Mac sales growth up over 100 percent in January, says firm

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    bert25bert25 Posts: 16member
    I think we just saw the last opportunity to buy APPL in the low to mid $80s. I'm holding the majority of my APPL long, bought it when it was around $7 (split adjusted).

I do play with some, buying on dips. Been doing pretty good, my last sell was at $92 (I bought at $76), before that I bought at $51 and sold for $80. So I just love both good news and bad news (specialy when most bad news are FUD ). I bought more AAPL last month but it didn't hit my sell price so I have no cash to buy more I could set my sell price to make a small profit on each share, but then I would need more money than I'm willing to risk.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    Maybe the worldwide coverage for the iPhone has had a positive knock-on effect for Mac sales?

- it was front page news around the globe...representing $1ms of free advertising...

- perhaps causing 100s of millions of people to suddenly take a renewed interest in Apple in general

- good job Jobs!

• Reply 23 of 41
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

Lately, I have noticed a trend among places with less than 500 computers, like graphics houses who have solid Mac users and everyone else on PCs. . . . With the Intel switch, a number of I.T. types are beginning to look at Macs as the sole source for hardware.

You make a very interesting point, which I hadn't thought of before. Now if Apple would add a couple new desktop Macs to the product line, something that is more appealing to I.T. types. Several of us Mac users would welcome such new desktop models too.

Regarding AAPL stock, I am very pleased. I too bought at $7 a share, adjusted for the last split. I'd be happier with more, but we gotta buy food too.

• Reply 24 of 41
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bert25 View Post

I think we just saw the last opportunity to buy APPL in the low to mid $80s. I'm holding the majority of my APPL long, bought it when it was around $7 (split adjusted).

I do play with some, buying on dips. Been doing pretty good, my last sell was at $92 (I bought at $76), before that I bought at $51 and sold for $80. So I just love both good news and bad news (specialy when most bad news are FUD ). I bought more AAPL last month but it didn't hit my sell price so I have no cash to buy more I could set my sell price to make a small profit on each share, but then I would need more money than I'm willing to risk.

Great buys, Bert. My last batch I bought at $50, but the majority was bought at $11.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    restalotrestalot Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samurai1999 View Post

Maybe the worldwide coverage for the iPhone has had a positive knock-on effect for Mac sales?

- it was front page news around the globe...representing $1ms of free advertising...

- perhaps causing 100s of millions of people to suddenly take a renewed interest in Apple in general

- good job Jobs!

Don't forget Steve's publicity stunt with the Securities and Exchange commission to keep his name in the papers... How many more Mac's do you think that publicity has sold so far...
  • Reply 26 of 41
    blue2kdaveblue2kdave Posts: 652member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsg View Post

Mac sales did not surge 100%. Rather, growth in sales increased 100%. So what actually happened is growth in sales increased from 4% or whatever last year to 8% or so. This means that Apple is only shipping 8% more units than last year. This is good news, but not that amazing.

Since the transition to intel last year and the lack of universal pro apos depressed growth of Apple's sales last year, it is not surprising to see things springing back this year.

WOW, a first post that's insightful and adds to the discussion. Thanks!
  • Reply 27 of 41
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

Mac sales did not surge 100%. Rather, growth in sales increased 100%. So what actually happened is growth in sales increased from 4% or whatever last year to 8% or so. This means that Apple is only shipping 8% more units than last year. This is good news, but not that amazing.

You are correct in saying Mac sales did not grow 100 percent, but the article you refer to does not make such a claim. The article says that growth of sales increased 100 percent, which is true. It increased from 4 percent to 8 percent, which is double the growth.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Sales of Apple Inc.'s Mac line of personal computers saw year-over-year growth accelerate over 100 percent during the month of January . . .

My only quibble with the article is the use of the word 'accelerate' to mean increase. But then, I'm a physicist.

• Reply 28 of 41
    jsgjsg Posts: 4member
    Unless of course sales actually did increase 100%. In which case... whoah.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    jsgjsg Posts: 4member
    Unless of course sales actually did increase 100%. In which case... whoah.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    Quote:

Since the transition to intel last year and the lack of universal pro apos depressed growth of Apple's sales last year, it is not surprising to see things springing back this year.

I'm loosing count of the differentials in this article, but:

Quote:

In a brief research note distributed to clients on Thursday, the firm cited NPD market research data which implies that year-over-year growth in Mac unit sales accelerated in January to 101 percent, up from 55 percent in December.

This means that the December 2005 to December 2006 growth was 55%, and the January 2006 to January 2007 growth was 101%

- so the growth has indeed increased (from 55% to 101% growth)

i.e. Apple, in January, shipped 101% more units than last year (i.e. double the number of units)

and the article also say the ASPs are up

- i.e. the unit volume growth is not due to a reduction in the ASPs

- so the revenue growth was higher at 108%

- i.e. the Mac revenue for January was more than double the previous year.

• Reply 31 of 41
    hugodraxhugodrax Posts: 116member
    I will say we did switch our desktops to Mac pros from dell precisions, price was right and the quality of the case and the inside is so much nicer overall.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    wircwirc Posts: 302member
    A friend of mine who works at a 800-student private school was talking about this. The wanted more standardization so that they could replace parts easily and compensate for problems, like using a partition on a server to fill in for a broken HD. But they went with ThinkCentres because of addiction to SmurfOS and because they would have to buy thousands of dollars worth of replacement software.

I think that the latter issue will continue to slow any kind of transition of small places unless they have serious budgets. The amount of money invested in software is tremendous, and places that do not have large budgets will only switch gradually or with the threat of obsolescence. Because of that issue, the big updates (Office 2007, ShinyOS) that are coming out from Microsoft will probably drive some people away. So, even though software entrenchment will continue to be a huge obstacle in switching, in the short term, I bet there'll be increases.

It is quite likely that this same problem will boost Linux installation as well.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    Quote:

Uhh... Read on, jsg. It's accurate... most words can have multiple meanings, these articles aren't meant to be legal docs that are 'perfectly' accurate... Or I might be the only one on here who could read them. :P
  • Reply 34 of 41
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

THANK YOU for pointing this out......
  • Reply 35 of 41
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Your numbers are off.

2nd quarter '06, Apple shipped 1,112,000 computers.

The new estimate for this 2nd quarter '07, is now for at least 1,495,000 computers to ship. "Significantly" more than that. Perhaps even 1,600,000.

This is not an 8% increase.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blue2kdave View Post

WOW, a first post that's insightful and adds to the discussion. Thanks!

Except that it's wrong.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Your numbers are off.

The new estimate for this 2nd quarter '07, is now for at least 1,495,000 computers to ship. "Significantly" more than that. Perhaps even 1,600,000.

Yep, the wording of the original article may be confusing, but it's definitely saying a 100% increase in SALES for January (year-on-year)

I guess that, if true, and sustained at anything like these levels, this is so astounding that no one can quite believe it!

I guess we shall see in a few weeks when the Q2 results are out!

• Reply 38 of 41
    Quote:

Except that it's wrong.

Well, I guess 2 out of 3 ain't bad!

- especially for around here!

• Reply 39 of 41
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

Your numbers are off.

Not only is jsg's numbers wrong, he misunderstood the article completely.

The references stated to 4 and 8 % are not sales related. They are in reference to ASP, that is average selling price. Entirely different.

What is not understood in this broker''s releases i.e., "…brief research note(s) (are routinely) distributed to clients…" are only in part, and without the previous releases for comparison, it can be quite confusing. In particular, for the first time reader or certainly when only seeing these client releases as they occassionally post here.

As you rightfully pointed out, "2nd quarter '06, Apple shipped 1,112,000 computers." And when one compares that data to this broker's projections, it is significant.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    bert25bert25 Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wings View Post

If you own Apple stock, look out. If past history is any indication, when Apple announces a big whopping increase is sales, far and above any analyst's expectations, the stock will drop like a rock.

Total weirdness I tell ya.

AAPL down -$1.61 two hours before close

Even weirder is that DELL is up slightly today with their disappointing 4Q report...

Dell reported late Thursday its fourth-quarter profit fell 33% to $673 million from a year ago as the personal-computer giant struggled with a decline in sales and increased competition from top rivals such as Hewlett-Packard Co.

those windoze zealots are just too strong