yes Im still running winblows. need help buying new computer

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
yes Im very mad to say Im still running windows. Ive used windows my entire life, but recently its just been pissing me off. I was looking into a replacement for my 5 year old dell dimension 2350 desktop. My two options are the Mac book in black, or the Mac book pro 2.44 ghz 15inch. I want something that will last me a good length of time, and not slowdown in 5 years. Im leaning toward the mac book pro because of the added horse power it has under its hood, and for the added i/o ports. I was also looking into dual booting windows via an external firewire harddrive. I would like some feed back on how well BootCamp works.

P.S. I have about 4 albums that I bought off of iTunes on my current desktop and because of the dreaded DRM theres no way I could transfer them via AIM or some other 3rd party software. One of my options is to go USB to USB but that would take an eternity. The other would be burn 4 cds with the different albums on them.

Thanks in advance for your help guys

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    maimezvousmaimezvous Posts: 802member
    I have a MacBook and it suits my needs. The only complain I have is the rather small screen. Expose helps alleviate that pain a lot but I would not mind a 15 inch screen at all. Really it just depends on what you are going to be using the computer for now and in the near future. All I use mine for is surfing the web, writing papers, and listening to music.

Speaking of music, when I switched from PCs to Mac I had quite a bit of music and other files to transfer also. I just used my iPod. (I assume you have one since you are using iTunes) What you need to do is select the box that says "enable disk mode" in the iPod options menu. From there you can drag and drop all the files, including your entire iTunes library, onto the iPod in Windows Explorer. Then when you plug in your iPod to your new Mac just drag the iTunes library folder onto the iTunes icon in the dock (I think that's all I did, I don't really remember honestly.) I hope that helps.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maimezvous View Post

I have a MacBook and it suits my needs. The only complain I have is the rather small screen. Expose helps alleviate that pain a lot but I would not mind a 15 inch screen at all. Really it just depends on what you are going to be using the computer for now and in the near future. All I use mine for is surfing the web, writing papers, and listening to music.

Speaking of music, when I switched from PCs to Mac I had quite a bit of music and other files to transfer also. I just used my iPod. (I assume you have one since you are using iTunes) What you need to do is select the box that says "enable disk mode" in the iPod options menu. From there you can drag and drop all the files, including your entire iTunes library, onto the iPod in Windows Explorer. Then when you plug in your iPod to your new Mac just drag the iTunes library folder onto the iTunes icon in the dock (I think that's all I did, I don't really remember honestly.) I hope that helps.

Yeah Im gonna be using my mac for internet, music, and writing papers, and doing school work.

as for music, I my ipod has always been in disk mode. Now as for transferring I never knew of that, but thanks for telling me, you just saved me a but load of money. Thanks again.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    maimezvousmaimezvous Posts: 802member
    No problem. I did the same thing. Except it took me longer to realize I could just use my iPod. Good luck, and welcome to AppleInsider.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Finalblink View Post

Yeah Im gonna be using my mac for internet, music, and writing papers, and doing school work.

as for music, I my ipod has always been in disk mode. Now as for transferring I never knew of that, but thanks for telling me, you just saved me a but load of money. Thanks again.

Well you don't need to use your iPod, though you can certainly do that. I also use iTunes but I never bothered getting an iPod because I don't care about carrying my music with me. The way I did it was to just burn a Data Disc, then drag the files into iTunes on my Macbook. So if those 4 Albums are under 700 MB they should fit onto one CD.

Sebastian
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Well you don't need to use your iPod, though you can certainly do that. I also use iTunes but I never bothered getting an iPod because I don't care about carrying my music with me. The way I did it was to just burn a Data Disc, then drag the files into iTunes on my Macbook. So if those 4 Albums are under 700 MB they should fit onto one CD.

Sebastian

Yeah, I dont think it'll fit, but I have a 30 gig 5g ipod, so its more of a money saving tactic, I have like 3 black cd's left, and I need those for school assignments, so if I can avoid using them that be great.

I also discovered that through Windows Explorer I could get files onto my psp. and I did. TDWP cd, and 2 Alkaline Trio vids. its awesome.