Apple bit by Apple TV setback

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I really wanna try appletv in the store to see if its a good fit but these set backs are annoying, the longer it takes them to get it in the store the more my interest drops, at least get the damn thing in stores, you already have the lcds there.

By the time this drops it would have been half a year since it was announced.

But games though? Hmmm...Apple Interactive Television Box Reborn?

I think so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_i...television_box
  • Reply 22 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I think news must have leaked that Jobs had another meeting with his personal lawyer...

Looks like the very unstable Chinese stock market (which I would never put any money in) led the drop.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/28/bu...hp&oref=slogin
  • Reply 23 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I think it helps to have an alternative explaination as to why the stock dropped. Unfortunately, I can't think of anything else that changed in the last two days, certainly not one that would result in a $2.50 drop overnight.

Yes... But by the same logic we can blame the crazy Chinese (article on slashdot about their stupidity with declaring internet addiction, If I had any doubt they were commies it's all gone now). Maybe that can at least be taken into account by the analyst....
  • Reply 24 of 44
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webmail View Post

Analysts are fucking stupid.

Analysts get your head out of your ass.

P.S. In interest of full disclosure I've been an analyst for 8 years...

So, in effect, you're saying that you're fucking stupid and have your head up your ass?

• Reply 25 of 44
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Just when I think Kasper is getting pretty good at pretending to be a journalist, he writes something like this article. Come on, man.
  • Reply 26 of 44
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Apple TV March 20th, maybe Leopard too on March 20th?
  • Reply 27 of 44
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    The entire market is down today so its not only Apple.
  • Reply 28 of 44
    good time to buy more Apple stock for me. Idiots who sold today will be sorry.
  • Reply 29 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

Just when I think Kasper is getting pretty good at pretending to be a journalist, he writes something like this article. Come on, man.

Ahhh, just when i thik CosmoNut is getting pretty good at pretending to be a reader he writes something like this post. (according to the byline by the article, it was written "By Katie Marsal".) But i'll accept the argument that if Kasper's the editor of all that appears here, then he should have caught this.

as for the post suggesting analysts were somehow responsible for this misguided article, the way i read it, the author didn't attribute the "delay causes stock drop" presumption TO anyone, much less an to analyst: it's just an assumption voiced by the author. The analyst in the article actually says she believes Apple TV may be a hidden hit for the company. Or did i misread it--always a possibility!

literucy rools!\
  • Reply 30 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The entire market is down today so its not only Apple.

Yes. Down over 500 points. Largest crash since 9/11.

iTV is probably only a very small factor.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebrunn View Post

good time to buy more Apple stock for me. Idiots who sold today will be sorry.

Unless you're buying very, very large blocks of stock, this little dip won't even be worth your time. Wait until it dips to 60 or just under 70... which ain't gonna happen.
  • Reply 32 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Yes. Down over 500 points. Largest crash since 9/11.

iTV is probably only a very small factor.

Meh. It'll sort itself out in less than a month... I'd give it 2 weeks.
  • Reply 33 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tommo_UK View Post

"Shares of Apple Inc. slipped more than 2 percent in morning trading on the Nasdaq stock market after the consumer electronics maker said it would delay its foray into the living room by several weeks."

How about: global stock markets collapsed after the Chinese market fell 9% last night. Apple traded down with the rest of the market after fears a global slowdown could impact stocks.

Sometimes there is no news. Apple's fall today had nothing to do with the aTV delay, and everything to do with a meltdown in the markets.

Katie might want to remember that next time she tries to link cause-and-effect

100% Agree. Dow, Nasdaq, S&P got slammed down hardcore 4% in just one day on Tuesday trading. Monday trading was fine.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

Aw man. Now I'll have to wait longer to not buy an Apple TV.

AHh ahh ahhahha haha ROFLMFAO
  • Reply 35 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Looks like the very unstable Chinese stock market (which I would never put any money in) led the drop.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/28/bu...hp&oref=slogin

I'm reading http://www.businessweek.com/investor...ndex_top+story

To try and figure out what the FRACK happened.

Edit: Still no idea on what the hell is going on. Everything is going apeshit on Bloomberg, CNBC and BBC....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Apple TV March 20th, maybe Leopard too on March 20th?

I think the delay is... wait for it... <conspiracy theory> to coincide with late March full release of AppleTV, Leopard, new Macs, Adobe Universal CS3, movies from WB and FOX</conspiracy theory>.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

So, in effect, you're saying that you're fucking stupid and have your head up your ass?

Yes most of the time I am fing stupid. However even when stupid I tend to tell the truth. It was obvious this morning when I was trading that something was not right, buys were down everywhere as well as a shake in asian markets.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    In related news... on Feb. 26th, Standard & Poor's released a stock report for AAPL, and they currently rate it as a "Strong Buy".
  • Reply 38 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

In related news... on Feb. 26th, Standard & Poor's released a stock report for AAPL, and they currently rate it as a "Strong Buy".

That's great. Everyone's rating it as a good buy because they (institutional investors) want it to go up up up... because they got a whole lot more when Apple was/is at the low-$80s. Now all that needs to happen is for the stock to *actually frickin' go up past $100...!!!!11!!!" argjhsgdkjshgkjdhqhfajshdf!
  • Reply 39 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

That's great. Everyone's rating it as a good buy because they (institutional investors) want it to go up up up... because they got a whole lot more when Apple was/is at the low-$80s. Now all that needs to happen is for the stock to *actually frickin' go up past $100...!!!!11!!!" argjhsgdkjshgkjdhqhfajshdf!

They don't rate it highly BECAUSE institutional investors WANT it to go up. Those investors want to know whether they should change their investment strategy, or at least, tweek their portfolio. They invest for the long term, not for days, weeks, or months at a time.

Day traders jump ship at the least sign of movement.
  • Reply 40 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    The delay did have an effect though. Losing almost three weeks of sales on a highly anticipated product very late into the quarter will have a noticeable effect on sales, earnings, and margins. There won't be enough time left in the quarter to make up for the lost sales.

The stock price had already accounted for the amount of sales expected. now that will be cut, so the price dropped.

How much was due to the market, and how much was due to the announcement? That's hard to say.

But to discount it entirely, is wrong.