Video unearths undisclosed iPhone features

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
While Apple chief executive Steve Jobs flew through the iPhone's core software during his Macworld keynote address, a video team has gone back and discovered several software touches that may have some people reconsidering the distinctive phone.

An especially thorough group at Actioncorp re-examined Jobs' presentation frame-by-frame, pointing out a number of hidden features revealed in passing -- even those which surfaced for only a split-second via the live stream or in a journalist's snapshot.

Perhaps the most relevant finding is the inclusion of a "Ringtones" tab in the phone's iTunes preferences. Although Jobs had drawn attention only to the handset's default calypso ringtone during the two-hour event, the sighting validated hopes that customizing the sound would be at least as flexible as with its rivals today.

Actioncorp was particularly intrigued by the addition, noting that a dedicated tab and the plural phrasing meant that Apple expected owners to have more than a small collection of tones separate from their music. The extra space could well be part of a larger strategy to sell ringtones through the iTunes Store, the footage noted.

A second new tab, Personal, was likely to contain options for synchronizing contacts, e-mail accounts, and other info.

In the clip, the group also reminded its audience of the much larger scope of the iPhone's trumpeted Google Maps feature. David Pogue of the New York Times was previously quick to silence expectations of live GPS in the Apple communicator through hands-on experience, but the video emphasized Steve Jobs' seemingly casual references to direction-finding and traffic alerts for the Google utility. Corner buttons in the map tool for either function were already in place.

Eventual users of the iPhone could also count on saving time by means of a few important control tricks, the footage reveals. An alphabetic side strip immediately jumps to tracks filed under a particular letter just by tapping the screen, breaking the tedium of scrolling through a large collection.

The briefly mentioned iPhone calendar application also has a plus-sign button for adding new events directly from the iPhone, heralding the first time an Apple device has permitted two-way updating for anything other than play counts or track ratings.

Watch the video:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    woo first post

but seriously.. this is news?

i saw this a few days ago
  • Reply 2 of 60
    Someone has too much time on his... oh, wait a sec.
  • Reply 3 of 60
    Dear God has the time come where people have to start picking apart videos frame by frame? "If you examine very closely you can see the outline of Steve's @*%$ in his pants."
  • Reply 4 of 60
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The button on the calander app that he couldn't recognize is "Today", press it to see today's events. Google Maps; lower right is 'Get directions' (car). Lower left is "Find a restaurant" (knife and fork). And yes users will be able to use their songs as ringtones, and yes we'll see an iTunes ringtones section. If you own iTunes and you sell phones, you sell tones - it's that simple. Now where the hell is my iPhone bucketmonkey.
  • Reply 5 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The button on the calander app that he couldn't recognize is "Today", press it to see today's events. Google Maps; lower right is 'Get directions' (car). Lower left is "Find a restaurant" (knife and fork). And yes users will be able to use their songs as ringtones, and yes we'll see an iTunes ringtones section. If you own iTunes and you sell phones, you sell tones - it's that simple. Now where the hell is my iPhone bucketmonkey.

I'll take the 24" widescreen iBucketmonkey?.
  • Reply 6 of 60
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    Quote:

yeah, i thought the knife and fork was kinda obvious...
  • Reply 7 of 60
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Dear God has the time come where people have to start picking apart videos frame by frame? "If you examine very closely you can see the outline of Steve's @*%$ in his pants."

You must be new here... Welcome to the insanity of Mac rumors.
  • Reply 8 of 60
    <borat>very naaaiiice, yes</borat>. All aboard the iPhone train. It has to be a good PDA. On top of phone and iPod functions.
  • Reply 9 of 60
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

You must be new here... Welcome to the insanity of Mac rumors.

I thought this site was called Apple Insider?
  • Reply 10 of 60
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    *b*tchslap* Shaddup, you.
  • Reply 11 of 60
    I heard about is that the iPhone can make perfectly crispy bacon. 15 of the 200 patents on the iPhone is that the bacon it makes is kosher, halal and vegan! How do they do it?
  • Reply 12 of 60
    Treos currently have a Google map app that seems somewhat similar to the functionality that was demo'd. Google Maps on Treo also has traffic and directions but does it without GPS. You need to give it a zip code or address where you are and where you are going to get directions. It can't tell you when to turn like a turn GPS but it does give you turn by turn directions similar to what you'd get from the Google Maps website. You can also look up businesses in the area. On this app, is now my absolute favorite tool on my treo, more handy than email actually. I am sure iPhone's will be the same - with slick animations to boot.
  • Reply 13 of 60
    Quote:

LOL

It seems like all this iPhone stuff is going a bit too far.
  • Reply 14 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dale Sorel View Post

LOL

It seems like all this iPhone stuff is going a bit too far.

its not even that bad yet. I welcome every bit of info I can get on it.
  • Reply 15 of 60
    mttmtt Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by junkie View Post

Google Maps on Treo also has traffic and directions but does it without GPS. You need to give it a zip code or address where you are and where you are going to get directions.

The GSM network can locate any mobile phone to within a few meters. You normally don't have access to that information on your phone, but Apple has managed to get special features added to the mailbox, so why not get that as well.

Anyway, even without that, each GSM network cell has its own ID. The phone knows what cell it is talking to and it could map that to the location of the cell, with the right database. Still more accurate than a ZIP-code and fully automatic.

There's no need to put a GPS in a mobile phone. Someone just needs to make good use of the technology that is already in place for the secret services.

MTT
  • Reply 16 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dale Sorel View Post

LOL It seems like all this iPhone stuff is going a bit too far.

You obviously haven't been on AppleInsider for long... 8)
  • Reply 17 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MTT View Post

The GSM network can locate any mobile phone to within a few meters. You normally don't have access to that information on your phone, but Apple has managed to get special features added to the mailbox, so why not get that as well.

Anyway, even without that, each GSM network cell has its own ID. The phone knows what cell it is talking to and it could map that to the location of the cell, with the right database. Still more accurate than a ZIP-code and fully automatic.

There's no need to put a GPS in a mobile phone. Someone just needs to make good use of the technology that is already in place for the secret services.

MTT

I learnt all this from watching 24. That and "tasking satellites" + CalTrans (traffic) cameras and stuff.
  • Reply 18 of 60
    Quote:

Now where the hell is my iPhone bucketmonkey.

we need a bucket monkey thread...
  • Reply 19 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

I heard about is that the iPhone can make perfectly crispy bacon. 15 of the 200 patents on the iPhone is that the bacon it makes is kosher, halal and vegan! How do they do it?

15.. pft.. im moving to Texas in a month.. and i have patents that go back to 1978 on how to make bacon... i'll show Apple.....

... AFTER they have sold 20 million
  • Reply 20 of 60
    Quote:

So, is he circumcised?