Excellent Vista review...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
........If your a mac fan!

Vista review

Thank God I switched to Mac 2 years ago.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Poor bastard. He started off with "Pentium 4 processor running at 2GHz, 384MB of RAM, a 64MB graphics card, and a Creative SB Live audio card). Since then I had added memory (to 768MB), a second hard disk, extra USB ports and a Wifi card." and then had to upgrade, upgrade, upgrade.

My comments in regular type, the article snippets in italics:

* Where was the internet? I could see my router, but nothing beyond - even after a full day of tinkering with various network wizards. My BBC laptop proved that this was not a problem with my router or ISP.

TRAGIC

* Why did my Philips webcam refuse to work? The Upgrade Advisor had explicitly said it would.

Never listen to Microsoft.

* What hardware was responsible for the three driver errors flagged up by Vista? One seemed to be the sound card - oh yes, why did I have no sound? But which mysterious "PCI input device" was lacking a driver? And what was the "unknown device" flagged up by Vista?

nVidia motherboard chipset. Great Vista drivers. I had no problems with sound, networking. GPU drivers and/or Vista, no good. I use XP for games.

Linksys G PCI card - no problems. Wireless works quite well indeed in Vista, better than the Linksys PCI card does in XP. (Sharing my neighbour's router).

SEE BELOW POST

* Why did I get a "disk is full" error message every time I tried to install my keyboard's new Intellitype software? Why did Vista refuse to uninstall the XP-version of Intellitype?

Mmm... Intellitype. More pain.

* I knew that Apple had failed to make iTunes Vista-ready, so I didn't even try.

Ironically, if he just installed it, he would have found it works quite well as it is, if you don't have purchases, AFAIK. I found Quicktime and iTunes to be generally OK.

(AMD64 2ghz singlecore 1gb ram nvidia 6600GT 128mb ram)

* But why did Microsoft's successor of Activesync, called Windows Mobile Device Center, refuse to hook up Outlook to my trusty old Pocket PC?

Ah, Microsoft-based PDAs. More pain.

You will probably enjoy Vista, but there's little reason to do it the hard way.

Best to do Vista with a new computer (that's why the hardware manufacturers love Vista coming 'round to push PC sales and upgrades, mostly brand new PC sales).

• Reply 2 of 6
    Not sure why the author had trouble with his Linksys Wifi card. Probably an older one doesn't work well with Vista. My LINKSYS WMP54G Version 4 PCI card works a treat.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    A classic case of:

"If you don't know what you're doing, call a professional."

• Reply 4 of 6
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Skat,

That's the point. This guy is a windows enthusiast and had trouble upgrading. The average user will have even more difficulty upgrading. Should consumers need a 'professional' to upgrade their home systems to vista?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Should consumers need a 'professional' to upgrade their home systems to vista?

Yes, that's the idea.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Skat,

That's the point. This guy is a windows enthusiast and had trouble upgrading. The average user will have even more difficulty upgrading. Should consumers need a 'professional' to upgrade their home systems to vista?

They shouldn't. But the word on the street will be to push a new computer rather than upgrade. Major retailers in several countries, I've seen, it's all "BUY NOW - BRAND NEW COMPUTER VISTA READY - THE WOW IS HERE"....!!