Apple and Google working on "many more" projects

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Google chief executive Eric Schmidt said Monday that Google and Apple are continuing to collaborate on many new initiatives.

Schmidt made the comments at the Morgan Stanley Technology Conference in San Francisco while responding to a question concerning rumors that the two firms were working on a tablet-style personal computer.

Without commenting specifically on the rumor, Schmidt reportedly said Google and Apple are "doing more and more things together."

"We have similar goals, similar competitors," he added.

Thus far, Apple has integrated Google's geographical mapping service into its upcoming iPhone hand set. Rumors have also suggested that Google's technology will play an increasing role in the Mac maker's upcoming Leopard operating system release.

Schmidt, in addition to his role atop Google's executive hierarchy, is also a member of Apple's board of directors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 76
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Confirmed!

Google will remain platform agnostic, however... I wouldn't get too excited over this, unless they start swapping stock.
  • Reply 2 of 76
    lOOK OUT M$

HERE COMES TROUBLE FROM "GOMAC".

YUMMM MORE GREAT GOOD STUFF I LIKE WHEN THIGNS WORK OUT BETWWEN BIG COMP LIKE GOOGLE AND APPLE.
  • Reply 3 of 76
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    MacGoo sounds niftier than GoMac.
  • Reply 4 of 76
    wealjayswealjays Posts: 37member
    Googintosh?
  • Reply 5 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wealjays View Post

Googintosh?

defiantly
  • Reply 6 of 76
    banalltvbanalltv Posts: 238member
    Goople.

ps, praise the Lord, native Painter X, native PS CS3, like having a pencil sharp again.
  • Reply 7 of 76
    Google will likely duplicate any developments with Apple on other platforms. I'm not on the edge of my seat...yet.
  • Reply 8 of 76
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    AppleGoo it's delicious.
  • Reply 9 of 76
    This sort of bonding really warms the technological part of my heart. Especially because it means Microsoft will be sweating a little bit more.
  • Reply 10 of 76
    If this alliance became more secure, there could be some issues for M$. Google is ahead in the internet world, and Apple offers the better home products. Maybe with Leopard the Enterprise featureset will be stepped up.

We run Apples in our small office, but we virtualize windows, I find it better than using straight PCs and MS.... I have all of our filesharing and users centralized on the XServe which also runs Windows via Parallels. Weeks since I have done more than back-ups.... And I just put it up a month or two back without prior server experience.
  • Reply 11 of 76
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EruIthildur View Post

If this alliance became more secure, there could be some issues for M$. Google is ahead in the internet world, and Apple offers the better home products. Maybe with Leopard the Enterprise featureset will be stepped up.

We run Apples in our small office, but we virtualize windows, I find it better than using straight PCs and MS.... I have all of our filesharing and users centralized on the XServe which also runs Windows via Parallels. Weeks since I have done more than back-ups.... And I just put it up a month or two back without prior server experience.

I'm thinking about something similar for my mother's Law Firm. I'd like to got OS X Server (Leopard) for mail/calendar and general File/Print but I'll need Office 2007 and Amicus Attorney in Windows. Can you just elaborate a bit more on the breakdown of what you run virtualized and what's native to Macintosh? PM me if you feel this is too off topic.

I think Apple getting cozy with Google is a great thing. They have a common competitor in Microsoft. I'd love to have better linkage from iPhoto to Picasaweb. I'd like to have iCal and Google Calendar able to sync with ease. I'd love to have Apple mail and gmail support each other in some significant ways. It's really a win/win solution for both companies. They both pride themselves on creating cool stuff.
  • Reply 12 of 76
    What cool things have google created? I don't see why everyone is in love with google.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I'm thinking about something similar for my mother's Law Firm. I'd like to got OS X Server (Leopard) for mail/calendar and general File/Print but I'll need Office 2007 and Amicus Attorney in Windows. Can you just elaborate a bit more on the breakdown of what you run virtualized and what's native to Macintosh? PM me if you feel this is too off topic.

I think Apple getting cozy with Google is a great thing. They have a common competitor in Microsoft. I'd love to have better linkage from iPhoto to Picasaweb. I'd like to have iCal and Google Calendar able to sync with ease. I'd love to have Apple mail and gmail support each other in some significant ways. It's really a win/win solution for both companies. They both pride themselves on creating cool stuff.

• Reply 13 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

What cool things have google created? I don't see why everyone is in love with google.

Gmail is my preferred web calendar and it links with Google Calendar. If someone sends me an email about a party it does a fairly decent job of adding it to my calendar with little effort.

Picasa (although they've purchased this program) is honestly my favorite photo management application.

I routinely use Google Maps even moreso than Mapquest now and I use Google web search for movies a I simply type the name of the movie and my zip code and I get showtimes.

Google doesn't have Apple's flair and panache but they do have pretty good ideas that sometimes turn into decent products. More importantly Google is attempting to offer web based document creation and Apple can and should tie into this rather than attempt to create their own.
  • Reply 14 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Gmail is my preferred web calendar and it links with Google Calendar. If someone sends me an email about a party it does a fairly decent job of adding it to my calendar with little effort.

Picasa (although they've purchased this program) is honestly my favorite photo management application.

I routinely use Google Maps even moreso than Mapquest now and I use Google web search for movies a I simply type the name of the movie and my zip code and I get showtimes.

Google doesn't have Apple's flair and panache but they do have pretty good ideas that sometimes turn into decent products. More importantly Google is attempting to offer web based document creation and Apple can and should tie into this rather than attempt to create their own.

...don't forget, they've purchased some good companies also... SketchUp, anyone?
  • Reply 15 of 76
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

The Google Search Engine

Google Co-op

Gmail

Google Talk

Picasa 2

Google Earth

etc.

Sebastian
  • Reply 16 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

...don't forget, they've purchased some good companies also... SketchUp, anyone?

Oh yes. I'm just waiting for the Intel UB version to hit and I'll dabble with it. Forgot about that..thanks.

Sebastian thanks for the fill in. I haven't allowed myself to get addicted to Google Earth but I will.
  • Reply 17 of 76
    karbonkarbon Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

The Google Search Engine

Google Co-op

Gmail

Google Talk

Picasa 2

Google Earth

etc.

Sebastian

So, Picasa was created by Google? Nope, it was bought. Google Earth? Nope, bought as well. Gmail? Nope, it was based on a previous AJAX application.

So what are all those alleged PhD's doing at Google? I don't know, maybe bouncing their exercise balls?

But seriously, the search engine is great, but don't give them a lot of credit for "inventing" whatever they have acquired. It is what Microsoft has been doing for years...
  • Reply 18 of 76
    ricksbrainricksbrain Posts: 517member
    Wow, karbon. Welcome to the forums. Cranky first post, I must say...
  • Reply 19 of 76
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by karbon View Post

So what are all those alleged PhD's doing at Google? I don't know, maybe bouncing their exercise balls?

But seriously, the search engine is great, but don't give them a lot of credit for "inventing" whatever they have acquired. It is what Microsoft has been doing for years...

For Apple, the potential advantages in a close Google relationship could include things like

- Integrated email system (choose your own, or Google with ads, or pay for .Mac )

- Integrated calendaring (including better perception of an MS competitor for calendaring)

- Integrated mapping (as we know)

- Merging a youTube client into iTunes (iTube/YouTunes) - Google does the free (advertising-supported) stuff, Apple sells shows

- General integration of advertising (hopefully optional!) into Apple's model, making software free rather than paid for.

I'd also hope for an online storage model... though I'd rather see Apple work with existing offerings to encourage competition.

ps. I'm not sure, but the advertising link may be the most important. Like it or not, in the IPTV world we need a model for advertising that works - to make the advertisers happy AND allow for free ('sponsored') entertainment. This might be done badly (popups annoy me both on websites & at the bottom left of a TV show), or well (how about 1 ad instead of 5, but have that ad customised to me personally (not just my demographic) and stop me skipping it?)
  • Reply 20 of 76
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by karbon View Post

So, Picasa was created by Google? Nope, it was bought. Google Earth? Nope, bought as well. Gmail? Nope, it was based on a previous AJAX application.

Well no, not Google specifically but from what I understand, those employees who made the original Apps are working at Google now, so technically that would be Google.

Anyways, what's this "previous AJAX application" because last I checked, it was based off of a version of Gmail that was used internally.

Sebastian