Interprete this - iPhone

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
http://www.macosrumors.com/

"Suffice to say that the various Voice-Over-IP rumors are true; Apple wants to make the iPhone not just a cellular platform but also very much capable of taking advantage of Wi-Fi & Bluetooth-based network connections to make calls much like the popular Wi-Fi Skype phones available from Netgear (~$150 USD) & Belkin (~$220 USD minus ~$30 rebate).

Just imagine how much better that price -- $499 for 4GB of Flash disk, $599 for 8GB -- will sound when you are essentially getting the same sort of service that one can get over Skype, without Skype's increasing baggage under the eBay umbrella.

We're talking about a lot less than $50/year for incoming and outgoing calls to any phone number in the U.S. & Canada for free, plus your own incoming phone number, voicemail and all the usual services expected for other voice networks. Possibly less than $20/year, and also including a few ".Mac"-style extra features that will really knock the value equation out of the park. That initial price will be providing a phone that can do a lot more than just make calls over the 2.5G and later 3.x/4.x "G" cellular networks; it will be changing the game entirely to a phone that can tap into whatever is the best way to make a call at the moment, regardless of what wireless network(s) are available to you."

Questions... What would the point of a VOIP enabled cell phone be if u still had to use a specific cellular carrier? Are most cellular networks a "G" network? Does this mean I could log into the internet via any 2.5G+ cellular network and use the VOIP capabilities?

http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/10111/53/ is clamming that "Jajah will allow iPhone users to bypass their cellphone network charges to make and receive Voice over IP calls, without the need for internet access."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    ebrunnebrunn Posts: 75member
    "wish in one hand shit in the other see which fills up first.."
  • Reply 2 of 2
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OS X Guy View Post

We're talking about a lot less than $50/year for incoming and outgoing calls to any phone number in the U.S. & Canada for free, plus your own incoming phone number, voicemail and all the usual services expected for other voice networks. ...

I'm having trouble understanding your question. However, I am aware of no VoIP service for free or one which even approaches the price of a year of phone calls for $50. OTOH, AT&T offers the Unity Plan for subscribers of its land lines and cellphones. Unity subscribers may call any other AT&T phone--whether cell phone or land line--for free.