Importing mailboxes on Mail: how get Mail to "see" messages

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Mail recently deleted several thousand email messages (see thread "Rebuild Mailbox problem"). Fortunately I was backed up. I recovered the mailbox file -- INBOX.mbox and (re-) imported it into a new mailbox in Mail that i had created for the purpose.

Now get this: the messages that had been deleted (on January 3rd) did not appear in the mailbox that I had recovered from backup, dated Jan 1st! Impossible, right? So I looked at the filesizes: the recovered INBOX.mbox file was 30+MB, but the total size of the imported messages that Mail was seeing was a tenth that, about 3MB,

So it looks as though the messages are there, but Mail can't see them: as if there is a controller file or log file that has become corrupted.

So my work-around would go like this: Recover from backup the whole Boot Disk from before the loss. Boot up from the recovered volume (i.e. as if it's jan 1st again, using the version of Mail that existed then). I should then see the messages again. BUT, how then would i re-integrate them into 'Today'?

Ideas, anyone? Per the thread "Rebuild Mailbox problem", it looks like REBUILD may be the problem, not the solution.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Here's a tip. Don't start a new discussion which refers to a previous discussion without even a link to it. Stick with the original discussion where the information is. People can't be bothered to search or hop between threads.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Here's a tip. Keep different issues in different threads with accurate, descriptive titles, so that people searching for information on a specific issue can find it quickly, without having to sift through very long discussions covering a variety of subjects.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rechargeable View Post

Here's a tip. Don't start a new discussion which refers to a previous discussion without even a link to it. Stick with the original discussion where the information is. People can't be bothered to search or hop between threads.