Adobe Creative Suite 3.0 launch confirmed for March 27

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChevalierMalFet View Post

Eh, Flash was great 5 years ago. Now? It still integrates poorly with the web/http and people have learned to abuse it. Flash is essentially a great idea with great momentum that failed to follow through. If that doesn't change, in 5 years it'll be totally irrelevant, which given Adobe's track record is a solid possibility.

You don't have to use it if you don't want to, you can also uninstall the plugin.

For what I'm doing, nothing works better. I build full on business applications such as GPS real-time tracking with database and satellite integration, Tradeshow exhibit floor management that can join and reconfigure booths, move them around etc. Very useful! Cross platform training videos that are way better and more portable than Quicktime, Windows Media or even mpeg for that matter.

Just for the amount of content you can squeeze into such a small file blows anything else away.

It's all about rich media - which is more than just animation. Actionscript is a very useful programming language which is improving all the time.

I don't understand why people want to bash Flash, probably because it is difficult to master. But if you know what you are doing it integrates into the web, CDs, Kiosks, cellphones etc. very nicely. Maybe it will be replaced by something else in 5 years, just like it replaced Director (some would argue), but I don't think it will be rendered obsolete by Ajax or Flex or any other current dynamic solution.
  • Reply 22 of 49
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

Now the question becomes: "What's in the box?" As in how are they going to package it?

I for one would love to see a custom online-only version that lets you build your own CS3 suite of apps.

Also a cross-platform upgrade path from CS2 on a PC to CS3 on a Mac.

Ahhh, dreams................

I don't see why they wouldn't offer a cross-platform upgrade path, they have in the past.

My worked switched from PC to Mac and we were able to cross-platform upgrade to Dreamweaver 8 and CS Pro Suite on the Mac without problem from Dreamweaver 4 and Photoshop 6 on the PC.
  • Reply 23 of 49
    donebyleedonebylee Posts: 521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tink View Post

I don't see why they wouldn't offer a cross-platform upgrade path, they have in the past.

My worked switched from PC to Mac and we were able to cross-platform upgrade to Dreamweaver 8 and CS Pro Suite on the Mac without problem from Dreamweaver 4 and Photoshop 6 on the PC.

It is my understanding that you had to do what is called a cross-grade from CS2 PC to CS2 Mac and then upgrade to CS3 Mac. Maybe that won't be the case now that there are more people switching back to Macs with this refresh.

Is that the procedure you had to do? I am curious about your experience with this.

Thanks.
  • Reply 24 of 49
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    Quote:

It is my understanding that you had to do what is called a cross-grade from CS2 PC to CS2 Mac and then upgrade to CS3 Mac. Maybe that won't be the case now that there are more people switching back to Macs with this refresh.

Is that the procedure you had to do? I am curious about your experience with this.

Thanks.

I forget how exactly we did it. I think that we just called Adobe up and told them we were switching and wanted a cross-grade. I believe they sent us a full suite and had me destroy the PC disc. Macromedia did the same.
  • Reply 25 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

For what I'm doing, nothing works better. I build full on business applications such as GPS real-time tracking with database and satellite integration, Tradeshow exhibit floor management that can join and reconfigure booths, move them around etc. Very useful! Cross platform training videos that are way better and more portable than Quicktime, Windows Media or even mpeg for that matter.

Just for the amount of content you can squeeze into such a small file blows anything else away.

It's all about rich media - which is more than just animation. Actionscript is a very useful programming language which is improving all the time.

I don't understand why people want to bash Flash, probably because it is difficult to master. But if you know what you are doing it integrates into the web, CDs, Kiosks, cellphones etc. very nicely. Maybe it will be replaced by something else in 5 years, just like it replaced Director (some would argue), but I don't think it will be rendered obsolete by Ajax or Flex or any other current dynamic solution.

It really doesn't integrate well into the web, which was where my comments were pointed; the integration is one way and limited. As far as interactive media applications; I agree whole-heartedly, if only for lack of competition. As far as video delivery goes, I've not yet seen a flash video player that I liked, or found to offer an advantage over alternatives. And for compression, doesn't Flash just use Sorenson? No advantage there over other platforms if that's the case.

Xian: I agree the speed was a welcome increase, and in many ways the interface has been improved (with the exception of ACR, which is embarrassing with those single-letter tabs). What I found disappointing were the actual features added; things like smart filters, etc., which, like many other new features added to Photoshop in the last couple of versions, feel half-implemented and unprofessional. I'd have rathered half the new features, but implemented more effectively.
  • Reply 26 of 49
    Quote:

Xian: I agree the speed was a welcome increase, and in many ways the interface has been improved (with the exception of ACR, which is embarrassing with those single-letter tabs). What I found disappointing were the actual features added; things like smart filters, etc., which, like many other new features added to Photoshop in the last couple of versions, feel half-implemented and unprofessional. I'd have rathered half the new features, but implemented more effectively.

Using the program for a living performance is key, at least for me. I haven?t delved too deep into the new program features just yet?pretty much using it for the same ol? routine. In honesty I?m not even well versed in what new functionality the CS3 suite is supposed to introduce. Has Adobe announced anything in real detail?
  • Reply 27 of 49
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:

Hmmm, according to MacWorld Adobe is announcing CS3 on the 27th, but the ship date is listed as: "later this spring."

Read it here.

And weep.

Dammit, what the hell good is an announcement? We know it's bloody well coming. Those lazy bastards are just buying some time again. At least we'll likely see a demo of it at NAB and see what they've been doing with all the time they've had.

Ah well, I only use Photoshop personally and CS3 beta is great IMO - I just wish someone would fix the brushes issue. Either Apple or Adobe know why it's going wrong and neither seem to be willing to step up to the plate and fix it.
  • Reply 28 of 49
    Think Secret had some "rumors" about new functionality, but I think the picture is still pretty open as to what the rest of CS3 will entail, as well as what changes Photoshop will see outside of the Beta (Adobe hinted that it wasn't feature complete). As far as official word from Adobe I haven't seen much.

And yes, the speed boost is welcome, but ended up being useless for me as I ended up on the tail end of an activation bug which made CS3 a paperweight. As it stands I'll have to wait and make sure the full version fixes the bug before I buy a potentially useless upgrade.

(As far as new features goes, Photoshop has fair room to grow with their Smart Objects, which if they become solid will be very useful for automation/reusability as well as image adjustment quality).
  • Reply 29 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

?I just wish someone would fix the brushes issue. Either Apple or Adobe know why it's going wrong and neither seem to be willing to step up to the plate and fix it.

The VM cache issue? as far as I'm aware that's unique to Tiger and will be fixed in Leopard.
  • Reply 30 of 49
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

It really doesn't integrate well into the web, which was where my comments were pointed;...

Not going to argue the case since I like Flash you don't- to each his own. But I'll place my bets with the likes of Google video, Yahoo Maps and Youtube as to how well it integrates with the web.

Quote:

And for compression, doesn't Flash just use Sorenson? No advantage there over other platforms if that's the case.

For video, Flash 8 uses new codec On2 VP6 (MX versions did use Sorenson) but I was referring to the small size with respect to the native vector format, which I think is very efficient. It also compresses text and supports subsets for embedded fonts. I could go on...
  • Reply 31 of 49
    Quote:

Not going to argue the case since I like Flash you don't- to each his own. But I'll place my bets with the likes of Google video, Yahoo Maps and Youtube as to how well it integrates with the web.

For video, Flash 8 uses new codec On2 VP6 (MX versions did use Sorenson) but I was referring to the small size with respect to the native vector format, which I think is very efficient. It also compresses text and supports subsets for embedded fonts. I could go on...

Google Video, YouTube, TahooMaps are all excellent examples of what I mean by one way integration. in each case Flash is able to take data from XML, HTML sources, but after data is put in the Flash container there is no outward integration (It's a presentation layer; Data actually inside the Flash container is not indexable, so keyword searches, the most rudimentary form of interoperability, doesn't work with data in a Flash container).

And yes, for applicable types of media, Flash is ideal and file sizes are tiny. There is a performance trade-off, which is often limits the complexity of the vector work, but personally being fond of animation I find Flash is great in that regard.

I think on some level you misunderstand my position; I think Flash has great potential, and v.9 addressed some of the performance issues, but Flash has the double stigma of not living up to it's potential, and coders that are stuck in the "when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail" mentality. SVG also is a bit of a disappointment in that Adobe let it languish; and I've not looked at it in depth but from my shallow knowledge its data structure seems to be much more open and interoperable.

The real danger Flash faces at this point is that both Windows and OS X are much more vector savvy than they once were, and really it won't be long before the flash plugin doesn't offer anything compelling beyond its scripting language (which, obviously, is worth quite a lot in both functionality and momentum with developers). The only thing I can see Flash offering motion video (not animation) at this point is a closed format to give the Yahoos and Googles more control over their content delivery, at the cost of mediocre players and high CPU overhead.
  • Reply 32 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Dammit, what the hell good is an announcement? We know it's bloody well coming. Those lazy bastards are just buying some time again. At least we'll likely see a demo of it at NAB and see what they've been doing with all the time they've had.

Ah well, I only use Photoshop personally and CS3 beta is great IMO - I just wish someone would fix the brushes issue. Either Apple or Adobe know why it's going wrong and neither seem to be willing to step up to the plate and fix it.

The fact that Adobe's language sounds eerily similar to Apple's, e.g. "CS3 will ship later this spring," makes me believe that the two are linked. I have heard rumors that some of the new capabilities of CS3 for Macs use Leopard's Core technologies. I do not know if this is true or not, but it sure seems as if the two are going to be related.
  • Reply 33 of 49
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

The fact that Adobe's language sounds eerily similar to Apple's, e.g. "CS3 will ship later this spring," makes me believe that the two are linked. I have heard rumors that some of the new capabilities of CS3 for Macs use Leopard's Core technologies. I do not know if this is true or not, but it sure seems as if the two are going to be related.

...um... no

they are vague so that when said release month x rolls around with no release the stock doesn't drop and people don't get pissed off. I doubt there is an intentional connection.
  • Reply 34 of 49
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Apple will release new Mac Pros either just before or just after CS3 ships. My guess is March 23rd...

Very unlikely 8) ...See special mid-April event: http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2538

"The Cupertino-based Mac maker offered no details on what, if anything, will be announced at the event, according to Macworld. However, past company presentations at the conference have been given way to launch significant product announcements.

In 2005, Apple used the NAB conference to launch Final Cut Studio and Soundtrack Pro. Recent rumors have suggest the company may be readying a significant update to Final Cut Pro for this year's show. A brawny revision to the Mac Pro also remains ripe for the picking, and could coincide with the company's announcements.

As has been the case in recent years, Apple will command a large show floor presence at NAB, with a mammoth booth located near the entrance to the South Hall.

NAB 2007 runs April 14-19 at the Las Vegas Convention Center in Las Vegas, Nevada
    ."
  • Reply 35 of 49
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pres...Photoshop.html

Says 10.4.8 is required. I very much doubt Adobe is going to force people to upgrade to Leopard on top of shelling out a lot of cash for their UniversalBinary Adobe/Macromedia stuff.

Not that a little more for Leopard is not too much to pay if you're buying a lot of CS3 bundles, but Pros would want to stick with Tiger 10.4.8/ 10.4.9 for a while... and jump to Leopard on 10.5.2 or so.**

My feeling that through March-April-May-June 2007 Pro/Prosumer/Enthusiasts will have a lot of options for getting MacIntels, or getting to CS3 on their MacIntels. There's pent-up demand.

**That and all above said and done, Apple might just release Leopard outright in middle of April at NAB. This way there's no second-guessing, oh, should I wait for Leopard or not, etc, etc.

If Leopard is not released in mid-April NAB event, then I think Apple *HAS TO* offer a 90-day free/minimal fee upgrade to Leopard--- this would cover any Mac purchased between April 15 and July 15. Again all the second-guessing can hamper sales with people all going, uh, Leopard, or not, or old stock not coming with Leopard, or as donebylee you mention, maybe CS3 will benefit from Lepoard technologies, etc, etc...
  • Reply 36 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pres...Photoshop.html

Says 10.4.8 is required. I very much doubt Adobe is going to force people to upgrade to Leopard on top of shelling out a lot of cash for their UniversalBinary Adobe/Macromedia stuff.

Not that a little more for Leopard is not too much to pay if you're buying a lot of CS3 bundles, but Pros would want to stick with Tiger 10.4.8/ 10.4.9 for a while... and jump to Leopard on 10.5.2 or so.**

My feeling that through March-April-May-June 2007 Pro/Prosumer/Enthusiasts will have a lot of options for getting MacIntels, or getting to CS3 on their MacIntels. There's pent-up demand.

**That and all above said and done, Apple might just release Leopard outright in middle of April at NAB. This way there's no second-guessing, oh, should I wait for Leopard or not, etc, etc.

If Leopard is not released in mid-April NAB event, then I think Apple *HAS TO* offer a 90-day free/minimal fee upgrade to Leopard--- this would cover any Mac purchased between April 15 and July 15. Again all the second-guessing can hamper sales with people all going, uh, Leopard, or not, or old stock not coming with Leopard, or as donebylee you mention, maybe CS3 will benefit from Lepoard technologies, etc, etc...

Good points about not requiring Leopard. And I agree about IT not wanting to upgrade right out to the gate.

For me the trigger is CS3. I need PhotoShop and Illustrator for work. And I would like a refreshed Mac Pro with a faster front side bus (the rumored 1333 MHz would do nicely, thank you). But I don't need Leopard or 8 cores for what I do.
  • Reply 37 of 49
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rongold View Post

No benefit. Adobe Systems just drags their feet. As soon as they release CS3, Apple will turn around and release Leopard, giving a big slap in the face to Adobe Systems, "In your face slow pokes." As if to say, "What took you so long?" "We could have done that in 6 months. Now get back to work and bring your application up to date."

I'm serious. Apple will release Leopard that next week. The first week of April.

I don't think it's a problem. If Apple does their job right, Leopard should be compatible with software made for previous revisions.

Adobe can't cater to just the Mac market as if it's the only market that matters.

Quote:

You don't have to use it if you don't want to, you can also uninstall the plugin.

The problem is, some developers insist on making entire sites out of them.

I just use FlashBlock so I don't have to see the bottom-feeders of the flash market, the ads.
  • Reply 38 of 49
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:

The VM cache issue? as far as I'm aware that's unique to Tiger and will be fixed in Leopard.

I hadn't heard about that. What is the VM cache issue? The brush problem I meant was that brush shapes don't appear and every brush looks like a cross hair.
  • Reply 39 of 49
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Very unlikely 8) ...See special mid-April event: http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2538

"The Cupertino-based Mac maker offered no details on what, if anything, will be announced at the event, according to Macworld. However, past company presentations at the conference have been given way to launch significant product announcements.

In 2005, Apple used the NAB conference to launch Final Cut Studio and Soundtrack Pro. Recent rumors have suggest the company may be readying a significant update to Final Cut Pro for this year's show. A brawny revision to the Mac Pro also remains ripe for the picking, and could coincide with the company's announcements.

As has been the case in recent years, Apple will command a large show floor presence at NAB, with a mammoth booth located near the entrance to the South Hall.

NAB 2007 runs April 14-19 at the Las Vegas Convention Center in Las Vegas, Nevada
    ."

I seriously doubt that the Mac Pro will be unveiled at NAB.

An update to Final Cut Studio is overdue, and NAB is the natural place to unveil it.

Apple usually features only one major product announcement at smaller media events.

In addition, unveiling the Mac Pro at a Video conference sends a signal to the publishing world that the Mac Pro line is for Video needs and the iMac line is good enough for print publishers.

That may be true, but Apple certainly isn't going to reinforce that idea.
  • Reply 40 of 49
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

I seriously doubt that the Mac Pro will be unveiled at NAB.

An update to Final Cut Studio is overdue, and NAB is the natural place to unveil it.

Apple usually features only one major product announcement at smaller media events.

I'm not sure what you mean, the NAB expo is not a small event. This year's show fills the entire LVCC, which is not a small building by any means.

I recall that Apple has usually updated/announced at least one pro app update of some sort, and at least one piece of hardware every NAB for several years. Apple's booth is scheduled to be about 50% bigger than last year's as well.