OK, ThirtySomethings...

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
First, go here and watch the video for Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse of the Heart."

Second, consider briefly whether or not videos like this might tell us something about our generation.

Third, WHY ARE THERE NINJAS?! (Of course, I know, ninjas are awesome).

Fourth, given the video's interpretive acumen in interpreting the metaphor "bright eyes" to mean "schoolboys with lightbulbs in there eye sockets," I'm just glad we didn't get a literal representation of a "total eclipse of the heart."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    lol you should post more when ur buzzed.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    I always hated that song.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    I think its quite obvious why the ninjas are in the video.

They are there because she needs them more tonight. More than ever. Together they will take it to the end of the night. She is always living in the dark.

.....forever starts tonight!
  • Reply 4 of 40
    Remember when they actually played videos on MTV?
  • Reply 5 of 40
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trailmaster308 View Post

I think its quite obvious why the ninjas are in the video.

They are there because she needs them more tonight. More than ever. Together they will take it to the end of the night. She is always living in the dark.

.....forever starts tonight!

That is true. We do know that she needs *something* tonight. But my problem is that if you are living in a powder-keg that's giving off sparks, are a combination of ninjas and boys with lightbulbs in their eyes REALLY the combination you want to add to the mix?
  • Reply 6 of 40
    Quote:

I don't remember that actually.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    Quote:

No...
  • Reply 8 of 40
    Um. So besides the horror film/nightmare/nuclear devastation theme, it also involves the corruption of light bulb-for-eyes minors by a terrible man-woman.

Are you trying to tell us that your generation (which is only separated from my generation by a presidency (in my case, Carter)) is really really fucked up? Like seriously fucked up, as in 'I see dead people with glowing eyes' fucked up. As in everything is a fucking nightmare lets make sure the world reflects our dreams... Go fuck yourselves, you selfish light bulbed bastards!
  • Reply 9 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

Are you trying to tell us that your generation (which is only separated from my generation by a presidency (in my case, Carter)) is really really fucked up? Like seriously fucked up, as in 'I see dead people with glowing eyes' fucked up. As in everything is a fucking nightmare lets make sure the world reflects our dreams... Go fuck yourselves, you selfish light bulbed bastards!

Yes. That is exactly what I am suggesting.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Believe it or not that video was actually filmed at my parent's house - I wasn't there at the time otherwise I would have intervened for the sake of humanity......

aren't you (nearly) too old for this thread?
  • Reply 11 of 40
    We've all been here for at least 5 yrs...

I do wonder sometimes how much longer we'll all post.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    I've seen the end of the Internet's. What else would I do besides add meaningless remarks and the occasional IT advice to an Apple board?

.....forever starts tonight.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Some of us remember when MTV had nothing to play BUT videos.

Anyone who is 30ish and grew up watching Sid & Marty Krofft has no ability to question inappropriate imagery on television because everything we watched growing up was clearly created by adults who were high as a kite.

I mean I loved the Bugaloos but the people who created were clearly enjoying some happy pills.

Nick
  • Reply 14 of 40
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Believe it or not that video was actually filmed at my parent's house - I wasn't there at the time otherwise I would have intervened for the sake of humanity......

Wow - nice house!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_Eclipse_of_the_Heart

The video was directed by Russell Mulcahy. It has apparently little to do with the song's lyrics; despite its surrealist nature, it is apparently meant to be taken seriously, and not as kitsch or some form of satire.... The meaning behind the video is that Tyler's character is fantasizing about her students, which is the reason for the numerous beefcake images. It so happens that last night's fantasies were, in fact real.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Hmmm....it was (is) a fundie indoctrination centre......nice architecture though. Several ghosts - I think the fundies scared them off after a while.....

Your fundie parents didn't have a problem with the video? Not only is it a sexy video, It seems to be a tribute to people like the super hot Ms. Lafave.

• Reply 16 of 40
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Some of us remember when MTV had nothing to play BUT videos.

Anyone who is 30ish and grew up watching Sid & Marty Krofft has no ability to question inappropriate imagery on television because everything we watched growing up was clearly created by adults who were high as a kite.

I mean I loved the Bugaloos but the people who created were clearly enjoying some happy pills.

Nick

Ah yes, MUSIC Television. NO, NO I don't remember watching 'Video Killed the Radio Star' the first night...nope! Not that old!

And you just had to bring up S&MK...!
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Quote:

They had to rent it out to film companies and such to get the money to renovate...they did a few others there and a film but I can't remember what..an episode of 'Poirot' also I think.

This is a pic of it

Waitaminute. A Welshman with a Roman name with fundie parents and who lives partly in Scotland and partly in Spain who sells Islamic art/rugs and does a PhD in Islamic studies. You are a world citizen, sego!
  • Reply 18 of 40
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    I remember when MTV started and killed off Friday Night Videos.

Some may notice that the video on You Tube came from MTV 2.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

everything we watched growing up was clearly created by adults who were high as a kite.

Three words: The Electric Company.

That's how most of us got introduced to Morgan Freeman, I imagine.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Four more words: Sid & Marty Krofft.

Seriously, did they do anything that *WASN'T* a complete drug trip??