Help me convince my PC friend

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    aflaaakaflaaak Posts: 210member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vox Barbara View Post

Yeah, actually that's another myth regarding upgradeability of PCs.

It is a huge selling point but in reality people don't upgrade. Except Gamers.

They like to upgrade the Vid-Card, if necessary.

(Though, based on sold Vid-Card in retail and games,

although impressive, it is a relatively small number, not to say

neglectable.)

I think that statement is a myth initself. I have an ancient Dell from 2000, running XP and doing fine. I'm noy a "geek", I just use it for the Internet, email, photo editing, word processing, Turbotax, and Quickbooks. I've never played a game on it, never will.

Things I have upgraded myself are RAM (who doesn't, and I know you can on iMacs), CD burner to DVD burner, added an extra 120GB HD, added USB2 and firewire cards. I still use my Sony 19" CRT monitor because it works great, but if it failed or I wanted to get a different monitor, it would be a piece of cake. The only way to get a Mac that allows you to change monitors is the Low End (Mac Mini, which is a dead end to upgrade anything else from what I've heard) and High End (Mac Pro, which is more than I want to spend for more than I need, but is the right configuration for future user upgrades).

I know it's been beaten to death, but for those of us who have plenty of space for a Tower, but don't want/need to shell out big bucks for the Pro, Apple is missing something. Adding a HD, Optical drive, TV Tuner, etc. via external boxes totally defeates the uncluttered idea of the iMac. Having said all that, barring the unlikely introduction of a Mid Tower in the next few months (after Leopard is released), I will buy either a new iMac, or stripped down Pro.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aflaaak View Post

I think that statement is a myth initself. I have an ancient Dell from 2000, running XP and doing fine. I'm noy a "geek", I just use it for the Internet, email, photo editing, word processing, Turbotax, and Quickbooks. I've never played a game on it, never will.

defeates the uncluttered idea of the iMac. Having said all that, barring the unlikely introduction of a Mid Tower in the next few months (after Leopard is released), I will buy either a new iMac, or stripped down Pro.

Hey don't get me wrong, i like what you're saying. I do agree thoroughly.

But i'd consider you (the way you eleborate your arguments and the sheer

fact you're lingering here on AI) as the exception, not the rule.

I'am talking about mainstream...
  • Reply 23 of 28
    to original poster:

How's busines? Don't let us in the dark.

What quaggy sponge he came up with today?8)
  • Reply 24 of 28
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Either way, i can't stand Car-logies anyways. Especially if someone casts in Subaru.

(Gives me the creeps.)

Heh, did some soccer mom in her Forester dust you? Sokay...those things turn in high 13 sec 1/4 mile times stock. Nice little sleepers. I've seen some time slips in the 12s but modded.

Vinea
  • Reply 25 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Heh, did some soccer mom in her Forester dust you? Sokay...those things turn in high 13 sec 1/4 mile times stock. Nice little sleepers. I've seen some time slips in the 12s but modded.

Vinea

pretty ... similar
  • Reply 26 of 28
    Quote:

to original poster:

How's busines? Don't let us in the dark.

What quaggy sponge he came up with today?8)

I haven't seen him yet this week. Hopefully tomorrow. I'll be anxious to hear the latest one.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 71cooper View Post

I haven't seen him yet this week. Hopefully tomorrow. I'll be anxious to hear the latest one.

Good. Me too.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    Quote:

Good. Me too.

Wow, almost a month since I left you hanging! Sorry about that! I found out that my wife is pregnant with our first and it's kind of taken priority.

My friend has been pretty good about keeping his Mac comments to himself lately. Nothing new since his dumb Subaru comparison. Maybe he's monitoring this thread?

Anyway, I'll keep this thread alive when he adds anything new. I hope he does, then I can ask him what his fascination with Mac's is. Secretly admires them maybe?