dont trust apple sales reps

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
dont trust the apple sales reps. when i was enquiring about a refurbished mac book pro on the site, i was very interested, until i found out it had a matte screen. i was about to end the call, when the sales rep asked me to hold for one sec, and then came back saying he would get a glossy screen on it for me, thus securing the sale. i was also unsure about buying a refurbished product, but he assured me all signs of wear are removed and all parts with wear are replaced. got my macbook pro today and there is no glossy screen , and there are loads of scratches on it. im currently in discussions with apple about how to deal with this, but its rediculious what they will do for a sale. the screen wasnt glossy, i would happily have went on my way, but he had to make a sale and lied. there is an identical spec macbook pro, with a glossy screen on the refurb site at present but they will not swap it for my current machine.thats rediclious, considering the amount of money i spent on this thing. i will reserve any more judgement until i see how they handle the suituation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    yoseyose Posts: 62member
    Did you pay with VISA? Sounds like a crummy mistake to have happened, for whatever reason. VISA can probably help you out though.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    paid with master card. apple offered me 75 euros and an apology to forget the incident, or 150 euro off a brand new mac book pro. the problem there is a new one, even with 150 off is way out of my price range. they are not budging off this either. they seem to know i cannot be without a pc at home for any longer ( been a week already and studys are suffering). they are being quite inhospitable about it. there is the exact spec on the refurb site today, with a glossy screen, exactly what i want, but they wont change my order for the glossy refurb. only for a new one which costs me a heap more. i have spent 4 hours on teh phone so far and no change in this decision. i dont know what to do now.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Well, start with this...What do YOU want? Do you want to return the matte one and buy the glossy one? If so, then dispute the charge with your credit card company. If you did not receive what you ordered, then you should be able to dispute it. Then go buy the one you want. However, just to be sure you have a case, do you have anything that says you ordered the glossy one? And regardless of what the salesman says about the cosmetic condition (scratches), what does Apple say about it? Do they have anything on their web site about how they address cosmetic defects in their refurbished computers?

Good luck!
  • Reply 4 of 18
    yes, apple say refurbs may have minor cosmetic defects, so im not gona win that one. i was told i was getting a glossy screen though. the only invoice i got was with my package and it specifies neither type of screen. they are aware of the mistake, they have admitted fault and apologies, but they will not supply the original ordered product, as they say they would have to replace with another refurb, and they are accounted for as soon as they go on the site, so they cant exchange for one. so tehy will offer me a refund, but thats it. my issue with this is i paid for my specific order, waited for it to come, it was wrong, this was their fault. they should supply the order they told me they would supply. its simple. you go to a resturrant, order steak and get fish, your gona be miffed if the resturrant wont change the meal for exactly what you ordered.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Ah HA! So it didn't happen in the the good ole U.S. of A.!
  • Reply 6 of 18
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    I understand how frustrating it must be. Like you said, you saw what you wanted, ordered it, waited for it and then.....not what you wanted. If they are now saying that they cannot supply you with what you want and they are willing to refund your original order, I'd settle for that. Forget about a swap. Ask for a refund.

Now start over. Do they, right now, have exactly what you want...meaning a glossy screen with your specs? If not, keep looking. If so, order that one.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    elronelron Posts: 126member
    Replace the word "apple" in this thread's title with the word "any".
  • Reply 8 of 18
    skatmanskatman Posts: 609member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elron View Post

Replace the word "apple" in this thread's title with the word "any".

That's a generalization that is, in general, not true!

I would talk to Apple customer care supervisor that you will be desputing with your CC company and that you're not here to start a war, but to purchase a laptop.

If the supervisor is an idiot and doesn't listen, consult the credit card agreement and look up credit card despute law in your local.

In USA, for example, the CC can't charge you, in the case of a despute, unless they prove that it was your mistake. You don't have to prove anything. And generally speaking from my experience, once the CC company starts the process, the merchant always backs off in this case because they just don't want to deal with.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    returning the MBP. the customer support guys are getting the courriers to contact me about returning the laptop, and im getting 150 off my next purchase at apple. best i was offered. guess il have to take it. better than what some companies offer i suppose.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    hi_qhi_q Posts: 31member
    Wow. I do refurbs for MacBooks at the Apple Facility in Elk Grove.

Granted there is a chance that there is some imperfections, but 99% of the time there is not. We go through an EXTREMELY vigorous testing process garanteeing perfect and like-new operation. The drives are tested for 4 hours straight and LCD screens are always replaced. While I have not seen any matte screens at our facility, I have to say that Glossy are standard and the way to go. The contrast is a thousand times better and everything is so much sharper.

You should not be afraid to buy refurbished. They are in excellent quality and should live up to your expectations. While we may not ever know who gets whose machine from our plant, I will say this..... ALL (100%) of MY machines are 100% replaced parts. TOuchpad, LCD, Logic Board, RAM and Hard Drive. I stand by my work and I know that the person who gets my machines are happy because I give them exactly what I would expect from a machine.

Sorry if thats off topic, I just wanted to share.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    i dont doubt you! but it seems, from my expirience, that not all refurbs are treated with such care. anyway, from my expirience with refurbs, im done with them. new for me from now on. thats not insulting you as im sure you do a great job, just not everyone everyone does though.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by schmintan View Post

returning the MBP. the customer support guys are getting the courriers to contact me about returning the laptop, and im getting 150 off my next purchase at apple. best i was offered. guess il have to take it. better than what some companies offer i suppose.

I think that is reasonable. Full refund + 150 off your next purchase. It is tragic how much you had to be firm for this to take place. Please verify which country you are talking about, and is it Apple official or an Apple dealership? Apple operates very differently in different countries. Thanks.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

i dont doubt you! but it seems, from my expirience, that not all refurbs are treated with such care. anyway, from my expirience with refurbs, im done with them. new for me from now on. thats not insulting you as im sure you do a great job, just not everyone everyone does though.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hi_Q View Post

Wow. I do refurbs for MacBooks at the Apple Facility in Elk Grove.

Granted there is a chance that there is some imperfections, but 99% of the time there is not. We go through an EXTREMELY vigorous testing process garanteeing perfect and like-new operation. The drives are tested for 4 hours straight and LCD screens are always replaced. While I have not seen any matte screens at our facility, I have to say that Glossy are standard and the way to go. The contrast is a thousand times better and everything is so much sharper.

You should not be afraid to buy refurbished. They are in excellent quality and should live up to your expectations. While we may not ever know who gets whose machine from our plant, I will say this..... ALL (100%) of MY machines are 100% replaced parts. TOuchpad, LCD, Logic Board, RAM and Hard Drive. I stand by my work and I know that the person who gets my machines are happy because I give them exactly what I would expect from a machine.

Sorry if thats off topic, I just wanted to share.

Yes, I think refurbs in general are OK. Again, schmintan please let us know what country this happened in. And yes officially it does say that refurbs will have some "minor cosmetic defects".

Buying new, you are guaranteed high level of cosmetic quality, but do check what the policy on dead pixels for LCD screens are. Again, unlikely, but it has happened to me before - 1 to 3 dead pixels...
  • Reply 14 of 18
    hi_qhi_q Posts: 31member
    Quote:

Shhhhh I only buy new as well. Dont tell my boss.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Yes, I think refurbs in general are OK. Again, schmintan please let us know what country this happened in. And yes officially it does say that refurbs will have some "minor cosmetic defects".

Buying new, you are guaranteed high level of cosmetic quality, but do check what the policy on dead pixels for LCD screens are. Again, unlikely, but it has happened to me before - 1 to 3 dead pixels...

Got to be kidding me. My brand new macbook was so warped it was a joke. Took 2 months for apple to agree to a replacement after two touch pad / button replacements and the warping!!!! Apple love their "it's just cosmetic" saying when it comes to warranty issues. We shouldn't have even been talking warranty issues with a brand new machine!!!
  • Reply 16 of 18
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    I just bought a refurbished Mac Pro. The video card was not secured by a screw and was just held in by the tension of the PCI slot.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Poppet View Post

Got to be kidding me. My brand new macbook was so warped it was a joke. Took 2 months for apple to agree to a replacement after two touch pad / button replacements and the warping!!!! Apple love their "it's just cosmetic" saying when it comes to warranty issues. We shouldn't have even been talking warranty issues with a brand new machine!!!

That's sad to hear. Sounds like where I work we'd do a "Dead On Arrival" (within 7 days) and give the customer a brand new unit straight away.

In-store I've opened about 10 MacBookPros and 20 MacBooks in the past few months, and been around a lot more as other salespeople opened them. The brand new ones we are getting seem to be quite okay. Occasionally dead iPod Touch here and there.

Again, depends on a lot of different countries. All I can say is be firm, not an ass, but as firm as possible.

I don't work in any call centre/ phone sales so I don't know what that is like. I definitely prefer face-to-face. Buying or selling, Macs or otherwise.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    The refurbs we are doing now can be personally inspected and are bought in-store, not over the phone or delivery etc. unless one is far away from the main city area.