Refurbished or not to Refurbished .. thats the questions

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
hello,

how long dose it takes for the new hardwares (MBP) to hit the refurbished section?

If the rumors are true, I want to wait till march for the new hardware/new OS but then I only have enough $$ for the refurbished one. If I have to wait 3months for the product to hit the refurbished section, I might as well get a mbp now. I dont think I can wait another 4 months .

also,

are there taxes on the refurbished hardwares? because I tried putting one in my online cart, it dosen't show the taxes in the subtotal (keeping in mind I'm in Canada)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I would go ahead and get it now, or get a new one when they are released. There is no guarantee that Apple will add 10.5 onto the purchase price of a refurbished computer that did not come with it originally. I think, and I'm typing on a refirb iMac now, that they sell them with the original software disks so if it did not come with it you might have to purchase it separately anyway or get a new one which would probably be pretty close to the price of the refirb and the new OS, especially if Apple ups the specs such as HD space or standard memory.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    what do u mean by "new hardwares" if u mean the core 2 duos MBP, it's already out on the reburb section. I bought a refurb MB few months back and it works 100% fine. I am currently eyeing for 2.33Ghz MBP C2D refurb for 1999

and yes it will be charged for tax
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:

what do u mean by "new hardware" if u mean the core 2 duos MBP, it's already out on the reburb section. I bought a refurb MB few months back and it works 100% fine. I am currently eyeing for 2.33Ghz MBP C2D refurb for 1999

and yes it will be charged for tax

What I meant was... lets say a new build for the MBP will come out in March (with LED LCD..hoho ) , some says, if you want to buy the refurbished version of that MBP , you have to wait 2 months+ from the original launch date, so if it comes out in march , we have to wait till May to buy the refurbished one???

Just want to confirm if that?s truth with previous releases.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edwardo232 View Post

What I meant was... lets say a new build for the MBP will come out in March (with LED LCD..hoho ) , some says, if you want to buy the refurbished version of that MBP , you have to wait 2 months+ from the original launch date, so if it comes out in march , we have to wait till May to buy the refurbished one???

Just want to confirm if that’s truth with previous releases.

I'm sure there are a lot of variables that affect this. How fast they can ramp production, how fast people are on the uptake, what the shelf life of an Apple Store display is.

I figure most of the refurbs are either returned machines (defects or dissatisfaction) or Apple Store display models. I'd think it would take a good 3-4 months after the new model is shipping in quantity before you'll see many at the refurb store. So, assuming an April (optimistic) launch window, full shipping by May (optimistic again) you'd probably not see anything refurb'ed until Aug or Sept.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    yes Anklosaur is correct.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    About how often are new products added to the refurbished products Apple store? If I'm looking for a refurbished iMac, how often should I be checking the store for a configuration I like?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WallyWattz View Post

About how often are new products added to the refurbished products Apple store? If I'm looking for a refurbished iMac, how often should I be checking the store for a configuration I like?

The refurb store seems to get restocked on Wednesdays. Items are removed when they are sold out, but new stock of the same models often reappears the next week.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BrunoBruin View Post

The refurb store seems to get restocked on Wednesdays. Items are removed when they are sold out, but new stock of the same models often reappears the next week.

I've also sometimes noticed that items that aren't available in the afternoon or evening may reappear in the morning. I've been tracking 15" MBP and they seem to be listed in the AM most days and disappear by early evening. YMMV
  • Reply 9 of 11
    actually i have been doing some research about the MBP on refurb section and it seems that it is restocked at 8am EST (5am PST) almost everyday except Sunday morning and Monday morning. Lately though, they haven't restock the MBP so much but the current stock stays much longer.

Usually it stays around 3 hours then went down but lately it has been staying up until afternoon.

Just my 2 cents
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by illutionz View Post

actually i have been doing some research about the MBP on refurb section and it seems that it is restocked at 8am EST (5am PST) almost everyday except Sunday morning and Monday morning. Lately though, they haven't restock the MBP so much but the current stock stays much longer.

Usually it stays around 3 hours then went down but lately it has been staying up until afternoon.

Just my 2 cents

I've been keeping up to date with the refurb store as well, and I concur with this assessment. The 2.33 MBP C2Ds seem to appear less frequently and disappear more quickly, while the C2Ds typically last more than a few days. That makes sense - the newer models are coming in at a slower rate and since it's the most popular, they're selling just as quickly as they arrive.

I, for one, am glad Apple offers these machines at discounted rates. It reminds me of when Ben & Jerry's used to offer factory seconds ice cream when I was growing up in Vermont.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Yeah yesterday, the 2.33 MBP C2D appear for a long time (until around afternoon) when I ordered mine and it will arrive tomorrow

Bye Vista Hello Tiger