Official "future physical changes" thread

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

my bad i meant video card

And I assume you mean in the Macbook and Mac Mini, 2 low end Macs that don't need the power of a video card.

Sebastian
  • Reply 22 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

And I assume you mean in the Macbook and Mac Mini, 2 low end Macs that don't need the power of a video card.

Sebastian

i mean in the macbook and it wouldn't hurt to have em in the mac mini as well. the reason for this is for someone who goes to school or just wants a cheaper mac computer, to have the ability to actually do some low end gaming. for example, me i want the black macbook, and i play counterstrike, and the video card wouldn't hurt.
  • Reply 23 of 55
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

i mean in the macbook and it wouldn't hurt to have em in the mac mini as well. the reason for this is for someone who goes to school or just wants a cheaper mac computer, to have the ability to actually do some low end gaming. for example, me i want the black macbook, and i play counterstrike, and the video card wouldn't hurt.

Actually it would. It would take the Low end out of the Low End Macbook, which by the way, is the Macbook. If you want gaming, the 13.3" screen will be too small for you, I gurantee it. Look at the Macbook Pro, or better, a dedicated Game Console.

Sebastian
  • Reply 24 of 55
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

[in reply to Rich-Myster]

Quote:

Actually it would. It would take the Low end out of the Low End Macbook, which by the way, is the Macbook. If you want gaming, the 13.3" screen will be too small for you, I gurantee it. Look at the Macbook Pro, or better, a dedicated Game Console.

Sebastian

He is obviously not understanding the idea that these products are stripped of those things to keep the prices low, and the mini low and keeping the small form factor.

Like I said earlier:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker

You can barely fit the mini inside the case of the mini. PCI-E slots are you out of your mind!?! That would totally ramp up the cost and completely defeat the purpose of the low cost mini.

• Reply 25 of 55
    Quote:

Sebastian

Before jumping all over him for wanting gaming on a mac notebook that doesn't cost $2000, think of the competition and other options (this goes for onlooker as well).

I'm not speaking for Rych-myster here, but here's for myself: why is Apple's least expensive 15.4" gaming-capable notebook cost me $2000 while a gaming-capable notebook from say HP or Dell costs me $500 less? There is also Asus' 14" machine into which they stuffed the x1600 (the same GPU that is found in the MBP 15").

Gaming preference on a 13" screen varies - for me it's no problem. Thus, a 13" Mac notebook with a ded GPU would also be my machine of choice. I'll hook it up to the 21" while at home.

Just open up to the idea that Apple is not (currently) competing in 2 spaces:

1: powerful 13" notebook (capable of 3D...)

2. powerful 15" consumer notebook
  • Reply 26 of 55
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexluft View Post

Just open up to the idea that Apple is not (currently) competing in 2 spaces:

They don't compete in more areas than that.
  • Reply 27 of 55
    b3ns0nb3ns0n Posts: 95member
    Sometimes I think people expect the impossible of Apple, and dedicated GPUs in the MacBook and Mac Mini are a good example. Why don't they just give their computers away?
  • Reply 28 of 55
    ragexragex Posts: 126member
    Seeing how the iBooks had an actual dedicated video card, I don't think it's such an impossibility for the Macbooks to gain one.

What I would love to see is:

At least 3 usb ports in all mac portables

Intergrated card reader

Intergrated evdo would be nice, just not too widespread for Apple too pull the trigger on that I suppose.

I'm easy
  • Reply 29 of 55
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    How about a touchscreen replacing the touchpad on notebooks?

If you are going to continue with Firewire, make the move to 800.

Digital audio outs on everything.

A 3.5" HD in the mini (I would take a larger mini for that)

Getting rid of the chin on the iMac.

Better graphics cards for everything.

Ability to address more than 3GB of RAM in "Pro" machines....
  • Reply 30 of 55
    I would like to see the following from apple

-BTO dedicated graphics in the mac mini,(if you remember rightly the 1st incarnation of the mini had dedicated graphics, and it doesnt have to be a top notch video card, just something that offers an improvement over integrated graphics). However, if apple opt for intel GMA x3000 and core 2 duo for the next mini, dont think that will be so bad.

-Consumer displays. Sorry but £429 for a 20 inch screen is alot!!!

-BTO blu-ray drives, rec it will happen eventually, but not in the immediate future.

-More usb ports, i mean the mac mini has more usb ports than the imac,

- new case designs, think we are in need of something fresh.
  • Reply 31 of 55
    videocards aren't that expensive and they wouldn't have to add a bunch of money to the cost of the macbooks, a few hundred at the most, it'd be worth it.
  • Reply 32 of 55
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    The entire Future Hardware forum is the official place for this type of discussion.
  • Reply 33 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rageous View Post

The entire Future Hardware forum is the official place for this type of discussion.

this thread is for stuff you want or think will come. not just what will come.
  • Reply 34 of 55
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:

this thread is for stuff you want or think will come. not just what will come.

So is the entire future hardware forum, as I said.
  • Reply 35 of 55
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TKN View Post

How about a touchscreen replacing the touchpad on notebooks?

What do you mean?

If you meant the touchpad should be a screen I have to ask: why and what does it add to the MacBook (Pro) besides price?

Bad idea, the touchpad is good as it is.
    Quote:

If you are going to continue with Firewire, make the move to 800.

No, there are a lot of peripherals which are FW400 and a few, like some triple bus HDs which are FW800. Adding FW800 to every Mac is a good idea though.

It's sad the new AirPort Extreme hasn't a FW400 port for an external HD instead of the USB2.

Probably there are some technical inabilities preventing the use of FW over USB2.
    Quote:

Digital audio outs on everything.

okay
    Quote:

A 3.5" HD in the mini (I would take a larger mini for that)

The reason why the Mac mini hasn't a 3.5" HD has nothing to do with size, if they wanted it they would have done that with its introduction back in January 2005 making the Mac mini one inch higher wouldn't make it a less incredible machine, or price, Because a larger 3.5"HD is much cheaper than using an 2.5"HD.

The most important reason is to cripple the Mac mini to justify its low price in comparison to it's much faster sibling the iMac.

Want a faster Mac? Buy up.
    Quote:

Getting rid of the chin on the iMac.

Go away, I don't care if you want the internal power supply burn a hole through the LCD screen but I like it were it is: in the chin.

Whining about the space under the screen of the iMac is so 2004.

An external power supply is not an option, it's not a Mac mini or a Cube.
    Quote:

Better graphics cards for everything.

agreed
    Quote:

Ability to address more than 3GB of RAM in "Pro" machines....

Uhm... Let the price of 2GB sticks come down, so I can afford to upgrade to 3GB first.
  • Reply 36 of 55
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

They don't compete in more areas than that.

And that's perfectly fine, I hate ugly ATX boxes.
  • Reply 37 of 55
    ragexragex Posts: 126member
    Thought of a couple of more things:

Better sounding integrated speakers. Should not be difficult to do.

User accessible hard drives in units. To replace a hard drive in a mbp should not be like an episode of Home Improvement.
  • Reply 38 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RageX View Post

Thought of a couple of more things:

Better sounding integrated speakers. Should not be difficult to do.

User accessible hard drives in units. To replace a hard drive in a mbp should not be like an episode of Home Improvement.

You know, I was just thinking the same thing.
  • Reply 39 of 55
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gar View Post

And that's perfectly fine, I hate ugly ATX boxes.

If you realize that Apple's product line is targeted to consumers and creative pros it all makes sense. Everything else is a 'hole'. I'm not going to hijack this thread and go into the woulda, coulda, shoulda arguement.
  • Reply 40 of 55
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajprice View Post

Laptops with screens that hinge back more than they do now.

Agreed. It's so annoying!