Mac & Windows Partition on 1 external HD

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ok I want one partition on my hard drive to be HFS+ to use with OSX only and one smaller partition to be Fat32 so that I can use it with both Windows and OSX if i need to. I tried to format my drive with 1 partition HFS+ and the other free space and then go into windows and try to format the free space only but it wont let me and it only recognizes the whole drive. I have stuff on the HFS+ partition that i dont want to lose if possible. Thanks...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacSuperiority View Post

Ok I want one partition on my hard drive to be HFS+ to use with OSX only and one smaller partition to be Fat32 so that I can use it with both Windows and OSX if i need to. I tried to format my drive with 1 partition HFS+ and the other free space and then go into windows and try to format the free space only but it wont let me and it only recognizes the whole drive. I have stuff on the HFS+ partition that i dont want to lose if possible. Thanks...

Hi There...

How r u using Windowze to format your drive?

You can right click on 'My computer' and then go to 'Manage'. There, you go to 'Disk Management' in Storage (on the left menu).

Through here, you can have access to all partitions in your HDD. So, you can choose the one you want and format it as you wish.

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Yea thats what I tried to do but for my drive it just sees the entire drive as one partition and doesnt recognize that I already partitioned it into a HFS+ and free space partition in OSX using the disk utility. Maybe ill have to start over and start with the Fat32 parition and then use disk utiltiy to format the remander as HFS+.