I Want My NEW MACBOOK PRO!

Comments

• Reply 41 of 104
    tonyd007tonyd007 Posts: 36member
    No Chance Jaddie, People want smaller if anything, 17" is as big as it gets.
  • Reply 42 of 104
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TonyD007 View Post

No Chance Jaddie, People want smaller if anything, 17" is as big as it gets.

I don't know what you do mean, but there is already from last year at least one 20" laptop model.
  • Reply 43 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

I don't know what you do mean, but there is already from last year at least one 20" laptop model.

The is no Powerbook or Macbook Pro that has a 20" screen. I seriously doubt Apple will make one over 17".
  • Reply 44 of 104
    I'm all for a complete redesign. If we're waiting for Leopard to be installed on them there's plenty of time for refinements to the entire line. Some people want a really small laptop, some want an average sized one, some want a monster.

Personally I want the monster. If Apple is going to make a sub-notebook, they ought to make a monster sized one too. I'm not concerned about an extra pound if I can get a graphics card that isn't under-clocked. I'd take an extra pound if it meant having multiple drive bays for multiple hard drives (which is convenient with the new Time Machine).

Some people have a desktop model at home, yet others (such as myself) have a MacBook Pro as their only computer due to extensive travel. Apple ought to recognize that there are people out here who need a pro model when the pro model offered isn't pro enough.

And I'll even make a preemptive argument against what people tend to shout back at me. No, I will not travel with an iMac, nor will I travel with an Alienware laptop. The last Windows OS I used was 98 Second Edition and I'll happily never go back. I simply need a laptop that does more than what Apple currently provides with their pro lines. I'll also not travel with a bulky external hard drive. Not only is this cumbersome, but completely unrealistic. I have a large music library, tv shows, movies, a large movie library from video I shot with my High Definition camcorder, and an iPhoto library pushing 8,000 photos - all 5MP or greater (I currently shoot in 10MP). If I moved these libraries to the external hard drive (as most would suggest), I'd literally have to have it connected every time I wanted to access that media. That's simply not something I'm prepared to do all the time.

Apple did a great job with bringing the digital lifestyle together in their products, now all they have to do is make sure we can actually store all of our media in their products, which is something I currently can not do.
  • Reply 45 of 104
    elderlocelderloc Posts: 146member
    It seems unlikely to me as well i hae used a 19" laptop from Alienware. This seems a little off beat, it's more of a special niche market for gaming. I have a 17" MBP and it's really nice but I think that's about as big as main stream will get.
  • Reply 46 of 104
    Patiently waiting for a Santa Rosa MBP
  • Reply 47 of 104
    Well I have till Saturday to return this MBP 17" if I so wish... I don't think I will I got the USB modem and an extra Battery for it. Would suck if they updated the battey...
  • Reply 48 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elderloc View Post

Well I have till Saturday to return this MBP 17" if I so wish... I don't think I will I got the USB modem and an extra Battery for it. Would suck if they updated the battey...

Roll with what you got man. The only reason I am waiting is becuase I already have a $3000 PC compatible laptop sitting in front of me.

If I didn't already have something, I would be all over the current MBP. It's the dogs bullocks.
  • Reply 49 of 104
    Haha, yeah, I want a new laptop too. Preferably a Mac.

Several of you said that we'll see new macbooks when Santa Rosa comes out. I agree.

Penryn is also coming out this year though. I'd rather have Penryn than Santa Rosa personally, even though it would be a few more months, but releasing new macbooks within that short a period of time seems unlikely.

So, do you think we'll have the Penryn option in laptops or no?
  • Reply 50 of 104
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Santa Rosa is a logic board. It'll use updated Core 2 Duo CPUs. The SR C2D MBPs will be out this spring, around May or June. About 6 months later, by November, it could be updated with Penryn CPUs. It'd be the same chipset, Santa Rosa's Crestline, but with the new 45nm CPUs.

Santa Rosa is the name of the new platform.

Crestline is the codename for Intel's mobile 965GM chipset, part of the Santa Rosa platform.

Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3000 will be used in the upcoming MacBooks.
  • Reply 51 of 104
    Oh I have a Dell D620 with 2 gig ram, dvd burn 160 gig HD, and the top C2D in it. But it was not Macbook So I bought the MBP 17, I'm no fan boy, although I wish it had a little better res on screen and video card. I was just so sick of the Dell. The dam keys are poping off it when I type, it's been repaired 4 times in last few months.
  • Reply 52 of 104
    mrpiddlymrpiddly Posts: 406member
    Monday, nvida card and new processor.
  • Reply 53 of 104
    While we are at it, better resolution.
  • Reply 54 of 104
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Elderloc, I remember reading somewhere recently that Leopard (or maybe whatever is coming after Leopard) might have a feature called independant resolution. Someone call me up on that if it's wrong, I just remember Apple toying with the theory that things will one day no longer be dependant on pixels for measurement, meaning your display could show a whole lot more than it does currently..

Tried to find a link but got nothing..

Jimzip
  • Reply 55 of 104
    dean812dean812 Posts: 32member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TonyD007 View Post

Guys, Lets stick to the topic: Lets speculate new Macbook Pro Specs and/or new ideas/features for the new Macbook Pro.

What I think would be cool is for the book to come with a built in usb thumb drive that is seemless with the case, yet can be removed and has encryption and stuff. What do you guys think?

I think that something like that would be used by too few people. Apple seems to be very careful not to include things that the minority will use and opts instead for what MOST people would consider useful. I mean look at even memory card readers. They are on 5 out of 10 laptops and Apple hasnt touched them.

I for one appreciate that they keep it simple and stay away from trends.
  • Reply 56 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

Well that's wonderful, but such a CPU doesn't exist and won't any time soon. The spring update to Merom will give us 2.4 GHz, but that's about it.

Nor is there a 250 GB 2.5-inch drive. You could use two drives, which you're gonna have a hard time fitting in the slim MBP case, so that would realistically only be an option for the 17-inch model.

Fujitsu announced a 250 and 300GB 2.5" hard drives back in December. They should be out any time now. Other than that, top end:

santa rosa chipset

300GB HD

2.6GHZ c2d

4GB ram

17" screem

Nvidia 8600 256 or 512 ram

blu-ray

Leopard

Announced at key note WWDC.
  • Reply 57 of 104
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quisling View Post

Fujitsu announced a 250 and 300GB 2.5" hard drives back in

4GB ram

17" screem

Nvidia 8600 256 or 512 ram

I love 17" screems.

Especially when they're announced at the WWDC..

Jimzip
  • Reply 58 of 104
    Yes they are working on the resolution thang. But higher resolution would still be nice. I believe that just means that the Icons and Text will not be linked to the screen res. Not 100% sure what it means could not find it on ADC.
  • Reply 59 of 104
    kzelk4kzelk4 Posts: 100member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elderloc View Post

Yes they are working on the resolution thang. But higher resolution would still be nice. I believe that just means that the Icons and Text will not be linked to the screen res. Not 100% sure what it means could not find it on ADC.

pretty sure thats mainly what it does
  • Reply 60 of 104
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    According to HKEPC, we are on for a nice surprise.

Launch date of the new mobile C2D is May 6th and prices are down:

T7700 2.4GHz/800FSB/4MB $530, the current C2D 2.33GHz is $637

T7500 2.2GHz/800FSB/4MB $316, the current C2D 2.16GHz is $423

T7300 2.0GHz/800FSB/4MB $241, the current C2D 2.00GHz is $294

T7100 1.8GHz/800FSB/4MB $209, the current C2D 1.83GHz is $241

Low-Voltage:

L7500 1.6GHz/800FSB/4MB $316

L7300 1.4GHz/800FSB/4MB $241

And for Q3:

X7800 2.6GHz/800FSB/4MB $851

That means to me that Apple should be able to keep the same price points, even if the motherboard is more expensive (965 chipset) and add some features: NAND, new GPUs, new displays...

Yet, I don't believe Penryn (45nm chips) will be available before 2008 in mobile flavor. The latest rumors, I've read are for Xeon version first (Q4), then desktop (late Q4 or Q1'2008.) and finally mobile (Q1'2008.). Conroe will have a FSB speedbump to 1333 in Q3 before going 45nm.

Mac mini (one model):

1.8GHz, 1GB RAM, 5400rpm 80HD, SD, GMA3000 GPU $599

MacBook:

1.8GHz white, 1GB RAM, 5400rpm 80HD, SD, GMA3000 GPU $1099

2.0GHz white, 1GB RAM, 5400rpm 120HD, SD, GMA3000 GPU $1299

2.0GHz black, 1GB RAM, 5400rpm 160HD, SD, GMA3000 GPU $1499

iMac:

1.8GHz 17", 1GB RAM, 7200rpm 80HD, SD, GMA3000 GPU $999

2.0GHz 17", 1GB RAM, 7200rpm 160HD, SD, discreet GPU $1199

2.2GHz 20", 1GB RAM, 7200rpm 250HD, SD, discreet GPU $1499

2.4GHz 24", 1GB RAM, 7200rpm 250HD, SD, discreet GPU+ $1999

MacBook Pro: