Quark 5 is coming out soon.

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I just saw the box (it's blue; I can get more info tomorrow). One feature I noticed is something that all tech would appreciate; a method of keeping track of who has what serial#/activation code incase you have to reinstall or move someone to another computer. Cool beans!. i'll get more dirt.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    This is not OS X native, correct?
  • Reply 2 of 18
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    The point upgrade after 5.0 will be carbonized.

I still don't see any point for people to upgrade from 4.1 to 5 if it's not OSX native.

Even 5 is OSX native lots of print house out there won't migrate for a least a year.

BTW. Their upgrade policy really stinks
  • Reply 3 of 18
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    It's not carbon. I read and re-read the description and it said nothing of OS X.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    New features:

export content as XML, or import XML content into your document.

Make hyperlinks for PDF and web

Create/export multicolor tables

Layers

New Applescript features

Quark Color management system

New user interface with context menus

Manage multi user sites with licence controller applet. cool

Thats all I know. the box will be blue and black with lily pads and flowers on the front. Looks better than the old box. But it sucks that it's not carbonized.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Not to be rude, but who cares? Quark is the most arrogant company in the business aside from Microsoft, even though they update their product about once every three years, and even with the latest one, refused to carbonize it.

Quark 5 may come out soon, but InDesign 2 will destroy Quark based on what I've seen....

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: Moogs ? ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 18
    I love InDesign too but face it. Most Design houses still use Quark exclusively and some of our needed and proprietary Quark XTensions make it hard for us to use anything else. it's sad but true. I hope Indesign 2 can use Quark Extensions but I don't think it will.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    $300.00 for an upgrade is totally unacceptable for the US English version. I have their "Multi-Lingual" version called Passport. Guess what their charging for that upgrade? Approx $500.00!! That info is straight from their Customer Service Department. $300.00 is unacceptable. $500.00 is outrageous

When will Quark ever learn?
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Never. When we upgraded our whole department to QXP4 from 3.3.2 (about 60 users) guess how much per head? $616. No upgrade break. this was at our cost. Give me a break. That day i ordered 3 copies of Indesign 1.5 only to use it for a week and find out it lacked one important plug-in that QXP has. Damn it.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    I wonder what Quark programmers (should it be plural?) do all day?
  • Reply 10 of 18
    I tried out the beta that came out a couple month ago... I would say it was a big disappointment, but I wasn't really expecting much to begin with. The only useful new feature in IMO is tables. The pallettes are finally platinum. Still no multiple undos (or any undo of many commands), still lacking many standard mac interface conventions, like down arrow to go to the end of a line. The other new features seem pretty stupid... who wanted to design web pages in Quark?
  • Reply 11 of 18
    [quote]Originally posted by B.I.L:

<strong>The other new features seem pretty stupid... who wanted to design web pages in Quark?</strong><hr></blockquote>

My sentiments exactly. The only real "improvement" I saw in the beta was that Quark was finally able to display postscript fonts properly without having to force the program to redraw the screen everytime I changed something.

Seems like this release was cobbled together from the wish lists of publishing and media execs who want to be able to "multi-purpose" their content. But execs don't use Quark: designers and typesetters do. If I really wanted my stuff in XML, I'd have it marked up to begin with, not use some lame back-end conversion.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>New features:

New user interface with context menus

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ahh that is Quark for you. Once OS 9 becomes obsolete they decide to make Quark follow along with it's gui instead of it's own OS 7'ish look
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Until pre-presses houses support InDesign fully, Express will continue to have a solid marketshare. I think over time InDesign will catch Xpress as it develops into a market hardened, commercially viable app.

Price alone is a major selling point for InDesign. Transperency in InDesign 2.0 will also be a major feature.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    I could have sworn I had read "Quake 5 is coming out soon."

I play too much q3 I guess.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Number 1 advantage of Indesign over QXP... $150 upgrade price.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    First of all, InDesign was built as a modular program. 3rd party plugins can be designed for it just as easily as for Quark.

Further, Adobe can and is adding in native capabilities to ID that Quark doesn't have at all - via Xtension or otherwise. If you design house folks want the scenario to change, you have to stop playing into Quark's hands and take the attitude that you will get done what needs doign with ID...even if it takes a little extra effort in some cases (and less in others).

Send em to their grave. You have the power to do this whether you want to admit it or not.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Anyone ever hear of Engage? How about DataFlow, Mediabridge etc. We have the misfortune of having to use it because it cost us half a million bucks and the bone head VP that insisted it would be for the better is long gone. The users hate it. But it only works with Quark. They don't even have a plan to go to OS X, they won't even consider ID for now. We're in a dead end and I have pressured the new VP to dump it and cut our losses... we'd get some decent Sun hardware and be out a couple hundred thousand but we'd be more productive.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    [quote]Originally posted by B.I.L:

<strong>I tried out the beta that came out a couple month ago... I would say it was a big disappointment, but I wasn't really expecting much to begin with. The only useful new feature in IMO is tables. The pallettes are finally platinum. Still no multiple undos (or any undo of many commands), still lacking many standard mac interface conventions, like down arrow to go to the end of a line. The other new features seem pretty stupid... who wanted to design web pages in Quark?</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you want too do webdesign the Quark way, go to <a href="http://www.softpress.com,"; target="_blank">www.softpress.com,</a> and get Freeway 3. It's a totally awesome webdesign program, totally DTWP (Desk Top Web Publishing). Produces extremely clean code!!