Next-gen video iPod still a ways out, sources say

Comments

• Reply 41 of 62
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I'd like to see if they can sell an iPhone shuffle. You don't know who you are going to call!

• Reply 42 of 62
    techboytechboy Posts: 183member
    I'm looking forward to the 6th generation video ipod and really is not interested in iphone unless Apple is coming out saying they won't ever make another video ipod and force upon us with only iphone to buy.

I really don't see the competition between a video ipod and iphone. As someone mention already neither 4gb nor 8gb will be large enough to handle today's demanding video podcasts. Those whom wants an iphone are on-the-go people that needs all the bells and whistles. For your average ipod user who just wants to watch video podcast and listen music won't waste more than $300 for a device. As long as they price it correctly and not be too freakin greedy on profit, Apple can't lose.
  • Reply 43 of 62
    charkocharko Posts: 84member
    cnocbui,

you've got it right.

I've got a pair of 'isolator' earphones and listen to music on the iPod in Apple Lossless quality. The sound quality is excellent.
  • Reply 44 of 62
    wallywally Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

- no hot-swappable batteries

I think you mean just "swappable" batteries... "Hot-Swappable" implies you can use the device while you swap the battery...
  • Reply 45 of 62
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MauiMac View Post

Apple will come out with a new iPod in October (like usual)...

I hope so.

I can't stand wait beyond that. Now some people saying will be here by 2008, just makes me cry.

October seems reasonable to me.

5" widescreen, touchscreen UI, 120 gig and price around $400 maybe $500 tops , I am sold.

I don't care for the iPhone because AT&T (Cingular), so I rather buy a widescreen iPod and keep my current phone and carrier. I bet tons of people are on the same boat as I am.
  • Reply 46 of 62
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

I really don't see the competition between a video ipod and iphone.

Apple's attention over time will likely focus more on the iPhone than the iPod. The mobile phone market is far far larger than the lone mp3 market. The mobile phone with mp3 player is expected to pass the lone mp3 player. It seems pretty clear the iPhone as a device will grow and perform more tasks as time goes on.

Lament for the iPod but time and industry move on.
  • Reply 47 of 62
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Umm... bollocks. They'll want the 6G touchscreen vidPod out in time for Xmas, come hell or high water.

The only real question is the price (well that and "will there be a flash version?"). Apple may try to milk it at the $399 and $499 pricepoints, at which point a lot of folks will go, "WTF? Only $100 less than iPhone, and there's no phone and no internet?" Early adopters and fanatics won't care, but everyone else will.

Whereas if it came out at $299 and $399 pricepoints, it would absolutely lay waste to everything else in the category. Guess we'll know in about 6-8 months...

++. It'll be out for xmas '07 -- no question.

I strongly suspect it will be first introduced as a high-capacity model at a higher price point ($399+) to supplement rather than replace existing 5.5G iPods, but we'll see.
  • Reply 48 of 62
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    1. Why, oh, why with the falling ram prices is the iPhone 4 & 8 gigs. It's obsolete out of the gate.

2. I suspect this rumor is correct, but it is disappointing. My 5g Ipod is having trouble holding its battery. I don't want to buy the model released almost a year ago.
  • Reply 49 of 62
    Quote:

I don't know why Apple is so sure that their iPhone is going to be such a mega-hit. I personally think it's going to be one of Apple's biggest flops in recent memory.

I only know one person who has even expressed interest in buying it, and even he said the price point is too high.

All of my colleagues and I use MULTIPLE 3rd-party apps on our Treo 650's (Pocket Quicken, FileMaker Pro, DirAsst, Vindigo, CityID, lots of games, and much more), and Apple has told all developers that there is no 3rd-party development opportunities available for the iPhone. Therefore, there is no reason for a consumer like myself and my colleagues to EVER buy an iPhone. Why would I spend $600 on a phone that doesn't even give me the ability to do what I can currently do on my phone?

In fact, I see very little reason for ANY consumer to spend so much money on a phone that doesn't even offer HALF the functionality of many of the phones on the market right now. The iPhone has:

- no vibrate mode

- no real keyboard that gives you tactile feedback

- no 3rd party apps nor games

- no built-in videocamera

- no "type ahead" feature to quickly find an address in your address book

- and much much more.

These are all VERY IMPORTANT features!

Not to mention the fact that most people hate Cingular! And their Internet prices are 10 times higher than Sprint's data rates! There's just way too much working against the iPhone for it to succeed.

Come on now, let's be honest for a moment -- now that all the hype has died down since Steve Jobs' reality distortion field at the MacWorld keynote, do you really know ANYBODY who is still clamoring for an iPhone? Nope, neither do I.

Sorry, but the iPhone is going to be a gigantic flop. Consumers aren't that stupid to plunk down that much money for a half-thought-out device like the iPhone.

hee hee hee hee!!!! Oh boy!

-A flop? Palm is great? -Only ONE person you know? (dewd, u need to get out more 'n' meet some ppl.! )

So you already KNOW all these shortcomings, eh? ->You Must have the First fully-functional retail iPhone; and before All of us! -Damn you Scotty, DAMN Yoooooouuuuuu!!!!! --KHAAAAANNNN!!! [shakes fist] (oops! -flashback; sorry) -Just SILLY assumptions. Silly. (love the hot-swappable batteries idea. -is that like a hot-swappable engine for a car?)

-And you and Aries 1B; -err,... Pocket Quicken?, FileMakerPro?, edit .doc, .xls, .ppt, must trade now!, -on a smartphone?????! (((but why??, -when jamming sharpened chopsticks under your fingernails is so much cheaper and more effective)))

OKAY, THAT'S IT!! -Both of You!: IN THE BOX, NOW!!!!, 3 Minute Penalty: "PC people attempting to think different", 15-Yards, Possesion to New England, FIRST DOWN! -TWEEEET!

(((-i don't think the iPhone was rly Meant for youze peeps; but John Hodgman IS waiting with the greyscale pie charts! )))

You are coming to a sad realization. Cancel or Allow? -Allow.
  • Reply 50 of 62
    Quote:

In fact, I see very little reason for ANY consumer to spend so much money on a phone that doesn't even offer HALF the functionality of many of the phones on the market right now. The iPhone has:

- no vibrate mode

- no real keyboard that gives you tactile feedback

- no 3rd party apps nor games

- no built-in videocamera

- no "type ahead" feature to quickly find an address in your address book

- and much much more.

These are all VERY IMPORTANT features!

well I find a couple of problems with that.

1) we have no idea if it has a vibrate mode. chances are excellent it does. The reason Jobs didn't demo it was because it's a commonplace feature these days. Wold you specifically demo air conditioning in a new car? Absolutely not. It's a waste of time and makes you look stupid. the same goes for a vibrate feature.

2) hot swappable batteries are nice in things like Laptops, but lets face it: it's not terribly practical to carry around several tiny batteries when you could carry a single long-lasting battery and a charger (the latter is much simpler to keep track of).

3) No third party Apps or games? Apple could open development to 3rd parties. They would simply control the place you could download those apps; it woud make sure that such Apps & games meet the iPhone H.I. guidelines. Besides, Apple hasn't spoken clearly on this one way or the other. Don't jump to conclusions.

4) What is the color of the sky on your planet? The iPhone has a 2 megapixel camera built in. That's higher resolution than the iSight. And the iSight does video just fine. Hence, since the iPhone runs Leopard, the Camera App that Jobs clearly mentioned will do NSTC (it's standard resolution for video, so why not?) video recording.

5) Umm, have you forgotten this? "Eventual users of the iPhone could also count on saving time by means of a few important control tricks, the footage reveals. An alphabetic side strip immediately jumps to tracks filed under a particular letter just by tapping the screen, breaking the tedium of scrolling through a large collection." This is just as easily applied to the address book app. Absolutely no reason why it won't be there.

6) much, much more? Geez, I'm starting to miss the days when Phones were just that: phones. quit typing emails and call someone already.
  • Reply 51 of 62
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

Cingular will cease to exist over the next few months. AT&T is the company that you want to start thinking about.

I sincerely hope that AT&T bulldozes every last vestige of Cingular into the soil, then, and starts fresh.

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 52 of 62
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    A true video iPod can't be introduced before the iPhone. It can't really be introduced before the iPhone's European launch either. It would mess too much with the whole iPhone launch. I think gradually the iPhone will take over the iPod as we know it today. And a next generation device that is between iPod and laptop could take over as an ultimate choise for watching video and working while you travel. Like a 9" multitouch tablet with full OS X.
  • Reply 53 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aries 1B View Post

I sincerely hope that AT&T bulldozes every last vestige of Cingular into the soil, then, and starts fresh.

V/R,

Aries 1B

New name, same management.
  • Reply 54 of 62
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BWhaler View Post

1. Why, oh, why with the falling ram prices is the iPhone 4 & 8 gigs. It's obsolete out of the gate.

It is? You mean compared to all those 16 and 32 gig smartphones that are flooding the market?
  • Reply 55 of 62
    boy_analogboy_analog Posts: 315member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

I hope so.

I can't stand wait beyond that. Now some people saying will be here by 2008, just makes me cry.

October seems reasonable to me.

5" widescreen, touchscreen UI, 120 gig and price around $400 maybe $500 tops , I am sold.

I don't care for the iPhone because AT&T (Cingular), so I rather buy a widescreen iPod and keep my current phone and carrier. I bet tons of people are on the same boat as I am.

True that.

Don't forget that that "boat" includes everyone outside the U.S. that wants to update their iPod this year...
  • Reply 56 of 62
    I personally think when the 6G iPod ships, it will look almost like the iPhone but will be thicker to accommodate either an 80 GB or 120 GB hard drive along with the battery pack. The unit will ship in September 2007 as part of Apple's yearly hardware "refresh" of the iPod models.

As for the touchscreen functionality, it will be like the iPhone in many ways but also will allow you to quickly bring up the classic "click wheel" interface, too.
  • Reply 57 of 62
    First off, to be honest and make myself sound stupid, I have never had an IPOD. My friend just gave me an IPOD mini of his, which is almost out of battery, aka pointless. I also have thousands of songs, which wont fit on there and that pisses me off, so I'm clearly looking to buy one soon, one that can fit my entire library. The thing that scares me the most about apple is they always come out with new hardware, and they arn't exactly cheap. An IPOD costs around 350$ and the mac I want costs 3000$. So, I don't want to keep buying the latest over and over again! So, eventhough I really want an IPOD now, I'm going to wait until they come out with the latest (hopefully this holiday season). 80GB sounds like it would hold my library now, but I NEED to be sure. Personally, the whole video thing on a IPOD pisses me off. Who wants to watch a damm movie on such a small screen??? I hate that! I can barely watch a movie on my computer, because I so prefer a big screen television or movie theater. THe perfect IPOD to me would be a device that ONLY holds music, has LOTS of battery life, has a large capacity(100gb maybe). Thats why I'm waiting until this holiday, HOPING Apple will release a new IPOD, with a larger capacity and better battery life. Even if they call it a "video ipod," I would only put music on there, so it wouldn't make any difference because it would still hold more music than before (hopefully)! Realistically, if an IPOD cannot hold ALL of my music library, then it's worthless, because I'm not going through the trouble to switch up my library every couple months, FUCK THAT. And, it better last long enough, because if it's similar to a cell phone battery, fuck off IPOD. But I really want one though =( lol. I just need something that can reach my high standards muahahahh!!! =D
  • Reply 58 of 62
    nevenmrgannevenmrgan Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swimm3r137 View Post

My friend just gave me an IPOD mini of his, which is almost out of battery, aka pointless.

You can get a replacement battery (from Apple) for $60. Not a bad total price for an iPod.

Quote:

The thing that scares me the most about apple is they always come out with new hardware, and they arn't exactly cheap. (...) So, I don't want to keep buying the latest over and over again!

The solution is to quit thinking that you need the latest and only the latest. I don't consider it a "problem" that Apple keeps coming out with excellent products.

Quote:

80GB sounds like it would hold my library now, but I NEED to be sure. Realistically, if an IPOD cannot hold ALL of my music library, then it's worthless, because I'm not going through the trouble to switch up my library every couple months, FUCK THAT.

What you need is to learn to use Smart Playlists. You'll find that people enjoy their 2 GB iPods with a smart playlist setup.

Quote:

Personally, the whole video thing on a IPOD pisses me off. Who wants to watch a damm movie on such a small screen??? I hate that! I can barely watch a movie on my computer, because I so prefer a big screen television or movie theater.

We're glad you shared that with us. I suggest you don't watch videos on your iPod then.

Quote:

THe perfect IPOD to me would be a device that ONLY holds music

It's quite simple, actually - it will only hold music if you only put music on it.

Quote:

And, it better last long enough, because if it's similar to a cell phone battery, fuck off IPOD. But I really want one though =( lol. I just need something that can reach my high standards muahahahh!!! =D

High standards indeed, dude, man, yo g dog. Good luck with your IPOD.
  • Reply 59 of 62
    rich-mysterrich-myster Posts: 771member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by podpacker View Post

Early adopters of Zune will be jumping out of Windows (pun intended).

hahahahhaa
  • Reply 60 of 62
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

IPOD

That is not how it is spelled. If you are going to argue against something, at least try to make it look like you know what you are talking about, spelling it wrong doesn't help.

I have a 1GB nano and it works fine with a smart playlist that automatically rotates songs out of a much bigger library. If you can't justify the price of the biggest one, then you can cull the list down to one that can fit. If you don't need video playback, you can just buy a 4th generation iPod, which I think has a better click wheel, and those can be had used for pretty cheap. The video iPod is still has a nicer screen, it's nice to have, even if you never use it to play video. Batteries is a non-issue for me. I haven't had to replace them but there are plenty of services that can replace them for fairly cheaply.