Long shot: Apple takes on Office?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was reading the latest posts at Mini-MSFT and came across this post:

If something continues to surprize me it is that with so much unproductiveness Microsoft is still surviving somehow.

That is because with monopoly position in a couple of markets, Microsoft is immune to market forces, that correct such inefficiencies. Were normal market forces operating, as for pretty much everyone else, such bungling of products would not happen, because if it did, MSFT would be trading at $13/share.

By Anonymous, at Sunday, March 04, 2007 6:53:23 PM

It made me wonder what would happen if Apple stepped up to the plate and offered a standards-based Office suite for Mac and Windows. OpenOffice with with a few extra bucks in its back pocket...

Could this be part of the embrace and extinguish strategy? Microsoft seems to keep trying its old techniques (undermining current standards with its own i.e., open xml) while failing at the new (Zune).

Have to admit, I'd love this to happen.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    iWork '07 is rumored to have a spreadsheet app, and a word processing mode for Pages.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    You don't have to worry. Microsoft is being attacked at pretty much every side.

Windows is Losing Market Share to Macs and Linux (not sure why on Linux, but it is)

Windows Server and other Microsoft Servers are losing Market Share to Linux (this one is understandable) and Leopard Server will no doubt take a chunk as well

Internet Explorer is losing market share to switchers that choose other Platforms AND Firefox on Windows

Office is being attacked by OpenOffice.org, and IBM's own software, but for Small Businesses and Consumers, OpenOffice.org and MAYBE Google Apps (In truth I think I underestimate this one, but someone who actually knows it's full impact can judge it for all I care) will help Small Businesses (which are also choosing Macs )

Sebastian
  • Reply 3 of 16
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    It would not surprise me if Apple was working on a "professional" version of it's iWork applications, or at least has a roadmap for them, but I do not think they will produce a Windows version.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ricksbrain View Post

I was reading the latest posts at Mini-MSFT and came across this post:

If something continues to surprize me it is that with so much unproductiveness Microsoft is still surviving somehow.

That is because with monopoly position in a couple of markets, Microsoft is immune to market forces, that correct such inefficiencies. Were normal market forces operating, as for pretty much everyone else, such bungling of products would not happen, because if it did, MSFT would be trading at $13/share.

By Anonymous, at Sunday, March 04, 2007 6:53:23 PM

It made me wonder what would happen if Apple stepped up to the plate and offered a standards-based Office suite for Mac and Windows. OpenOffice with with a few extra bucks in its back pocket...

Could this be part of the embrace and extinguish strategy? Microsoft seems to keep trying its old techniques (undermining current standards with its own i.e., open xml) while failing at the new (Zune).

Have to admit, I'd love this to happen.

Imagine....iWork 07 built into Apple Leopard's new OS, and the Windows version being about 60-100 dollars. Wouldn't that be amazing? That would essentially make Leopard even cheaper, if you believe Sony's way of pricing, because not only are you paying for a new OS, but your paying for a office suite.

And some of you might say that will never happen, and you might be right, but think of this: What does virtually every computer use? What program does EVERYone use? Word. Or some word processor. And if any computer can't do what everyone does, then is it really a complete package? So why not include it, or some version of it? Maybe just Pages, since hardl anyone really needs Keynote/Spreedsheets, and to get the complete package it would just be a simple 20-30 dollar cost.

And with MS making the choice of forcing you into buying Word (by making Word Pad no longer open word documents), it would come at just the right time.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Office is being attacked by OpenOffice.org, and IBM's own software, but for Small Businesses and Consumers, OpenOffice.org and MAYBE Google Apps (In truth I think I underestimate this one, but someone who actually knows it's full impact can judge it for all I care) will help Small Businesses (which are also choosing Macs )

Sebastian

Don't underestimate GoogleApps! I think that could be one of the biggest small business software events.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post

Don't underestimate GoogleApps! I think that could be one of the biggest small business software events.

Yeah but it's WYSIWYG tools leave much to be desired. Usually when I'm working on a document I don't expect to code it in HTML.

Sebastian
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macintosh_Next View Post

Imagine....iWork 07 built into Apple Leopard's new OS, and the Windows version being about 60-100 dollars. Wouldn't that be amazing? That would essentially make Leopard even cheaper, if you believe Sony's way of pricing, because not only are you paying for a new OS, but your paying for a office suite.

And some of you might say that will never happen, and you might be right, but think of this: What does virtually every computer use? What program does EVERYone use? Word. Or some word processor. And if any computer can't do what everyone does, then is it really a complete package? So why not include it, or some version of it? Maybe just Pages, since hardl anyone really needs Keynote/Spreedsheets, and to get the complete package it would just be a simple 20-30 dollar cost.

And with MS making the choice of forcing you into buying Word (by making Word Pad no longer open word documents), it would come at just the right time.

Heh heh, technically Microsoft isn't forcing you to buy Word. If you download the Trial Versions, once they expire they will essentially turn into File Readers.

Sebastian
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Heh heh, technically Microsoft isn't forcing you to buy Word. If you download the Trial Versions, once they expire they will essentially turn into File Readers.

Sebastian

Ah, I never thought of that. BUT still, it would be a good idea...
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts View Post

It would not surprise me if Apple was working on a "professional" version of it's iWork applications, or at least has a roadmap for them, but I do not think they will produce a Windows version.

Yeah, well look what I found:

• Reply 10 of 16
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by max_naylor View Post

Yeah, well look what I found:

Obviously fake btw:

1) When was the last time Apple shipped a box that large for any software other than Aperture and Final Cut?

2) That tagline below "iWork Pro" is not very Apple like. Consider for instance:

iLife '06

Music, Photos, Movies, Blogs.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Obviously fake btw:

1) When was the last time Apple shipped a box that large for any software other than Aperture and Final Cut?

2) That tagline below "iWork Pro" is not very Apple like. Consider for instance:

iLife '06

Music, Photos, Movies, Blogs.

Consider...it could have been magnified (explains the bad quality). Consdier...Final Cut PRO.

Anyway, I would agree that it's fake..the design is ugly (but then, it could just bet he picture quality). But who knows....
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macintosh_Next View Post

Consider...it could have been magnified (explains the bad quality). Consdier...Final Cut PRO.

Anyway, I would agree that it's fake..the design is ugly (but then, it could just bet he picture quality). But who knows....

All the poor picture quality means is that it saves the creator from having to make it look very detailed, and it leaves ambiguity, keeping people guessing. But they are all fake.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    I personally don?t mind the design. And no, I did NOT create the picture. I merely found it. I agree, the aspect ratio of the box is not 1:1, it?s a larger box like the old Tiger box. However, this could fit in line with Apple?s Pro products, look at the dark packaging, it?s uncharacteristic of consumer Apple software products as it is.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

I personally don?t mind the design. And no, I did NOT create the picture. I merely found it. I agree, the aspect ratio of the box is not 1:1, it?s a larger box like the old Tiger box. However, this could fit in line with Apple?s Pro products, look at the dark packaging, it?s uncharacteristic of consumer Apple software products as it is.

I wasn't implying that you created it -- just that it's fake.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

Same here, Max. I wasn't saying you created it -- just that it was a fake. :-D And you are right, it would fit into Apple's products, so who knows.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

I wasn't implying that you created it -- just that it's fake.

LOL I didn?t mean to come across like that, I was just covering my arse.