Apple and Google working on "many more" projects

13

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 76
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scstsut View Post


    Apples offerings, many of which come from acquisitions that they then built on and perfected (NeXT/OS X, Final Cut, DVDStudio, Shake...), Google is acquiring pieces (Writely, Blogger, YouTube...) to build on and perfect. And you're right. Microsoft built MSDos from a clone of CP/M.



    Hey! Where did you get the perfected copy of OS X?? And how do I go about getting it????
  • Reply 42 of 76
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,325member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    OS X wasn't totally purchased though, and I don't think from just one source. Much of the original base is from NextStep, most of the back-end has been updated from other open source origins. Bringing all these together, as well as other parts, and make it Mac-like, isn't trivial.



    The basis for OS X was purchased from Next. Though the majority wasn't even original to them either, considering where IT came from. MACH is even considered to be a liability, even though Avie was one of the creators.



    But, the majority of Apple's programs were bought. Apple has developed few from scratch.



    I don't think that's an issue for either company though.



    It's not where the starting blocks come from, but what is done with them in the right hands.
  • Reply 43 of 76
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,325member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post


    Correcting misperceptions makes him cranky?









    Also, not reading several posts before does. Part of what he complained about had already been mentioned.
  • Reply 44 of 76
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,325member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post


    Hey, maybe this whole Google joining was brought out when Jobs pulled his "secret features" comment out of his ass last year, needed some help coming up with something worthy of the comment, couldn't come up with any good ideas on his own and teamed up with Google to see if they could come up with something interesting.



    Oh, and don't forget, iMovie and GarageBand were bought by Apple as well! And they basically stole the ideas for Dashboard and Sherlock. And I think they've kind of ripped off Microsoft's idea of delayed OS releases....



    Dashboard's questionable. Sherlock is an odd issue.



    It was original to Apple. Then it was copied, and enhanced. Apple then enhanced it more themselves, and was accused of copying from the company that copied from Apple.
  • Reply 45 of 76
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

    And they basically stole the ideas for Dashboard and Sherlock.



    How do you steal an idea in the software world? Because someone does something first mean that no one else is allowed to create something similar? Is that how advancement and competition come about?



    Because Avid was first, were Premiere and Final Cut Pro a stolen idea?
  • Reply 46 of 76
    Ah, the old "Buy or Build?"



    -iTunes is just the old SoundJamMP with a new skin.



    Definitely Dashboard is a flat out ripoff -there should have been a lawsuit there for sure. -Christ, Apple could have BOUGHT Konfabulator for peanuts, but they decided to rip them instead! -Not their finest hour.
  • Reply 47 of 76
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    I think the key is "based on". They made quite a bit of changes. Gdocs has had a lot of integration work from different code bases. My understanding is that a lot of it was recoded to use Google's API, quickly too.







    I think it would be irresponsible of Google to not support Windows.







    OS X wasn't totally purchased though, and I don't think from just one source. Much of the original base is from NextStep, most of the back-end has been updated from other open source origins. Bringing all these together, as well as other parts, and make it Mac-like, isn't trivial.



    It's based off of NeXTstep, originally positioned as Yellow Box using the OpenStep code base (which itself was an Open Source NeXTstep) and when all else failed, later redesigned to fell "Mac Like" (what was Mac OS at the time) and called Mac OS X.



    It's hard to call it bought though, because by the time Mac OS X came around Steve Jobs was already CEO... but he did ask Gil to buy his company so he could return to Apple.... oh well I'll leave it at that.



    Sebastian
  • Reply 48 of 76
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post


    Hey, maybe this whole Google joining was brought out when Jobs pulled his "secret features" comment out of his ass last year, needed some help coming up with something worthy of the comment, couldn't come up with any good ideas on his own and teamed up with Google to see if they could come up with something interesting.



    Oh, and don't forget, iMovie and GarageBand were bought by Apple as well! And they basically stole the ideas for Dashboard and Sherlock. And I think they've kind of ripped off Microsoft's idea of delayed OS releases....



    Um, no. There is no way in Hell in the time of one year that Steve Jobs comes up with these "Secret Features" especially with him being a bit busy on the iPhone project and pushing iTunes 7 out the door at the same time only to throw Google in.



    And how did they rip off Microsoft's idea of a delayed OS release? It's not even Spring and already everyone thinks it's not coming out till Summer, and that idea is based off of Developer Builds, AKA, not Betas.



    Sebastian
  • Reply 49 of 76
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    Don't make the mistake of thinking that Apple is fighting for consumer rights. They are not. They are fighting for their own rights.







    We don't know how well it would work if Apple does it, because Apple isn't doing it.



    But, that doesn't mean that Apple won't do a form of it in the future. Apple is doing things they formally said they wouldn't do.



    You're right they are fighting for their own rights, and through that, they just happen to be fighting for consumer rights. Microsoft on the other hand wouldn't mind throwing the entire Windows Vista team behind Windows Media DRM if it meant they could make Janus the top dog again.



    A show of hands of who likes all the commercials when they are in the middle of watching TV? I know I'm not one of them, and that's why I canceled Cable. I now just buy DVDs or off of iTunes.



    Sebastian
  • Reply 50 of 76
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post


    Hey! Where did you get the perfected copy of OS X?? And how do I go about getting it????



    OK, here's what you do. If you have a Mac already, you're done. If you don't, run down to the Apple store and buy one.



    Sebastian
  • Reply 51 of 76
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,325member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post


    You're right they are fighting for their own rights, and through that, they just happen to be fighting for consumer rights. Microsoft on the other hand wouldn't mind throwing the entire Windows Vista team behind Windows Media DRM if it meant they could make Janus the top dog again.



    A show of hands of who likes all the commercials when they are in the middle of watching TV? I know I'm not one of them, and that's why I canceled Cable. I now just buy DVDs or off of iTunes.



    Sebastian



    No one like commercials. Well, I do like some of them. Occasionally, they are better than the best shows. But, that's another story.



    But, it does allow you to watch content for free, if you still have an antenna.



    I see no reason why a mix of paid for programming, and free, with commercils, programming, wouldn't work.



    Ther idae of just paying for what you want to see isn't as good an idea as some think it is. I see highly unrealistic price comparisons between paying for a years worth of shows that someone writing an article want to see, and paying for, and the price of cable, with those same shows.



    It always seems to be much cheaper just paying for those shows.



    For those people it may be. But, what they are ignoring, is that Americans watch an average of four and a half hours of Tv a day.



    That means that most people are watching far more than the three or four shows plus some news, movies, and some sports, that these writers assume. In fact, it seems that most people watch a couple of dozen seasonal shows PLUS the afore mentioned movies, news, and sports.



    And how does one watch new shows without paying for them as well? How will you know if you will want to watch that new show without seeing a couple of episodes that you will now have to pay for as well?



    I think that this might turn out to be even more expensive than subscribing to cable. Advertizing would help. People could watch things they wouldn't want to buy, and could try out new shows, specials, news, and realtime sporting events that have ads anyway, without having to pay for them.
  • Reply 52 of 76
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    I wonder why no one talks about Google's Docs & Spreadsheets online applications.



    This could be a real breakthrough in the office applications space: Collaborating online (and in Google's case even platform agnostic). MS is adding online features to office, too, with OfficeLive and it's server product's SharePoint services. Something Apple's productivity offerings are completely lacking.



    Not to mention the lack of a real group calender server.
  • Reply 53 of 76
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    No one like commercials. Well, I do like some of them. Occasionally, they are better than the best shows. But, that's another story.



    But, it does allow you to watch content for free, if you still have an antenna.



    I see no reason why a mix of paid for programming, and free, with commercils, programming, wouldn't work.



    Ther idae of just paying for what you want to see isn't as good an idea as some think it is. I see highly unrealistic price comparisons between paying for a years worth of shows that someone writing an article want to see, and paying for, and the price of cable, with those same shows.



    It always seems to be much cheaper just paying for those shows.



    For those people it may be. But, what they are ignoring, is that Americans watch an average of four and a half hours of Tv a day.



    That means that most people are watching far more than the three or four shows plus some news, movies, and some sports, that these writers assume. In fact, it seems that most people watch a couple of dozen seasonal shows PLUS the afore mentioned movies, news, and sports.



    And how does one watch new shows without paying for them as well? How will you know if you will want to watch that new show without seeing a couple of episodes that you will now have to pay for as well?



    I think that this might turn out to be even more expensive than subscribing to cable. Advertizing would help. People could watch things they wouldn't want to buy, and could try out new shows, specials, news, and realtime sporting events that have ads anyway, without having to pay for them.



    How will people know? Apple is always offering a free download of one show or another, and you can still preview any episode for 30 seconds. Most news sites offer Podcasts with their own Advertising now, and iTunes offers Movies, TV shows, and even Sports Highlights these days.



    We're also getting ahead of ourselves here, because the Apple TV was never meant to replace Cable. It takes the content you have and plays it. Nothing more and nothing less.



    Sebastian
  • Reply 54 of 76
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post


    OK, here's what you do. If you have a Mac already, you're done. If you don't, run down to the Apple store and buy one.



    Sebastian



    haha, funny. But seriously, I'm running OS X.4 and have issues with several areas. Hell, I'd just like to have my finder settings set for good (WTF is wrong with turning on "calculate all sizes" that OS X keeps turning it off!")



    Really, I want your perfected copy. Can you post it somewhere???
  • Reply 55 of 76
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post


    haha, funny. But seriously, I'm running OS X.4 and have issues with several areas. Hell, I'd just like to have my finder settings set for good (WTF is wrong with turning on "calculate all sizes" that OS X keeps turning it off!")



    Really, I want your perfected copy. Can you post it somewhere???



    The Finder... I do not know this Finder of yours. You must be talking about something else. (psst, click here and all your troubles will disappear)



    Sebastian
  • Reply 56 of 76
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,325member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post


    How will people know? Apple is always offering a free download of one show or another, and you can still preview any episode for 30 seconds. Most news sites offer Podcasts with their own Advertising now, and iTunes offers Movies, TV shows, and even Sports Highlights these days.



    We're also getting ahead of ourselves here, because the Apple TV was never meant to replace Cable. It takes the content you have and plays it. Nothing more and nothing less.



    Sebastian



    That may help, but not always. And a free 30 seconds. Ooh! That really lets you know how a show is going to be. 30 seconds isn't even enough to let you know if a 3 minute song is desirable.



    No, that doesn't cut it.



    What you are claiming doesn't seem to be the consensus that most writers seem to have about Apple's plans.



    But, we'll see.
  • Reply 57 of 76
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post


    We're also getting ahead of ourselves here, because the Apple TV was never meant to replace Cable. It takes the content you have and plays it. Nothing more and nothing less.



    That's the way it looks now, but I think that statement ignores the possibility that there is a greater product strategy that might involve this. I don't think any of us are good at forecasting Apple's future strategy to that extent. What I can say is that any tech company must plan a couple product generations ahead to stay alive, so a feature they said they'll never have may be implemented somewhere, ready to go when needed. When more pieces fall into place, then they can unveil new features, new products and new services if that is what they choose to do.
  • Reply 58 of 76
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    That may help, but not always. And a free 30 seconds. Ooh! That really lets you know how a show is going to be. 30 seconds isn't even enough to let you know if a 3 minute song is desirable.



    No, that doesn't cut it.



    What you are claiming doesn't seem to be the consensus that most writers seem to have about Apple's plans.



    But, we'll see.



    Yeah well they were suggestions. My point is there is a large number of sources for content already. iTunes, your own Content (Think Home Movies and Photos) , and yes, there are several ways to get video off of Youtube if you so choose, and I believe many on here have an EyeTV.



    Like I said, it wasn't meant to replace Cable. It's a bridge between the Computer and the Home Theater and I get the feeling Apple, or more specifically, Steve, can care less about serving up content with loads of Ads. As far as he's concerned it's a question of class vs business.



    Sebastian
  • Reply 59 of 76
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    That's the way it looks now, but I think that statement ignores the possibility that there is a greater product strategy that might involve this. I don't think any of us are good at forecasting Apple's future strategy to that extent. What I can say is that any tech company must plan a couple product generations ahead to stay alive, so a feature they said they'll never have may be implemented somewhere, ready to go when needed. When more pieces fall into place, then they can unveil new features, new products and new services if that is what they choose to do.



    You're right, we don't know what Apple is working on a couple of generations down the line. They may have a road map, but as far as actual features and products are concerned, they can only take it one step at a time, this Apple TV, the one that exists Today (ok ok... March 20th) isn't meant to replace Cable.



    Sebastian
  • Reply 60 of 76
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,325member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post


    Yeah well they were suggestions. My point is there is a large number of sources for content already. iTunes, your own Content (Think Home Movies and Photos) , and yes, there are several ways to get video off of Youtube if you so choose, and I believe many on here have an EyeTV.



    Like I said, it wasn't meant to replace Cable. It's a bridge between the Computer and the Home Theater and I get the feeling Apple, or more specifically, Steve, can care less about serving up content with loads of Ads. As far as he's concerned it's a question of class vs business.



    Sebastian



    We don't know if it's meant to replace cable at some point.



    But TimeWarner here in NYC has hundreds of channels, and I watch programs from more than a few.



    You would have to assume that Apple would have most of the hundreds of programs broadcast every day, to enable people to find just that very one they want to see. That might happen some day, but most likely, it will be with advertising. Free Tv is still on many peoples minds. Do you want to pay $14 a month to listen to the radio?



    I think "class" is a byproduct of Apple making profits. If that changes, so will the "class".



    We were never going to see video on a small portable device either.
Sign In or Register to comment.