Anybody out there using BOINC?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I've just downloaded BOINC for Mac OS X on my MacBook (I read about the guy who recovered a laptop through the SETI thing, and thought I'd put my bit of effort in ET search)... But it seems that the BOINC program always takes up all CPU power, since the fan has been constantly whizzing when the program is running. Changing the preferences to utilize only 50% CPU power doesn't seem to work. Is there any way to set BOINC to crunch numbers only when the screen saver is on? (Cool screensaver, by the way..)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    fuzz_ballfuzz_ball Posts: 390member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piatigorsky View Post

I've just downloaded BOINC for Mac OS X on my MacBook (I read about the guy who recovered a laptop through the SETI thing, and thought I'd put my bit of effort in ET search)... But it seems that the BOINC program always takes up all CPU power, since the fan has been constantly whizzing when the program is running. Changing the preferences to utilize only 50% CPU power doesn't seem to work. Is there any way to set BOINC to crunch numbers only when the screen saver is on? (Cool screensaver, by the way..)

I can only say that since I installed BOINC (for rosetta@home) I've had 3 kernel panics (all apparantly related to memory). Since I have stopped using BOINC, I haven't had a single kernal panic. Btw, I have a dual 3GHz Mac Pro. Anyone else experiencing kernal panics with BOINC???
  • Reply 2 of 5
    bacillusbacillus Posts: 313member
    If you are in a giving mood and cannot use that, how about this ?!?

http://www.macresearch.org/openmacgrid
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bacillus View Post

If you are in a giving mood and cannot use that, how about this ?!?

http://www.macresearch.org/openmacgrid

It *sounds* cool, but then it seems I would be opening up a bigger hole into my Mac using openmacgrid than I was using BOINC. I'll think on it though...
  • Reply 4 of 5
    hi_qhi_q Posts: 31member
    IN a nutshell - what is Boinc?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hi_Q View Post

IN a nutshell - what is Boinc?

it's how you participate in rosetta@home, seti, etc. Here is the link.