Adobe Creative Suite 3.0 launch confirmed for March 27

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Adobe Systems will officially roll out its highly anticipated Creative Suite 3.0 software bundle at a special event in New York City on March 27, the company confirmed on Monday.

According to information obtained by Macworld UK, Adobe plans to celebrate the global launch at the event, which will be webcast live at 8.30pm UK time. Expectations of a late-March release were first published by AppleInsider back in October.

Although the Adobe remained mum on specific features and applications due with Creative Suite 3.0, the company is billing the launch as "the largest software release in Adobe's 25-year history."

The San Jose-based software developer did, however, take liberties in launching a small teaser campaign dubbed "What's In the Box" to help further whet consumers' appetites. It includes an interactive website hosted off a U.K. domain where visitors are invited to "spin the box" and watch a brief video posted on YouTube.

In a note to clients last week, Merrill Lynch analyst Jay Vleeschhouwer said his checks indicate that Adobe has lined up half a dozen distinct bundles of the Creative Suite package that will sell at various price points, each including a different assortment of creative applications.

Creative Suite 3.0 has been one of the most highly anticipated high-end software releases of modern times, as it will be the first version designed to run natively on Apple Inc.'s line of Intel-based Mac computers. Its availability is expected to spark a sharp uptick in demand for the computer maker's high-end Mac Pro workstations and other assorted Pro hardware.

The release will also see an infusion of technologies and software applications brought in through Adobe's acquisition of Macromedia back in 2005. These include Dreamweaver CS3, which is expected to replace GoLive as the primary web authoring application in the release, and Fireworks CS3, which will take on the role of Adobe's Image Ready application.

In January, analysts at investment research firm PiperJaffray said initial feedback on the public preview of Photoshop CS3, Creative Suite's flagship image editor software, was a harbinger of much stronger Mac sales waiting in the wings. Analysts for the firm added that customer response to the beta software signaled that the final release would have "measurable positive impact" on Apple's Pro computer sales.

Adobe last week also confirmed plans to make an entry-level version of Photoshop available online as a hosted web service.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    bacillusbacillus Posts: 313member
    Just in time for a .edu discount
  • Reply 2 of 49
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    far out man, far out
  • Reply 3 of 49
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

far out man, far out

W00T! Score.
  • Reply 4 of 49
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Ah, yes. Good ol' "the Adobe". Where can we meet this great one?
  • Reply 5 of 49
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I guess there will be a lot of Intel Macs sold in April. Next big UB = MS Office.
  • Reply 6 of 49
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    That's more like it.

Finally, non-iPod upgrades are on the way!

Apple will release new Mac Pros either just before or just after CS3 ships. My guess is March 23rd.

The big question is...Will Leopard be ready?
  • Reply 7 of 49
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    excellent!

Time to sell my Quad G5!
  • Reply 8 of 49
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

That's more like it.

Finally, non-iPod upgrades are on the way!

Apple will release new Mac Pros either just before or just after CS3 ships. My guess is March 23rd.

The big question is...Will Leopard be ready?

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=72473
  • Reply 9 of 49
    donebyleedonebylee Posts: 521member
    Now the question becomes: "What's in the box?" As in how are they going to package it?

I for one would love to see a custom online-only version that lets you build your own CS3 suite of apps.

Also a cross-platform upgrade path from CS2 on a PC to CS3 on a Mac.

Ahhh, dreams................
  • Reply 10 of 49
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    what is the benefit for announcing CS 3.0 when leopard release near future, does CS 3.0 already contains software to take advantage of Leopard core features?

or will they be releasing a Service Release for Leopard???

Octo Mac Pro now can roll out of the factories ...
  • Reply 11 of 49
    rongoldrongold Posts: 302member
    No benefit. Adobe Systems just drags their feet. As soon as they release CS3, Apple will turn around and release Leopard, giving a big slap in the face to Adobe Systems, "In your face slow pokes." As if to say, "What took you so long?" "We could have done that in 6 months. Now get back to work and bring your application up to date."

I'm serious. Apple will release Leopard that next week. The first week of April.
  • Reply 12 of 49
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    Im thinking April as well, or maybe sometime in May for Leopard... it'll be out before June I'm almost certain though. CS3 should work fine on it.
  • Reply 13 of 49
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rongold View Post

No benefit. Adobe Systems just drags their feet. As soon as they release CS3, Apple will turn around and release Leopard, giving a big slap in the face to Adobe Systems, "In your face slow pokes." As if to say, "What took you so long?" "We could have done that in 6 months. Now get back to work and bring your application up to date."

Adobe did acquire Macromedia. I can imagine it must have been alotof work to merge both products together. Ow, and did I allready say that I do strongly hate Flash designed websites:

It's all eye candy, but you can't save a single picture into iPhoto or onto your damn desktop!!

Second annoyance: Flash enabled web sites that automatically explode to the width of your screen! Owmygod, I do hate 'em so much Booh to Flash and all those annoying Flashy graphic mobbers! Get a life and please stop crippling my Tiger!!!

I do appreciate Illustrator & Photoshop though ?

Quote:

I'm serious. Apple will release Leopard that next week. The first week of April.

Hmm, not so sure about that one. It's more likely they will release the all new 15" MBP. Forget Leopard for now, you should actually be more worried on how the next MBP keyboard is gonna look like
  • Reply 14 of 49
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

That doesn't make much sense to me. They've got developer previews of Leopard, and I wouldn't be surprised if some people at Adobe are also privy to whatever features are still being withheld from the public.

My assumption is that it's ready for Leopard. Heck, isn't there another thread about applications already being announced as Leopard only?
  • Reply 15 of 49
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

and did I allready say that I do strongly hate Flash designed websites:

It's all eye candy, but you can't save a single picture into iPhoto or onto your damn desktop!!

One word- "Grab".

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Second annoyance: Flash enabled web sites that automatically explode to the width of your screen! Owmygod, I do hate 'em so much...

I'm annoyed by dog poop on the sidewalk, but I just choose not to step in it. It doesn't mean I hate dogs, just those dog owners. Flash is great, some programmers, maybe not so much. But I can do stuff with Flash that cannot be done with any other application, so I love it.

And I'm really looking forward to CS3 because the current versions of Flash, InDesign, AfterEffects and Dreamweaver often crash on my Intel Mac. (save, save, save)

m
  • Reply 16 of 49
    donebyleedonebylee Posts: 521member
    Hmmm, according to MacWorld Adobe is announcing CS3 on the 27th, but the ship date is listed as: "later this spring."

Read it here.

And weep.

• Reply 17 of 49
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

One word- "Grab".

Dear milestone,

please help me out! I can't grab a picture on a Flash site. The picture seems to be frozen. A ctrl click with my mouse shows me a play-pause option Flash is so not web 2.0!

It is a great tool however for experimental visual artists! But not for sharing information (& building my mood board in iPhoto)!
  • Reply 18 of 49
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Grab is an application in your Utilities folder

Applications > Utilities > Grab
  • Reply 19 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

?I'm annoyed by dog poop on the sidewalk, but I just choose not to step in it. It doesn't mean I hate dogs, just those dog owners. Flash is great, some programmers, maybe not so much. But I can do stuff with Flash that cannot be done with any other application, so I love it?

Eh, Flash was great 5 years ago. Now? It still integrates poorly with the web/http and people have learned to abuse it. Flash is essentially a great idea with great momentum that failed to follow through. If that doesn't change, in 5 years it'll be totally irrelevant, which given Adobe's track record is a solid possibility.

And? Adobe's new video: "Look, we added more toys. Colored blocks and such. Pro features? Look, colored blinky lights!"

Well, hopefully not. The CS3 Beta was a disappointment, hopefully some of the features they added will be a bit more solid in the release.
  • Reply 20 of 49
    Quote:

Adobe was developing CS3 well before they had the option to do any sort of serious Leopard custom work—not that they really need to. Programs this size can’t possibly be agile enough to react on this level. After various known Leopard issues turn up and are properly understood they’ll get around to releasing an upgrade or two to iron things out a bit. Given how much they are remaking the software maybe we’ll get lucky and see some additional patching and integration, especially with the newfound inclusion of Macromedia’s product lineup.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChevalierMalFet View Post

Well, hopefully not. The CS3 Beta was a disappointment, hopefully some of the features they added will be a bit more solid in the release.

You’re speaking of Photoshop CS3 Beta? How was it a disappointment? I think the software is absolutely stellar. It features excellent performance improvements on all machines (not to mention being a wonderful Universal app). I’m much more impressed with it than I have been with a number of previous Photoshop builds.

I’m really looking forward to seeing what they do with Dreamweaver. Macromedia could have been more Mac friendly.