Importing content from a DVD-R

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
hey,

I have a DVD-R master of a film I made and unfortunately almost all of my digital backups of the film were lost in a recent crash. although I could (and will) send my master to a local record label that makes DVD-R copies for cheap from my master, I would like to have at least a mini-dv backup of the film and a digital file. so, the big question is, is there anyway to import the content on my DVD-R master into imovie or quicktime? thanks, I appreciate it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    wwdwwd Posts: 3member
    Use MacTheRipper
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FullMetalFox View Post

hey,

I have a DVD-R master of a film I made and unfortunately almost all of my digital backups of the film were lost in a recent crash. although I could (and will) send my master to a local record label that makes DVD-R copies for cheap from my master, I would like to have at least a mini-dv backup of the film and a digital file. so, the big question is, is there anyway to import the content on my DVD-R master into imovie or quicktime? thanks, I appreciate it.

Yes. You need to use DVD ripping software such as Mac the Ripper

to rip the .vob files off of the DVD. Then you need to use encoding software such as ffmpegx to encode the video into whatever format you want. When you are using ffmpegx, make sure to drag the entire VIDEO_TS folder into the source format area.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    alexluftalexluft Posts: 159member
    Or to convert your DVD-R into a QuickTime movie, use DVDXDV.

Here's the link:

http://www.dvdxdv.com/NewFolderLookS...V.overview.htm

It's a great program that takes the 2 steps mentioned by others above and puts them into one simple one (for a nominal fee).

Good luck!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FullMetalFox View Post

hey,

Handbrake is a good one-stop app. Open Source and free!

D/L here: http://handbrake.m0k.org/

Hope this helps