CompUSA to shutter 126 retail stores amid restructuring

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 70
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Better deals than online, huh?

Newegg.com has some of the best deals anywhere.
  • Reply 62 of 70
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Better deals than online, huh?

Well I don't bother buying stuff like that online, I don't feel like waiting.

Anyways, they offer it at Half the Price that HP does online.

Sebastian
  • Reply 63 of 70
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Well I don't bother buying stuff like that online, I don't feel like waiting.

Anyways, they offer it at Half the Price that HP does online.

Sebastian

So, anyway, Sebastian, I don't think the downtown SF is closing. I mean, this latest "restructuring" might be the writing on the wall for the whole operation, but for the time being I think your ink supply is safe. In fact, my guess is that even if CompUSA gets whittled down to near nothing the SF store will be part of the remains.

I have quite a few memories of adventures in Mac purchasing at the SF store myself. Come to think of it, it's a totally different vibe from the Emeryville store, which is the only one I venture into anymore.

For some reason Emeryville is just sort of grim. Yet, also not on the hit list, which, in all honesty, it probably should be. I guess they get pretty good traffic, there's plenty of easy free parking for one thing. But the Best Buy just down the way must be killing them.
  • Reply 64 of 70
    bulls96bulls96 Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariofreak85 View Post

when do the clearance sales start?!??!

Our store has started the Clearance already. 10-20% off the entire stock! even Apple products are discounted! Apple accessories 10% off. Some Apple hardware 5% off.
  • Reply 65 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

DAMN IT DAMN IT DAMN IT!!

The CompUSA where I buy ink for my printer, and other things I can't find at the Apple Store is shutting down!

Sebastian

I think you're okay in SF. I hear that the Norther Cal stores mainly in SF area are staying open.
  • Reply 66 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post

I am very sad to see this happen. My dad is the ASC at the CompUSA in Omaha, NE. Now he's going to be out of a job. Of course he has been talking about retirement for a couple years (he's 67 years old). And yes, he is the oldest ASC in Apple. He was also always in the top 5 people in his position for the last 5 years. Don't know if any of you knew this, but Werner Trucking switched to all macs (except for their AS400 mainframe). My dad brokered that deal for Apple. It was about a $2 billion deal. I'm not surprised to see this happen in the end though. The upper management of CompUSA really had their head's up their butts. That's the real reason for this happening. They got a new CEO and he's cutting off an arm to save the body. Sucks, but it has to be done. Just my 2 cents.

Beo

I hear ya. I know your dad "Old Bear" and he's one of the funniest ASC's around! Tell Jay hi for me! I'm the ASC at the Bloomington, MN store and I'm seeing my store close too! We ASC's have been instrumental in the success of Apple in CompUSA and Apple as well. I hope he stays with Apple as he'd be missed if he left!
  • Reply 67 of 70
    I thought I'd give myself a shameless plug while I'm on this forum and say that if you want a great deal, great service and you in the Minneapolis area.... Come into the Bloomington, MN CompUSA and take advantage at one of the few times you'll ever see new in box Macs, accessories, and software at a discount! While the discounts are sure to go up the good selection wont as we're not getting any new shipments! Don't wait too long and miss the opportunity to get a new Apple at 5 to 10% off right now (CPU's and accessories @ 5% off... Cinema Displays, Apple software at 10% off!)
  • Reply 68 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

Wow, more stores. They did this about a year ago and the one in my town closed then. Let's hope the last one left in the KC metro will stay open...not that I ever go there. \

Unfortunately the KC store is closing. I think this one may be a mistake as it has been a good market for CompUSA. There's a Best Buy right across the street from them and a Circuit City a couple of blocks south that could have had a role in this, but not certain. They also have a Micro Center a few minutes drive from them as well. But that store has always managed to do well. Especially the Apple Shop there. Good ASC and keeps the place hoppin!
  • Reply 69 of 70
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Newegg.com has some of the best deals anywhere.

I've used MacZone, but most of my recent purchases I just go thru the AppleStore business sales.
  • Reply 70 of 70
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I've used MacZone, but most of my recent purchases I just go thru the AppleStore business sales.

Sure. I can get a discount from that, or the educatonal section as well. But the world consists of far more stuff than what Apple sells.

I just bought a Samsung 225BW monitor from Newegg for my wife until I can get a newly upgraded iMac 24" for her.