Second quarter iPod sales tracking above expectations

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
An extrapolation of January data from market research firm NPD suggests that Apple Inc. is on track to exceed Wall Street's expectations for iPod sales during the company's second fiscal quarter of 2007 ending March.

In a research note released Wednesday afternoon, PiperJaffray analyst Gene Munster told clients that his analysis of the sales data leads him to a preliminary iPod sales estimate between 11 million and 12 million units.

"The 11 million to 12 million unit range is based on various assumptions and is an extrapolation of one month of data," the analyst explained. "When the second month of data is released, our analysis will likely lead to a slightly different iPod unit figure than what our analysis suggests based on the first month of data, so we believe investors should supplement this data point with other information."

Munster's findings place iPod sales above Wall Street consensus estimates of 10.9 million units, as well as his own forecast of 10.3 million units.

Analysts as a whole have been expecting a steep seasonal decline in sales of the iconic digital music players following Apple's blowout holiday quarter.

During the three-month period ending December, the Cupertino-based company sold a whopping 21 million units, the most ever in a single quarter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Wicked

Good Thats Apple Keep On Surprising them Just Wait Until The Iphone Is Out
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Can we start banning users that say "First Post!!!!"?

Please?

• Reply 3 of 14
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    I'm surprised that their numbers are still going up without a significant refresh of the Nano or iPod Video.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Me too, i guess the nano and shuffle are driving it though. The flagship ipod seems stale, I won't buy one until it has a bigger screen.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    That's not too bad, there were about 8M iPods sold this quarter last year, 12M would be 50% unit growth, seasonally adjusted. The number I had in mind was 10M. Something to keep in mind is that that's just units, the average sell price may still be going down.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    I guess the Valentine's Day push paid off. The iPod continues to top the amazon charts. Now lets get the @tv out and meet the iPhone deadline guys...

Scooter

http://www.gadgetgrid.com/
  • Reply 7 of 14
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Hee hee... just imagine when the 6G multi-touch interface touchscreen video iPod shows up (the 'true' video iPod).

Lights... out... for everyone else. Yes, that means you too, Zune.

On the bright side, Creative can still sell iPod accessories.

• Reply 8 of 14
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Every analyst report about the iPod is:

"someone's findings place iPod sales above someone elses estimates"

Of course they are. I really hate these analysts and people who write "first post" in blogs and messages boards. Neither ever has anything useful to offer.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins

Lights... out... for everyone else. Yes, that means you too, Zune.

That implies that the lights were at one time on for the Zune.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That's not too bad, there were about 8M iPods sold this quarter last year, 12M would be 50% unit growth, seasonally adjusted. The number I had in mind was 10M. Something to keep in mind is that that's just units, the average sell price may still be going down.

I had also assumed a 25% growth in overall iPod popularity from new and repeat customers.

But then I adjusted (based mainly on my gut) for additional sales due to the G2 Shuffle's form factor, low cost, and ease of use. That brought me to 12.5M units sold.

After the new color Shuffles came out, I added another .7M. So, I estimate thats there will be 13.2M iPod Q2-2007.

PS: I received my Orange Shuffle in the mail yesterday. I purchased it for my tech-tarded father after he nonchalantly mentioned they were cool. Before I give it to him I'm going to preload all his favorite music (like such classics as: The Beach Boys, Neil Diamond, Kris Kristofferson.... yeah, I know!) as he so far gone he'll never hook it up to his computer and probably doesn't even know what iTunes is.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    My prediction for this quarter is 12.5m iPods. Three weeks ago, my estimate was for 12m so this latest bit of news caused me to raise that estimate.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Like most everyone else I'm guessing the new Shuffle is driving the unit sales numbers up. With that I'm going to suggest that we all temper our enthusiasm because the average selling price is bound to be sinking like a rock. It takes 5 shuffles to equal the revenue of a single 80GB iPod.

Speaking of the 5.5G iPod, it looks like a dinosaur next to the iPhone. Sales of that particular unit will suck until it gets the big screen that we all know it should have.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    I've never bought one. I've enjoyed the stock runs largely due to their success, but it's just amazing when a product reaches mature status that no matter the competition it continues to grow.

My first purchase will be to augment my car, but I stopped being interested in walking around with music playing after I graduated from my University years. That's been over 13 years.

Between the iPod walkers and the cellphone umbilical chorded hordes the world is closing itself off to, well, The World.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    sallisalli Posts: 5member
    Before this quarter, Apple had sold a total of 88,701,000 iPods (Wikipedia). That is just 11,299,000 short from the 100M mark. So it is hard to judge whether the 100,000,000th iPod is sold in late March or early April. We'll see...
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Heck, we've purchased and sold a record number or iPods this holiday season. You'd think by now the numbers would slow. But iPods just keep getting significantly better.

PodPacker has traded more CDs for iPods in February than we did in January, even though there are fewer days, thanks to the orange iPod shuffle.

From a business standpoint I wouldn't expect a wide screen iPod until Q4 2007. It would confuse first-time iPod switchers if it was released alongside the iPhone. I can't wait to see what our customers will do for the next-gen iPod.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I've never bought one. I've enjoyed the stock runs largely due to their success, but it's just amazing when a product reaches mature status that no matter the competition it continues to grow.

My first purchase will be to augment my car, but I stopped being interested in walking around with music playing after I graduated from my University years. That's been over 13 years.

Between the iPod walkers and the cellphone umbilical chorded hordes the world is closing itself off to, well, The World.

Your commute clearly doesn't include walking or biking, anywhere.