Apple CFO talks Apple TV, iPhone, Macs and retail [transcript]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

No offense taken. I think you are being a bit harsh though - the iTv isn't much different or better. I personally would rather have a HD based wide screen iPod with no phone functions.

Anyway, you could have switchable audio output so you could designate it comes out of the brick or the iPhone. Then you could park the brick in a dock attached to you Hi-Fi and sit across the room with the iPhone directing the show. Am I just making it worse?

ha ha, whatever floats your boat I guess. I would not want to have to worry about an iBrick. It kind of defeats the purpose of having an all in one. And then you're still going to have to worry about the battery life of your brick especcially with the wifi in the brick draining it *in addition* to the spinning hard drive.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

So Peter.. where the fuck is Leopard?

God stop acting liked a stupid spoiled brat! Is there any reason you need leopard now? besides wanting to to throw a tantrum like a 5 year old?

Anyways back on topic... I really liked the whole article but I especially found this little comment to be very interesting...

Quote:

We believe that consumers would be best served in a marketplace where any player can play music purchased from any store, and any store could sell music that would be playable on any player. We think this is the best result for consumers and Apple would embrace it wholeheartedly. In terms of the financial impact, that remains to be seen.We've provided a great experience to customers, and we think we have the best solution out there. We're going to continue to invest in the iPod and in iTunes, and we stand ready to compete.

I really like Apple's attitude towards DRM and there willingness to compete in a open market (Non-DRM), I can't wait to see this!
  • Reply 23 of 43
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by david_oc View Post

They said spring. That starts 20 March and runs through to 21 June. Get off their back.

Well well well, if it isn't Fargo Boyle. I just thought it would have been funny if one of the so called analysts stood up and said that.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui

As someone else pointed out, he was being a bit inconsistent. He also touched on the very reason the iPhone is NOT their best iPod. It might have the best interface and screen but its capacity is woeful. The capacity is inadequate to store a whole music library for most people I suspect. This is one of the core reasons I got an iPod in the first place.

I use it in my car, sometimes with headphones, and plugged into my main Hi-Fi in lieu of a CD player.

What they need is an accessory in the form of a 120gb small form factor hard drive with a Wi-Fi interface. The music library is on the HD and the iPhone is the interface to it with the music and commands being transfered between the two over Wi-Fi.

Not as ideal as an all in one device but it would keep the small form factor of the Phone while keeping the music library capability.

Of course there would be the pain of remembering to bring the little brick but I suppose the phone could give an audilble reminder when it got out of range of the brick - "I think you forgot something sport"

Not to be rude or anything

But that has got to be the dumbest idea I've ever heard!

No offense taken. I think you are being a bit harsh though - the iTv isn't much different or better. I personally would rather have a HD based wide screen iPod with no phone functions.

Anyway, you could have switchable audio output so you could designate it comes out of the brick or the iPhone. Then you could park the brick in a dock attached to you Hi-Fi and sit across the room with the iPhone directing the show. Am I just making it worse?

ha ha, whatever floats your boat I guess. I would not want to have to worry about an iBrick. It kind of defeats the purpose of having an all in one. And then you're still going to have to worry about the battery life of your brick especcially with the wifi in the brick draining it *in addition* to the spinning hard drive.

I really kind of like the idea of the external wi-fi hard drive library. It would at least allow for considerable expandability. The on-board flash memory would be sufficient to handle those situations where you absolutely had to do without the brick, and using the iPhone to control music on the brick while it is docked would be pretty cool. It beats the hell out of a 6-CD changer in the trunk of your car, and lots of people bought those.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Darth_Apple View Post

God stop acting liked a stupid spoiled brat! Is there any reason you need leopard now? besides wanting to to throw a tantrum like a 5 year old?

I want I want I want
  • Reply 26 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macbear01 View Post

I really kind of like the idea of the external wi-fi hard drive library.

In 5 years time all back-up will be done online. And all that info could be accessed using Laptop or an iPhone etc. from anywhere.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

You are quite right, it isn't ideal, but is an iPhone with a HD going to use much less battery power? Your real overhead is the Wi-Fi, and the iPhone already has that in a much smaller form factor than the brick. The brick could have a much larger battery comparatively.

I think that since memory costs have come down a lot, an iPod should load all, or a significant portion, of a current play list into memory so the time the HD is spinning is minimized. That ought to bring down the power consumption to closer to that of a nano.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

In 5 years time all back-up will be done online. And all that info could be accessed using Laptop or an iPhone etc. from anywhere.

Are you by any chance a person who lives in a city?

Could you please elaborate on 'anywhere' and 'all'.

Does anywhere include in a car on the move, say on the Nullabor, half way across Australia.

There might be near 100% mobile phone coverage in Ireland but have a look at the coverage map for say Australia.

Quite apart from mobile coverage, since when was broadband, say in Ireland, fast enough to back up multiple GB in a reasonable time frame.

I can show you houses in Ireland with no mobile signal or even the prospect of broadband within 50+ years.

I could go on about mobile data charges and the cost of that but wont because it is an obvious problem.

Surely you can't have been thinking of Wi-Fi - exactly what % of the earths surface is covered by hot spots?
  • Reply 29 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by h228 View Post

With most phones, there are many different prices possible due to the myriad of sellers allowed by the carriers. This creates confusion about where to get the best price, so people over shop. This is a big problem for a new type of product, which people need to study before they will buy it.

So I think Apple wants to control where it's sold for the reason you mentioned, and to eliminate confusion about price. Plus restricting the sales locations in this way ensures that all sales begining at the regular stores are captured by one of the two companies, whether retail or online.

Thats brilliant! i never thought of it that way.

Just one more way Apple makes the buying experience simpler.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    Quote:

Not to be rude or anything

But that has got to be the dumbest idea I've ever heard!

Actually, I think it is a very good idea.

I would like to have something like that in my glove box.

I listen to my iPod most in the car.

When I'm away from my car I don't need the other 80GB of music.

When I'm at home, I have all my music on my computer.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    Quote:

I love the way you make sweeping statements that are completely unsourced. Where exactly do you get your info? I mean, are we missing out on something?
  • Reply 32 of 43
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:

Apple CFO: "First of all, we think Cingular is the best quality carrier..."

Translation: Verizon turned us down. \

Let's not RDF it too much, eh Peter? The iPhone is still good, even if the carrier ain't. Well, up to a point, anyway. Even the best phone won't be seen as such if the network drops or garbles calls.

• Reply 33 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by max_naylor View Post

Quote:

I love the way you make sweeping statements that are completely unsourced. Where exactly do you get your info? I mean, are we missing out on something?

Ireland is from the future and he is reading AppleInsider from his DeLorean and backing up his data via a 1.21 Gigawatt 802.11w connection to the Goople moonBase.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Translation: Verizon turned us down. \

Let's not RDF it too much, eh Peter? The iPhone is still good, even if the carrier ain't. Well, up to a point, anyway. Even the best phone won't be seen as such if the network drops or garbles calls.

I actually agree with his statement. Cingular is the only Carrier that hasn't given me a s***load of problems.

Sebastian
  • Reply 35 of 43
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Actually, I think it is a very good idea.

I would like to have something like that in my glove box.

I listen to my iPod most in the car.

When I'm away from my car I don't need the other 80GB of music.

When I'm at home, I have all my music on my computer.

I also think it is a great idea for the car. Or maybe double it as a dock and leave it next to your computer at work (A lot of companies I have seen are touchy about iTunes etc in the workplace - some crap about productivity or something).. Could be very handy. 8 gigs is a lot when you only need it for a commute.. but of course it is relative.

Cheers
  • Reply 36 of 43
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    This comment intrigued me:

"A: When we launch a new product, we certainly take into consideration what we think commodities will cost and in some cases we may lean into that a bit. So we consider commodity costs in terms of the configs we'll do and our pricing, and append it to change that when we launch new products."

I would not be surprised to see a price drop for the iPhone in June (I am guessing $449 and $549). Slightly better, but still not cheap, but getting closer.....

Oh.... the other thing I picked up (but this one is on thin ice): If the stock falls below, say $80 (and stays there for a couple of weeks), they'll probably do a share repurchase.

And, really, really, REALLY thin ice: Stock split at $100.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

I actually agree with his statement. Cingular is the only Carrier that hasn't given me a s***load of problems.

Well, the law of averages says that SOMEONE has to like Cingular, right? \

• Reply 38 of 43
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Well, the law of averages says that SOMEONE has to like Cingular, right? \

Cingular is the largest US Carrier, and considering the Carrier market, while crap all around, is actually quite competitive, this says something about Cingular. I don't think that it says it's crap (though from my point of view, the entire US Celluar Market is crap) or it's the least crappiest.

Sebastian
  • Reply 39 of 43
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by h228 View Post

With most phones, there are many different prices possible due to the myriad of sellers allowed by the carriers. This creates confusion about where to get the best price, so people over shop. This is a big problem for a new type of product, which people need to study before they will buy it.

So I think Apple wants to control where it's sold for the reason you mentioned, and to eliminate confusion about price. Plus restricting the sales locations in this way ensures that all sales begining at the regular stores are captured by one of the two companies, whether retail or online.

Sure, that's possible.

Doesn't jibe with what he said though, does it?
  • Reply 40 of 43
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

Its remarkable how he can just reel out the same phrases that have been said over and over again since the January keynote, its as if they have a script of phrases to describe each product...

Either that or he sits up all night watching Steve's keynotes

It's either that, or stick his foot in his mouth as Gates and Ballmer do when they speak off the cuff.

So I suppose if you want him to be the butt of jokes, he can say whatever comes to mind, and sound dumb, or he can stick to policy, and be boring, but safe, while giving some bits of interesting stuff out.