Mix: Apple product shortages, iPhone receipt, store closing

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coreyweb View Post

I doubt it means anything....they probably are just running short because people have bought them. I mean thats how things usually happen right?? But...new products are always nice. It'd be cool, but I have my doubts. Rumors will be rumors.....

That's not how supply chain logistics works. Stocks never run below a predefined level unless there is a distribution problem elsewhere in the chain. Distribution stocks are automatically replenished, so either there is a manufacturing problem, a line is discontinued, or as the article points out, a product is being updated.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by palex9 View Post

i just checked apple uk and apple germany. mac minis and imacs are all ready for shipping withing 24 hours!!! that does not sound like a shortage to me.

apple insider, how about some fact checking??????

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! If retail outlets (or UK Apple store) have stock available in their stores / warehouse, they will be showing immediate shipping times. That doesn't mean that the distribution / supply chain is seeing a shortage. Why would Apple allow stock at their point of sales to run dry of existing product lines? They wouldn't!
  • Reply 22 of 37
    I received an email from the Apple Store at the Atlanta Lenox Square location--also a very busy store--and they will be closed for remodeling during the exact same period. I figure they'll be installing the flat screens for the Apple TV area...
  • Reply 23 of 37
    palex9palex9 Posts: 105member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

That's not how supply chain logistics works. Stocks never run below a predefined level unless there is a distribution problem elsewhere in the chain. Distribution stocks are automatically replenished, so either there is a manufacturing problem, a line is discontinued, or as the article points out, a product is being updated.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! If retail outlets (or UK Apple store) have stock available in their stores / warehouse, they will be showing immediate shipping times. That doesn't mean that the distribution / supply chain is seeing a shortage. Why would Apple allow stock at their point of sales to run dry of existing product lines? They wouldn't!

...and your point is????? a shortage means in short supply, right? means not easy to get, right?
  • Reply 24 of 37
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

...and your point is????? a shortage means in short supply, right? means not easy to get, right?

Right? and the shortage to which the original Macworld UK article refers is at third-party (i.e., not the Apple online store or Apple "bricks & mortar" stores) retailers who are reporting that their stocks are running low and that they've been told by their distributors that they won't be able to get new stock for another few weeks.

Hopefully this is now 100% clear for those that weren't getting it.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:

What are you talking about? I was referring to your comment stating that, in your opinion, there was no shortage! You advised AppleInsider to get their facts strait.

Read Mr.H's reply if you don't understand what I was saying.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    dutch peardutch pear Posts: 588member
    Yay, i need a MB by may, so a refresh prior to may would be perfect!

I smell hardware updates are in the wind 8)

Still hoping against all odds that Leopard will be out by half april as well
  • Reply 27 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bradsteratl View Post

I received an email from the Apple Store at the Atlanta Lenox Square location--also a very busy store--and they will be closed for remodeling during the exact same period. I figure they'll be installing the flat screens for the Apple TV area...

Probably. I was wondering where the AppleTVs would go...
  • Reply 28 of 37
    hohlecowhohlecow Posts: 50member
    does anyone have the original image (in their cache or wherever)? of this receipt? the original clearly said 1Phone, but that seems to have vanished, and there's a Photoshop tag on every version of the receipt I can find now.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hohlecow View Post

does anyone have the original image (in their cache or wherever)? of this receipt? the original clearly said 1Phone, but that seems to have vanished, and there's a Photoshop tag on every version of the receipt I can find now.

Oh Silly Me... every version of the photo says "iPhone" now! Oh the evil deed that has been done by Cingular, photoshopping every version of the photo. Shame on you Cingular, Shame on you.

Sebastian
  • Reply 30 of 37
    The central store here in Houston, Texas, the one at the Galleria, is closed for just one week and will be open Saturday, March 10 or Sunday the 11th.

I'm interested to see what is different.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay View Post

Yah, this is awesome news. 350 bucks! What a deal!!!!

That's saving you $6.25 a month, doesn't seem like much but it certainly adds up over 24 months. Kind of makes you realize how a little bit of money can add up over time.

Calm down! There will be NO discount on the iphone. Discounts you get now are done when you sign up for a 1 or 2 year agreement. Since the iPhone REQUIRES a two year agreement, what point is there then giving you a discount? You might as well state it sells for $350.

And if you don't like that argument, how about this. Apple has total control over this product (as has been mentioned with their deal with Cingular). Apple DOES NOT offer discounts on anything. Nada. Squatch. Squadoosh. Nil. Zippo. In fact, one would think the way apple sells products, uttering the words "rebate", "discounts", or "special pricing" will get you 60 lashes with the new iWhip (shhh, don't tell anyone, but that's Apple's next big thing - a whip with a built-in ipod, and it selects music based on how hard you're whipping those poor peons who refuse to do their work in a timely manner). Apple is NOT going to let Cingular undercut them. Ain't going to happen.

Plus, how come no one's mentioning the important thing here. If cingular is already screwing up on their receipts now, how bad will Cingular be screwing things up when they do start selling the iphone. Will you buy an iphone and it'll say "blackberry" on the bottom?
  • Reply 32 of 37
    bvsc79bvsc79 Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shadow Slayer 26 View Post

Probably. I was wondering where the AppleTVs would go...

Nope, Lenox is closing for a complete and total remodel. The store will close for a week starting this sunday, during which time a mini store (and I do mean mini-15 ft wide , 30 ft long, 8 ft ceilings) will be built while the rest of the store undergoes a complete remodel for the next 3 months. Once this remodel is complete, Lenox will be the largest Apple Store in the south. 8)

Lenox is one of the top Apple stores worldwide (they beat most flagship stores during busy weekends and holidays and beat 5th avenue in revenue during tax free weekend last august). From my source Apple Corporate has tried to remodel Lenox 5 times now and each time Steve Jobs personally said no because of the revenue Lenox was raking in.

Sadly, during the remodel Lenox will not carry the AppleTV (among other items) and they will also lose their theater (one of the last in the non flagship stores from what I understand.)
  • Reply 33 of 37
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    OK, just to squelch the speculation about the iPhone price drop, try this: Google "Cingular part number 62624" and look what comes up....

It's the Blackberry Pearl the guy just bought, isn't it?

The "iPhone" bit is just a database spitting out a typo. End of story. Can we all agree, or will there still be deniers, holdouts and people singing "lalalalalalalalalala!" with their fingers in their ears?
  • Reply 34 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebrunn View Post

thats cleary an "i" you idiot

ebrunn, there is clearly no reason to sling insults around. Why must all message boards eventally devolve into 3rd grade level insults and personal attacks? That's why this is only my 4th post after lurking for MANY years.

Anyway, I just got confirmation directly from Mr. Punsalan himself via a post on his website. He got a 2 year service agreement when he purchased the Pearl. That seems to support my theory that the bit about the service agreement relates to the discount he got when buying the Pearl.

So, it's my opinion that there are only a small number of possibilities.

1. The "i" is a typographical error.

2. The "i" is a printer error. The printer was trying to print a "1". This is a dot matrix printer and those types of printers somtimes fail to print a dot here and there.

3. Cingular decided to drop in a reference to the iPhone for no good reason.

4. This is a quick and easy PhotoShop job.

My money is on numbers 1 and 2.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    huerixhuerix Posts: 15member
    hmmm....

We have shortages that don't exist, and either a database error OR a photoshop job.... I don't blame the Insider for posting this stuff, but I am eagerly awaiting some real information.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    emulatoremulator Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by derric1968 View Post

2. The "i" is a printer error. The printer was trying to print a "1". This is a dot matrix printer and those types of printers somtimes fail to print a dot here and there.

Hmmm, that's clearly thermal paper. I haven't seen cash registers with dot matrix printers for at least 15 years now.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by derric1968 View Post

So, it's my opinion that there are only a small number of possibilities.

Numbers 1-2 don't make sense unless the printer forgot to print the space between the "1" and "phone. It wouldn't be "1Phone", it would be "1 phone" if anything (with a lowercase p). If this isn't real, it's photoshopped. But somehow that seems unlikely to me