weird mouse pointer flickering in tiger

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
This is something new to tiger; when I move my mouse pointer over any control that causes it to change (most noticeable when hovering over a hyperlink in safari) there is a weird flicker that looks to me like the cursor is blowing up.

Does anybody else notice this behavior?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    deestardeestar Posts: 105member
    Quote:

Originally posted by schmidm77

This is something new to tiger; when I move my mouse pointer over any control that causes it to change (most noticeable when hovering over a hyperlink in safari) there is a weird flicker that looks to me like the cursor is blowing up.

Does anybody else notice this behavior?

Yeah I get the same thing at home on an G4 1ghz 17" iMac, doesnt seem to happen on my G5 at work...

Hopping a OS X update will sort it out.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    schmidm77schmidm77 Posts: 223member
    Quote:

Originally posted by deestar

Yeah I get the same thing at home on an G4 1ghz 17" iMac, doesnt seem to happen on my G5 at work...

Hopping a OS X update will sort it out.

I have the same iMac. I wonder if it has something to do with the GeForce 4 MX drivers.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    deestardeestar Posts: 105member
    Quote:

Originally posted by schmidm77

I have the same iMac. I wonder if it has something to do with the GeForce 4 MX drivers.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing! I'll file a bug report with apple on it.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    philscbxphilscbx Posts: 22member
    I discovered a long time ago with flicker / it stopped as soon as I disabled Quick Time.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Hi !

I was looking around the web for this strange thing. At the end i thought it was a defect VRAM or Cache. But now when more people see that problem i think its a driver problem with the Geforce 4 mx. So do you have this problem anymore ? I run 10.4.8 with all updates...but the bug is there.

When i point over a image in a browser the mouse pointer shows strange artefacts when changing from pointer to insertion mark.

And how can you switch of Quick-time ?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MerlinG5 View Post

Hi !

I was looking around the web for this strange thing. At the end i thought it was a defect VRAM or Cache. But now when more people see that problem i think its a driver problem with the Geforce 4 mx. So do you have this problem anymore ? I run 10.4.8 with all updates...but the bug is there.

When i point over a image in a browser the mouse pointer shows strange artefacts when changing from pointer to insertion mark.

And how can you switch of Quick-time ?

Hi MerlinG5,

I still have it the flicker, and QuickTime.

I seem to put up with it because of where I happen to open a site where it appears makes me think it's a MacroMedia embedded application where my pointer rests.

If I move off the image embedded, then it's fine.

I just assume it's some conflict action not recognized smoothly, like it's waiting for you to make the next move, as clicking on the image to go to the next one or close it.

Almost a 100% of the time now, I will display the Activity Monitor bar to show real time processor and also let the Activity Monitor page showing who's doing what, when the bar is slammed all the way like when a on line PDF needs to be loaded.

I recently upgraded my PowerBook with 2 GB Ram as well at the Apple Store.

I don't see a huge difference, other than it now holds much more of the browsing I do.

After a full day to where the ram is almost at 2 GB, I'll click on Safari to empty the Cache, and it will only go so far even if I close all open windows.

The only way I can get the cache to fully dump is if I restart the PowerBook.

Sorry this doesn't help You much, and I just updated all in 10.4.8.

This guy is about 2 years old to the day.

Actually I can't complain much. If it were a PC, It would be launched as a frisbe from the 15th floor window by now.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Hi !

Thanks. You are right. I bought it on ebay...and it works really good for its age. Maybe a update will fix it ?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Probably the best thing to do in the end is a clean install of Tiger.

VS trying to fix glitches.

You noted you have 10,4,8 done. That is the latest.

It's possible other application updates are necessary as well.

What did you end up paying for the 12" on ebay?

This size is nice for travel on aircraft, and lugging around in general to Europe.

The weight it becomes when I'm traveling w/15".

Backpacks, or smaller overhead bags with wheels is a major plus.

Power ports are slim on aircraft.

7 hours across the pond, one will find plenty of alternate options. If no ports.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    The flickering is also when booting from 10.4 install DVD. So it must be a driver problem. I see it when starting disk utility from the DVD and move from the left part of the window where the discs are to the right. Whenever the mouse pointer crosses the separator line and switches to the "line-move-pointer" you can see it for a very short time.

I bought it for 400?. I am from good old germany but i got a japanese version. Its so cool with the japanese characters on the keyboard... looks so geek Its really small and portable. Hope it works for ever.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MerlinG5 View Post

The flickering is also when booting from 10.4 install DVD. So it must be a driver problem. I see it when starting disk utility from the DVD and move from the left part of the window where the discs are to the right. Whenever the mouse pointer crosses the separator line and switches to the "line-move-pointer" you can see it for a very short time.

I bought it for 400?. I am from good old germany but i got a japanese version. Its so cool with the japanese characters on the keyboard... looks so geek Its really small and portable. Hope it works for ever.

Interesting, and what a great deal for a 12". I spent this entire last summer in Germany.

The tour started in Nuremberg race track for the concerts and camping. You guys know how to party extremely well, then the World Cup, wow all the villages all dressed out with flags, and 50" screens moved out of the house to the street. This is serious stuff. I can go on for a while, Oh yea, The Wine Fest. Incredibly Cool.

And just flat out mach II on the freeway in a new 350 GT Nissan. I'd bet 97.5% of the US don't have a clue what road respect as a concept is about. Again, You guys do it with Class. Now to all gardeners in the US, you people have to see the laser straight hedges done to perfection, and the flowers. My camera can prove it.

Well, I better cut this short. Good luck on the cool machine.

I will test mine further in the future to see results of flicker,

Have a Great Day
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Thats nice to hear. I love all the wine festivals too :-) I live in a region in Germany which is famous for its wine yards.

And yes free highway for free people is something i wont miss in Germany. But they start thinking about a speedlimit to reduce the CO2 emission. But then there will be no place on the world where you can test your Nissan ;-)

Thanks again for your help !