a simple cheaper music playing cellphone before Christmas. Cause Sony could take the whole non-Smartphone phone market this Christmas if they don't. Plus I'll be waiting round like a fool for nothing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Well, While I object to most of the content, I can't help but cringe at the title "iPhone Junior" because it keeps reminding me of the PC Jr.

Sebastian
  • Reply 2 of 11
    i wouldnt involve god in it... Apple will release a RANGE of phones ...in time.

and i second the iPhone Jr thing... its awful and wont be used
  • Reply 3 of 11
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Ireland: don't you think that it's more likely that any simpler iPhone will follow the same naming convention that already exists with the iPod? iPod, meet iPod Nano; iPhone, meet iPhone Nano. And, as has been pointed out, "junior" just doesn't sound nice.

But I'm with you: I'm waiting on a trimmed-down version of the iPhone.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I personally couldn't care if they called it iPhone monkeybucket, I just want a simple music playing cellphone from Apple that looks good, is easy to use and works with iTunes.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I personally couldn't care if they called it iPhone monkeybucket, I just want a simple music playing cellphone from Apple that looks good, is easy to use and works with iTunes.

something like this then?

• Reply 6 of 11
    If it comes with a free monkeybucket i'm so getting one.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

In other words, you want the one that's coming out + a Monkeybucket

Sebastian
  • Reply 8 of 11
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

The iPhone is a Smartphone IMO, albeit the coolest Smartphone ever created, but still a Smartphone.

Actually, it's not. It's a closed OS, so it's a featurephone not a smartphone.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Amorya View Post

Actually, it's not. It's a closed OS, so it's a featurephone not a smartphone.

I take offense to that comment seeing as how there is nothing smart about the outdated Palm OS, the Windows in a Mobile, Windows Mobile or WinCE (which is what it really is) or the Mainly for Email Blackberry with the tiny cramped QWERTY.

By the way, Darwin and the XNU and many other components of OS X, are open source, since those are part of OS X, and the iPhone uses it, the OS isn't nearly as closed as one might think.

Sebastian

Hint: Think outside the box for Apps
  • Reply 10 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Me still just wants an iPhone junior, I don't care how you label the iPhone, it's a Smartphone to me - ok it's a new catagory called 'Very Smartphones'. The iPhone is a very Smartphone. I want an iPod nano put stuffed into a phone with a simple OS and Apple style.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Certainly a wider range will come eventually. But I wouldn't expect it until 2009 MWSF.

Apple will want as many people to buy the more expensive version before they release a cheaper version. As sales of the iPhone wane then iPhone nano (whatever it will be called) will come in as a new product to support sales of a saturating market. The same as with the iPod mini and shuffle.