Hooking Up Mac mini to a TV

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I was just wondering how one would hook a Mac mini up to a big screen tv. I have a 42" Sony Grand Wega LCD rear projection tv with an HDMI input, a DVI input and component and composite inputs. I would bring the video over using the DVI input, but how would I bring the audio over without using a receiver and/or external speakers. Any help would be apreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    ricksbrainricksbrain Posts: 517member
    Component cables.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I belive component cables only carry video. There are also no componet inputs on the Mac mini. Like I said I would use a cable to go from the VGA/DVI port on the mini to the DVI input on my tv to carry the video signal, but since that only carries video I would need something else to carry the audio.

I've seen cables for the video iPod that hook into the headphone jack of the iPod and then is split into composite cables at the other end to hook up to a tv or other device. Could I use a cable like this and go from the audio out jack on the back of the mini, then use the left and right audio (red and white) to hook up to the tv and just not plug in the video (yellow).
  • Reply 3 of 9
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    That's how you'd go about doing it.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Thanks for the reply. I'd like to find a cable with a headphone jack on one end, then split into left and right audio on the other end without the video so there is nothing left hanging. Does anyone know ware you can find a cable like this. Thanks.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    Hit Radio Shack or some place. I think it's called a Y-splitter... I'm really not sure though.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    smax is right; you can buy those anywhere.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Okay, I'll check it out. Thanks guys.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Make sure you get a stero splitter rather than mono.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Okay, thanks again.