Heartwarming switcher story...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ok. I just have to share this story with some who will appreciate it.

I know there are people out there who have helped dozens switch.

There are people who have brought small or even large companies into the Mac fold.

My count is much more modest: parents, sister, brother in law, and a few assorted friends. I have been working on my brother (accross the country) for several years now.

I think it was the ease of use and integration of iPhoto and iMovie as well as my sleek Ti book which first started to move him. The "halo effect" didn't hurt and the intel switch neither.

He bought a MBP about two months ago.

I delt with the necessary windows switcher handholding like the midnight call "I don't know how to move a file!" and helping him set up his wireless network from two time zones away (he had a wireless router for his wife's laptop that they never could figure out). But eventually, he settled in and all was going well.

What is the point of this post? Well tonight he tells me that he no longer reads his two kids (6 & 8 ) a bedtime story. All they want is to watch "Hi, I'm a Mac" commercials on his MBP! They get two each night and they spend all day talking about which ones they are going to choose. (Their favorite is the camera one.)

Anyway, after a decade of Mac Vs. PC battles, I can think of no more convincing evidence of my complete victory than the faithfull conversion of his children...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Ok. I just have to share this story with some who will appreciate it.

I know there are people out there who have helped dozens switch.

There are people who have brought small or even large companies into the Mac fold.

My count is much more modest: parents, sister, brother in law, and a few assorted friends. I have been working on my brother (accross the country) for several years now.

I think it was the ease of use and integration of iPhoto and iMovie as well as my sleek Ti book which first started to move him. The "halo effect" didn't hurt and the intel switch neither.

He bought a MBP about two months ago.

I delt with the necessary windows switcher handholding like the midnight call "I don't know how to move a file!" and helping him set up his wireless network from two time zones away (he had a wireless router for his wife's laptop that they never could figure out). But eventually, he settled in and all was going well.

What is the point of this post? Well tonight he tells me that he no longer reads his two kids (6 & 8 ) a bedtime story. All they want is to watch "Hi, I'm a Mac" commercials on his MBP! They get two each night and they spend all day talking about which ones they are going to choose. (Their favorite is the camera one.)

Anyway, after a decade of Mac Vs. PC battles, I can think of no more convincing evidence of my complete victory than the faithfull conversion of his children...

Thats really great, but honestly those kids should be reading rather than watching commercials. now Im all for kids coming into the macintosh witnesses cult, but if they cant read how will they be able to navigate through the future mac os XI.

• Reply 2 of 3
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Finalblink View Post

Thats really great, but honestly those kids should be reading rather than watching commercials. now Im all for kids coming into the macintosh witnesses cult, but if they cant read how will they be able to navigate through the future mac os XI.

That was great.

Yeah, I re-read my post--I think I am that bad sometimes.

RE: the reading. I worry about that too. But the kids have hyper-focused, educated, achievement preaching, helicopter parents. They are swimming in reading other parts of the day. and sports. and school. Frankly, I worry that they never get to play in the back yard for an afternoon...
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

That was great.

Yeah, I re-read my post--I think I am that bad sometimes.

RE: the reading. I worry about that too. But the kids have hyper-focused, educated, achievement preaching, helicopter parents. They are swimming in reading other parts of the day. and sports. and school. Frankly, I worry that they never get to play in the back yard for an afternoon...

yeah, hopefully those parents can find a balance where on weekend the kids can have a friend come over to play or something. and then on sundays they do there homework. I dunno thats what my parents did with me, school monday thru friday, friday you could slack with the HW. Saturday was your day yo kick back and relax, but sunday at 12 we had to get a move on our HW. In terms of computers I didnt get internet until I was 1st grade with windows 95. Good times, I owe it to windows *sadly* to getting me into computers. but fast forward some odd number of years, and you have me still using windoze, and desperately wanting a MBP to maybe dual boot XP on it. I still have some stuff I need windows for, and my desktop is slowly dying on me.