iPhone without the Phone

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I was wondering if anybody knew if apple is gonna release an iphone that doesnt include the phone and is cheaper then it is now... The iPhone right now wont work with alot of cell phone companies, and also it doesnt have much space for music/movies/pics... So it would be really nice to have a touchscreen IPOD without the phone in it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    We may see something like this in September/October. I doubt it would come before the iPhone is released because that might eat into iPhone sales. I'm not sure about whether the web-browsing will make it into this phoneless iPhone, but I think that the iPhone is what the 6Gen iPod will be like (the styling may be a little different to differentiate the two). We'll see, right?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Funny you asked this question. I've long (LONG) been calling for a handheld Palm-like computer, just enough for me to schedule iCal appointments on. I know it sounds silly, but I just wanted to be able to use an Apple-designed portable scheduler that would sync with my Powerbook seamlessly. When iPhone came out, everything about it was exactly what I wanted, EXCEPT the fact that it includes a phone! I don't need a phone! My little tiny cheapo LG is perfect for my needs. But I do want a handheld computer.

I suspect the next iteration of the iPod with multitouch will be sufficient for my purposes, but I have no need for a do-everything phone. To me, a phone is a phone, and a computer is a computer. I am unconvinced that they should be merged.

Thankfully, however, I probably am in the minority here. Apple can make its money on iPhone, build some revenue, and then give me my NewNewton (or whatever they call it) when they have some money to blow.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    iPhone without the phone (iPWOP) sure makes sense. You won't even be able to buy an iPhone without signing a contract so for those who want PDAs with music, an iPWOP would be great. And, for those wanting to watch movies it would be good too.

I'm inclined to think putting touch screens on all iPods would be a bad idea. It's nice being able to reach in your pocket and turn up the volume or skip a song without looking. It will be hard to do that with a touch screen. I'm not sure the iPWOP is for me but I think Apple should offer one.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    wouldn't an iPhone without the phone just be an i ?

but to be serious, that is a really good idea. i do hope they do that. but with bigger storage space.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Monster33 View Post

I was wondering if anybody knew if apple is gonna release an iphone that doesnt include the phone and is cheaper then it is now... The iPhone right now wont work with alot of cell phone companies, and also it doesnt have much space for music/movies/pics... So it would be really nice to have a touchscreen IPOD without the phone in it.

i totally agree with you... the iphone doesn thave enough memory for my media files... the iphone is the MOST CHEERFUL (in terms of storage) ipod ever; but the COOLEST phone ever.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryanisalifestyle View Post

the iphone is the MOST CHEERFUL

I think you've mistaken this board for a middle school cafeteria.

We're adults here. Hateful language doesn't go over so well.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Think about it, though: what does the phone portion of the iPhone cost?

Considering most phones are ~$100, it's say cutting it out would shave what, $40 off the total price? Taking off the camera might take another $20.

You'd still be paying for the large screen, wifi, expensive processors, sensors, etc.

That's the beauty of convergence—the parts overlap. The flipside is that cutting out one piece of that doesn't appreciably lower the final cost.

A phone-less iPhone couldn't realistically come below $450.