Small MBP

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Can someone tell Apple to go ahead and release a small MBP? I know I'm not going to get a 12" one, but the 13.3" will fit in my backpack (by the way, good way to get a weird look out of an Apple Store drone: "Hey, can I check if this laptop will fit in my bag?" but to his credit he did help me try).

My poor 12" G4 Powerbook is getting more obsolete by the minute. I'm going to be doing HiDef DV editing soon and the thing can barely handle editing movies from my cellphone.

Yeah, there's the 13.3" MacBooks. I can live with the plastic (or lexan or whatever) casing. I can even live with the glossy screen (maybe). But the cheapo plastic keyboard? That's just too much. I want a real keyboard! And a non-glossy screen!

I know this is rehashing, but maybe if we all wish hard enough, they'll make one.

Has anyone here gone from a Powerbook to a Macbook? I just can't imagine.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    That must be one heck of a backpack if you're looking to buy a computer that will fit the bag, instead of buying a bag that will fit the computer.

Quote:

I'm going to be doing HiDef DV editing soon

Are you doing your editing on the laptop screen or on an external monitor hooked up to the laptop? One of the main complaints I've heard from people about the current MacBook pro line is that Apple still doesn't have a laptop that can handle true HD resolutions, mainly 1920x1080. Maybe things will change when Apple is ready to offer a laptop with a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD drive.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I'm in the same situation. I absolutely love the size of my 12 inch powerbook. I hook it up to my 23 inch monitor at home and it travels like a dream on the road. It's a couple years old and I still get comments from people who love its look.

I don't want a MacBook and I don't want a 15 inch MBP. I will wait patiently until Apple comes out with its subnotebook. Except, my thing is, I don't want it to be TOO "sub".
  • Reply 3 of 9
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    There are an awful lot of 12" PB owners who are still happy with their machines and refuse to buy a bulkier, heavier Macbook. Most of the people who say "Apple doesn't need to make an ultralight" have never owned the 12" or another company's subnotebook.

There's only one thing I really wish Apple would put on their notebooks which would really make them easy to carry around. How about a Magsafe connector on the bottom and a charging dock, so we can just drop it on the dock or pick it up without having to mess with the current power cord? Heck, with gravity doing the work, we don't even need Magsafe and you can pick the laptop up one-handed without having to pry off the dock. Should cost only a couple of dollars to make a dock that's mostly molded plastic, a Magsafe connector to fit the current AC adapter, and contacts on the top to match new contacts on the bottom of the laptop. In fact, didn't the original "toilet seat" iBook have such contacts, but nobody ever made a charger to fit them?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jethro1138 View Post

"Hey, can I check if this laptop will fit in my bag?"

Have you considered a new bag?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    jethro1138jethro1138 Posts: 104member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fran441 View Post

That must be one heck of a backpack if you're looking to buy a computer that will fit the bag, instead of buying a bag that will fit the computer.

No, it's just a small, easy to carry backpack. That's the point (; I have a really REALLY nice laptop carrying backpack that I use for the giant ThinkPad I have for work, but it's SO BULKY.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fran441 View Post

Are you doing your editing on the laptop screen or on an external monitor hooked up to the laptop?

Probably on the actual laptop, and pushing it out to the actual TV if I want to actually preview what it'll really look like. I don't mind editing in scaled down. If I get serious I can always dualhead over to another monitor. Or the TV for that matter (:
  • Reply 6 of 9
    jethro1138jethro1138 Posts: 104member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krispie View Post

Have you considered a new bag?

*laughs* I have a big bag for my work-supplied ThinkPad. I don't want a huge bulky BAG any more than I want a huge bulky laptop.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by specialkbdc View Post

I'm in the same situation. I absolutely love the size of my 12 inch powerbook. I hook it up to my 23 inch monitor at home and it travels like a dream on the road. It's a couple years old and I still get comments from people who love its look.

I don't want a MacBook and I don't want a 15 inch MBP. I will wait patiently until Apple comes out with its subnotebook. Except, my thing is, I don't want it to be TOO "sub".

We are in exactly the same boat.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Performa636CD View Post

We are in exactly the same boat.

How much are you prepared to pay for it? Proper miniaturisation ain't cheap.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

In fact, didn't the original "toilet seat" iBook have such contacts, but nobody ever made a charger to fit them?

I don't think the clamshell iBook has anything like that, unless it is hidden inside rendering completely useless.

Quote:

It's a couple years old and I still get comments from people who love its look.

I get the same thing with my Key Lime clamshell iBook. Someone even thought it was new!

Tedrick