Taxes

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
No this isn't a political debate.

How do yours get done, what form do you use?

I use Turbotax.com and 1040 long with all the wonderful additional forms.

Nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Nick

I have a CPA. Worth every penny of his fee. He has saved me thousands.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    CPA. As a small business owner, my taxes are beyond my ability and time to do.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    maimezvousmaimezvous Posts: 802member
    I don't work.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    CPA. Expensive for my personal taxes, but good for my business taxes.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    My wife does them.

Actually, she's quite good, with college accounting courses and experience as treasurer of a non-profit organization. She likes doing taxes. Before we were married she took her taxes to H&R Block. After doing that for a couple years she found ways to avoid even more tax doing it herself. She filed amended returns and never looked back.

I feel very fortunate.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    turbotax. basic. i have some investment income, but that is the most complex it gets for me...
  • Reply 7 of 19
    My wife is a CPA, which works out well b/c I am tax stupid and our taxes are fairly complicated.

Or maybe I am just tax lazy. I am sure if I was single, I would learn.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I have a CPA. Worth every penny of his fee. He has saved me thousands.

Same here. Our taxes are fairly complex and I can't imagine doing them myself.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Who pays taxes?
  • Reply 10 of 19
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    I don't have time. CPA.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Turbo Tax. It has been working great for me for about 8 out of 9 years (well, it wasnt always Turbo Tax, I think it was MacInTax back in the day).

Once its set up with my info (re-imported every year) it really only takes one evening to bang it out. Got my refund last week...

That one year without Turbo Tax was when I sold my buisness and things got wierd. I went to a CPA but he didn't seem to know much more than the program on HIS computer. Furthermore, it was a pain lugging everything to him and explaining complications and such. Anyway, I felt like it gave me some cover if anything went wrong...5 years past, so I guess it worked out.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

Who pays taxes?

Is there a story here?

Or just no income...
  • Reply 13 of 19
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    CPA I could do it myself, but I'd rather rub shit through my hair.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Nick

H&R Block for a few years in the USA. H&R Block and another different franchise for Australia.

Now, roll my own for Australia (my mum's and my taxes).

Austarlia has a pretty decent online-tax-lodgement thing direct into the government tax website.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

Who pays taxes?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Is there a story here?

Or just no income...

There's definitely a story here. Not sure if we really want to hear it though.

• Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

My wife does them.

Actually, she's quite good, with college accounting courses and experience as treasurer of a non-profit organization. She likes doing taxes. Before we were married she took her taxes to H&R Block. After doing that for a couple years she found ways to avoid even more tax doing it herself. She filed amended returns and never looked back.

I feel very fortunate.

Once you learn off the H&RBlock type people, you realise how easy it is... As long as you don't do too tricky stuff like try to deduct every single thing including a Starbucks cookie.

When I was last in the US, they had a standard deduction amount, that helps you NOT have to itemize your deductions. That makes things hella easy.

It's keeping all the bloody tiny receipts that is the killer in doing taxes and stuff, not the actual filing, sometimes.

If you sell properties and shares though the capital gains (depending on state and country, etc.) may require an accountant.

Also if you plan on backdating options or receiving backdated options you'll need to hire Al Gore to head an inquiry to clear/cover your ass. Yes, not that backdating is wrong, but you want to report it correctly, etcc, etcc, etcc. Al Gore. He's the man. He'll save the planet and help you stay out of jail.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Once you learn off the H&RBlock type people, you realise how easy it is. . .

We discovered that.

Quote:

When I was last in the US, they had a standard deduction amount, that helps you NOT have to itemize your deductions. That makes things hella easy.

We do it both ways. Sometimes our tax is lower using a standard deduction. We have things organized with lists, adding to the lists as the year goes by. At tax time we just add them up and fill in the blanks.

Quote:

It's keeping all the bloody tiny receipts that is the killer in doing taxes and stuff, not the actual filing, sometimes.

Our trick is keeping those lists, so we never have to look at the receipts again, once they are entered. Receipts go into the proverbial shoe box, never to see the light of day. Receipts are there for audit, which we've never had. After seven years we dump the receipts, except for permanent ones showing stock purchases, property purchases price, and so on.

• Reply 18 of 19
    mbaynhammbaynham Posts: 534member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trick fall View Post

CPA I could do it myself, but I'd rather rub shit through my hair.

dirty american... lol.. if you are from U S and A that is
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

There's definitely a story here. Not sure if we really want to hear it though.

Err...what are you talking about? I've been a model citizen when it comes to taxes!

http://finance.yahoo.com/taxes/artic...n-Tax-Cheaters