searching by year in itunes library

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
hi

i seem to be able to search by any field in my itunes 7 library except the 'year' field, which is a visible column in my library. is there a reason for this, as i would like to be able to search by year?

thanks

nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    I created a series of "decade" folders, each containing a "year" smart playlist.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    davidzladavidzla Posts: 63member
    For what it's worth I would also like to do this, but I'm not aware of any method to make it "really" work. I have a few decade-based smart playlists, ordered by year, and of course you could create and/or temporarily edit a smart playlist to show a specific year.

But it would be nice to search by "1984" and get all songs from that year, not just Eurythmics and Van Halen.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    "Year is 1984" isn't what you are looking for?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    davidzladavidzla Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

"Year is 1984" isn't what you are looking for?

What I mean is that, even with the Year field visible, typing any given year into the search bar will not pull up songs from that year. It will pull up that data in other fields however, like name or album.

Such that typing "1985" into the search bar will pull up the song *titled* that but not the songs dated that year. And, it would just be a handy thing to do.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    If you use nested smart playlists then there is no typing involved, just a few clicks.