4GB Shuffle?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Just a dumb question, since I don't know physically how large the Shuffles memory is, is there physically room to have more than just 1GB of memory?

I know the complaints, no screen, but I don't want a screen with my Shuffle. It's perfect the way it is, but I'd like more memory.

Maybe larger capacity Shuffles could be in the future.......

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Maybe.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post

Maybe larger capacity Shuffles could be in the future.......

It would be far more useful if Apple re-integrated the USB port as with the 1Gen Shuffle.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

It would be far more useful if Apple re-integrated the USB port as with the 1Gen Shuffle.

I don't even mind that at all. There's actually a third-party device that allows you to plug directly into the usb port of the Mac/PC.

I'd REALLY love to have an 8gb Shuffle though!
  • Reply 4 of 9
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

Not physically possible with the current design and size. That's why the headphone jack is also the charge jack. As for more memory, at the moment there is only space for one chip. Until the flash chips are made smaller, it's a 1 Gig jobbie.

I love mine by the way and I think that 500ish songs is fine for what I use it for.. running, biking and climbing.

I use my regular iPod for anything else.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

Not physically possible with the current design and size. That's why the headphone jack is also the charge jack. As for more memory, at the moment there is only space for one chip. Until the flash chips are made smaller, it's a 1 Gig jobbie.

I love mine by the way and I think that 500ish songs is fine for what I use it for.. running, biking and climbing.

Sure, I just recently saw a very small device that is usb on one end and "headphone style" on the other end. It's very small. I can't remember where I saw it though.

My thought on the memory size was that with other styles of memory, ie SD, CF etc, the physical size of the "container" was the same no matter what size of memory it contained. I was hoping the this might be the same with the Shuffle's memory, so that I could get a 4GB or even larger capacity Shuffle, in the same enclosure that it now is.

I too use mine for biking, or for just shuffling thru songs at my desk. I don't care to see any visible display. For that I use my Nano too.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    pdogpdog Posts: 2member
    is this the adapter?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

Samsung and Toshiba both are moving new 2GB chips into production within months (Aprilish). Give Apple a 3 month lag and you can get a ballpark for when and if the Shuffle gets a bump. Probably the whole line since the last time Samsung increased density (June 2006) we got a refresh 3 months later.

I would guess that the 1GB x 4 packaging in the Nano is thicker than the 1GB single layer flash used in the shuffle so I suppose they could bump the Shuffle today if they made it a little thicker and heavier but that probably just kills the 2GB Nano...

Vinea
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Yep, that's one of them. You can also find similar ones on eBay.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMick View Post

I don't even mind that at all. There's actually a third-party device that allows you to plug directly into the usb port of the Mac/PC.

But if I wanted to carry around anything else, the current connector is fine. What I like about my 1Gen shuffle is that it has all you need in the unit to connect it to your computer.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift

Not physically possible with the current design and size. That's why the headphone jack is also the charge jack.

It would obviously need to be a bit larger to accomodate the USB port, but I think that it is a useful enough feature to make the sacrifice in size. You may disagree, but I love my Shuffle.