XP/Vista Boot Camp Questions

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
So I am about to purchase a 24" iMac as soon as I get off work, and I am more then excited. With tax return money and some bonds I'm cashing in, I am treating myself to something I have always wanted. Now I now I want to run a Windows OS eventually (sooner then later) because I do some schoolwork that requires Windows (Access, SAM skillsets, etc.) so I am excited about using bootcamp for that.

My father owns a business, so he has a lot of computers and random software lying around. He has a complete Windows XP Professional lying around and I can probably take it and put it on my Mac, but he is also gettin 5 Vista upgrades, which he will only use 3 of, so I could probably get one of those, too.

Now here is my question. If I put XP on my Mac with bootcamp, can I delete XP from bootcamp and then reinstall Vista, or would I have to go through the hassle of upgrading? How hard would it be to upgrade to Vista from XP on a Mac? Is it even worth it to wait for Vista (I'm only going to use it for my schooling and some PC-only gaming, and it should arrive in about 4 weeks)?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    I think you can just wipe the partition and do a fresh install of Vista.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    I managed to install Vista - Clean install with out any problem, so should work without any problem. My default booting partition is Windows.

Atlas, hope it helps.

One problem though some of the drivers not available for Vista, for example iSight did not work in Vista where i had no problem in Windows xp. i did installed XP drivers on Vista (which came from bootcamp CD)

I guess Apple will release this driver with next version of boot camp.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    fuzz_ballfuzz_ball Posts: 390member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Atlas View Post

Now here is my question. If I put XP on my Mac with bootcamp, can I delete XP from bootcamp and then reinstall Vista, or would I have to go through the hassle of upgrading? How hard would it be to upgrade to Vista from XP on a Mac? Is it even worth it to wait for Vista (I'm only going to use it for my schooling and some PC-only gaming, and it should arrive in about 4 weeks)?

First, congrats on the new Mac!

Now for a question: Why do you want Vista? I find it interesting the number of people that *think* they need Vista. What is it going to give you that XP SP2 won't? One thing it will give you is slower performance since Vista taxes your system more than XP. Further, if one of the reasons for dual boot to begin with is gaming, well why do you want to install an OS that will drag down your overall game performance?

So I would start with that and go from there. If you can't really come up with a solid reason for Vista, just load XP SP2 and you'll be fine. It will handle all your gaming needs and I'm certain, all your application needs as well.

Hope you enjoy it!