Plug-In Toyota Prius

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Interesting development... someone's listening.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070302/...ota_press_dc_1

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    It makes too much sense to see the light of day.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 239member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by groverat View Post

It makes too much sense to see the light of day.

Especially if Congress sticks its nose into Toyota's success here.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Toyota is very conservative organization, but they have a sincere internal corporate push to become the most environmentally-conscious of the big automakers, considering the product. I think they'll soon surpass Honda's vehicles in terms of miles per gallon.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    If I had a plug-in hybrid, I could go nearly 6 months without filling up.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

If I had a plug-in hybrid, I could go nearly 6 months without filling up.

And the state and federal government would get no road tax for 6 months! I don't think the plug-in car will get here until the legislators figure out a way to tax it.

• Reply 6 of 8
    Not to be dense here but what exactly is a "plug-in hybrid"? Traditional hybrids to my knowledge recharge their batteries during the process of driving the vehicle. Is a plug-in hybrid just a total electric vehicle or do the current hybrids not charge their batteries enough while being driven?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    It would be a hybrid with more batteries...
  • Reply 8 of 8
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by opuscroakus View Post

Not to be dense here but what exactly is a "plug-in hybrid"? Traditional hybrids to my knowledge recharge their batteries during the process of driving the vehicle. Is a plug-in hybrid just a total electric vehicle or do the current hybrids not charge their batteries enough while being driven?

No, they do not charge their batteries enough while being driven. Not enough to accelerate and run for any distance with out the gas powered combustion. The generated electricity just augments the drive efficiency, it does not drive the car for any great length of time.

This, of course, makes sense. If you could just drive arround all day only using regenrerated electricity and not the gas engine, well that would be perpetual motion.

A plug-in hybrid would allow hybrid cars to go some miles every day without using the combustion engine much (if at all depending on your acceleration needs) but would still be a hybrid to make them useful in the event range is needed or acceleration or if you forgot to plug in overnight or if you spend the night somewhere without a plug...