Apple to hold special event at NAB

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Inc. will hold a special event at the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) trade show on Sunday, April 15, according to reports.

The Cupertino-based Mac maker offered no details on what, if anything, will be announced at the event, according to Macworld. However, past company presentations at the conference have been given way to launch significant product announcements.

In 2005, Apple used the NAB conference to launch Final Cut Studio and Soundtrack Pro. Recent rumors have suggest the company may be readying a significant update to Final Cut Pro for this year's show. A brawny revision to the Mac Pro also remains ripe for the picking, and could coincide with the company's announcements.

As has been the case in recent years, Apple will command a large show floor presence at NAB, with a mammoth booth located near the entrance to the South Hall.

NAB 2007 runs April 14-19 at the Las Vegas Convention Center in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    So, what will we do with an 8-processor Mac? Anyone know what clock-speed Intel has managed to eek out of this monster?
  • Reply 2 of 36
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    My guess is FCP6 will be launched and maybe some other updated pro app. Maybe the Mac Pro, too, if it doesn't come out in the next few weeks. When is Leopard coming? Sure hope it's before NAB.
  • Reply 3 of 36
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I'm seeing new mac pro, fcp studio and shake. Man I always love NAB when it rolls around.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    I actually think that they will anounce the new Mac Pro´s along side all new Cinema Displays with intergraded webcams to work their magic with... Yes! ...the new FCP! These things belong together!

Even better... They might introduce their plans to make a true AppleTV. A television that will actually replace your computer. This product will be a clone between an iMac and a telly. This computer will of cause be operated from your couch with your new apple remote. Better speach comands will be introduced to this baby too!!!8)

Yeah! I´m dreaming but I actually think we will se something like this pretty soon.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    donlphidonlphi Posts: 214member
    Imagine how fast Handbrake will finally work...

or maybe I'll be able to process my iDVD projects in under a day. JEEZE
  • Reply 6 of 36
    shookstershookster Posts: 113member
    A new FCP would be very nice. I'm very intrigued about new, unreleased products though. Apple recently acquired Silicon Color, who make Final Touch HD, and I'm hoping that they make an announcement related to that. I will be in the market for a DI solution later this year and I want to see what Apple is offering before I make a decision.

Also, a poster before me mentioned an update to Shake. Apple has now discontinued Shake. They are working on a completely new package that combines elements of Shake with elements of Motion. It will come under a new name. I doubt it will be released any time soon, but it would be nice to have some info on it at NAB.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macfabulous View Post

Even better... They might introduce their plans to make a true AppleTV. A television that will actually replace your computer. This product will be a clone between an iMac and a telly. This computer will of cause be operated from your couch with your new apple remote. Better speach comands will be introduced to this baby too!!!8)

TVs will never replace computers. This is a bad idea and it has always been a bad idea. Back in the mid-ninties when people thought "World Wide Web" was a good buzzword, it seemed right - you really don't need new hardware. But then they realized that people need computers to do all kinds of things. What if I want to write a paper and a roommate wants to watch TV. What will I do? What if I don't want to write things from a keyboard on my lap? What about the fact that it brings the work environment into the family and home environments. I'm sorry, this is a dead end.

The future will follow the model we have with the Apple TV. One or two computers for the house, with different external components that work in a centralized network. There'll be some redundancy in function, but the pieces will be individually replaceable and flexible. The main computer will do a lot of the management and might multi-task, something for which multicore chipsets are especially good. It's possible the central computer will be headless and accessed by terminals, but it will most definitely not be integrated into the media center/TV.

Quote:

Imagine how fast Handbrake will finally work...

It's now called MediaFork, and it's finally been updated. It's much better, especially interface-wise.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Good news after loooooong time!.

When was the last time apple did NOT released a new product after new year?, it is 1st march, no new product launch except announcement of iPhone, AppleTV still enroute to customer ...

Specs bumped iMacs??? Santa Roas suppose to be ready by May from Intel.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by syvalley View Post

So, what will we do with an 8-processor Mac? Anyone know what clock-speed Intel has managed to eek out of this monster?

heard 3.0 GHz to top that X53XX series Quad Core Xeon, but it will at the high thermal envelope...
  • Reply 10 of 36
    I wouldn't expect many updates. The only hardware Apple will unveil is the Mac Pro and possibly new displays.

I wouldn't expect to see upgraded iMacs, MacBooks, or Mac minis till late Q2 as this hardware will probably include the new Santa Rosa chipset which will dramatically improve video performance on these Macs.

MacBook Pros are a totally different animal altogether. They still haven't become as powerful as some PC Laptops, specifically the AlienWare laptops. Some may perceive these to be expensive toys and hardware overkill, but truth is they are great for video work. Especially with their slot loading, RAID capable HDDs. All available for a slightly lower price than the MacBook Pro.

I expect Apple to do something big with the MacBook Pro.

As for iPods, Christmas time. We, at PodPacker, can't wait that long, though. True Video iPods will really boost our clientele.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    would Logic Pro 8 be appropriate????
  • Reply 12 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

heard 3.0 GHz to top that X53XX series Quad Core Xeon, but it will at the high thermal envelope...

That's the minimum speed I'm hoping for because I'm not sure there are going to be many apps (initially anyway) that take advantage of all those cores. It would be nice to see the DDR2 SDRAM requirement go away. Wonder if we'll see a new form factor?
  • Reply 13 of 36
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by podpacker View Post

MacBook Pros are a totally different animal altogether. They still haven't become as powerful as some PC Laptops, specifically the AlienWare laptops.

That's because they are a totally different class of product. Apple don't seem to be interested in "desktop replacement" laptops, presumably because Steve is obsessed with laptops being " 1" thin". I feel this is probably a mistake and Apple should offer a bulky, loud, super-heavy, powerful laptop for those who feel they want one. Oh wait, it's called an iMac
  • Reply 14 of 36
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post

would Logic Pro 8 be appropriate????

Rumor has it that Logic Pro 8 may be announced at Musikmesse this month. That would make sense and Winter NAMM has sucked the last couple of years while Musikmess has been the new hottness in tradeshows.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

That's because they are a totally different class of product. Apple don't seem to be interested in "desktop replacement" laptops, presumably because Steve is obsessed with laptops being " 1" thin". I feel this is probably a mistake and Apple should offer a bulky, loud, super-heavy, powerful laptop for those who feel they want one. Oh wait, it's called an iMac

I guess I'm just an idiot, but can someone tell me what they CAN"T do on a Macbook Pro that they need to do (besides play games).
  • Reply 16 of 36
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    It seems like every year Apple had at least one updated pro software package and at least one updated pro computer announced at the NAB show. I also heard it noted that Apple's booth this year is about 60% larger than last year's booth.

I like what Apple announces for the show, but NAB's lobbying policies regarding radio makes it seem like a front for Clearchannel, so I have mixed feelings.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Don't forget, Apple has yet to release a new version of iLife, iWork and .Mac this year.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Rumor has it that Logic Pro 8 may be announced at Musikmesse this month. That would make sense and Winter NAMM has sucked the last couple of years while Musikmess has been the new hottness in tradeshows.

ah, right. i was getting the two mixed up. yes, musikmesse would make sense and it's well over due! fingers crossed for a soundtrack pro/aperture quality UI overhaul!! PLEASE!!!!!
  • Reply 19 of 36
    wow.... three audible.com click-thrus in one frame of this report... my itty-bitty 12" ibook can't handle the overkill. lol
  • Reply 20 of 36
    wally007wally007 Posts: 121member
    I think it's pretty simple what IS going to be there and what is NOT.

iLife , .Mac and iWork will surely NOT be there.

Final Cut Studio 6 , and sneak peak at Motion/Shake hybrid are pretty much given. ( not so sure about sneak peak but Final Cut 6 HAS to be released before summer when Premiere Pro with Encore / After Effects make their move in the Mac land. )

If Mac Pro is not updated by then , it will be at NAB. One of my friends just recieved shipment of his new Dell workstation , 2xQuadcore 2.33Ghz. So Apple is behind again. ( also his wasnt expensive at all , $7100 with SAS drive(s) and 16gb Ram. )

Quadcores top out at 2.66Ghz. There's few mnf's that overclock them to 3.0ghz to match DualCores but this way they're pretty heavy on the $$$ front.

And i've pretty much given up on Apple as far as monitors. I thought they HAD to be updated last summer to be even remotly competetive , but i guess Apple doesnt really care. 20" and 23" cant be moving at all , at these prices...

Overall Final Cut 6 and Mac Pro i think wll be enough to blow our socks off.