New Mac Pro due date?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    kukitokukito Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

Strange when I asked at the Apple store, the guy said they were the 667 MHz xeons not the 1333 ones.

Anyway to check this out? Specs page that I found didn't have anything about the MB architecture on it.

http://www.intel.com/products/processor/xeon/index.htm
  • Reply 22 of 62
    donebyleedonebylee Posts: 521member
    Interesting, I just noticed the complete specs tab on the Mac Pro page which does list that the xeons are 1.33 GHz, but then the memory is 667 MHz, I thought the frequencies were supposed to be the same.

Or is it that the matched pair together populate the 1.33 GHz FSB?
  • Reply 23 of 62
    Quote:

Interesting, I just noticed the complete specs tab on the Mac Pro page which does list that the xeons are 1.33 GHz, but then the memory is 667 MHz, I thought the frequencies were supposed to be the same.

It is the same (but it doesn't necessarily have to be). Since it's double-data-rate memory, 667 X 2 = 1334

Because the iMac and MacBook use a 667 MHz FSB, they don't take advantage of the increased bandwidth of DDR2 so you don't have to use pairs. But the integrated graphics in the edu iMac, MB and mini does take advantage of it.
  • Reply 24 of 62
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kukito View Post

Xeons. But not all Xeons are Woodcrest. Like this one, which is a Conroe with an LGA 775 socket and a 1066 MHz FSB. They are identical to the Core 2 Duo desktop parts but from a higher bin, thus the slightly higher price. I always thought Apple might use these for a smaller, single socket Mac Pro.

That's the part referred to in the Inquirer article. The Xenon 3060 is the 'new' Xenon with the slower fsb and less cache. Again why would these go in new Mac Pros? At best they give similar performance to current woodcrest Xenons.
  • Reply 25 of 62
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:

Xeons. But not all Xeons are Woodcrest. Like this one, which is a Conroe with an LGA 775 socket and a 1066 MHz FSB. They are identical to the Core 2 Duo desktop parts but from a higher bin, thus the slightly higher price. I always thought Apple might use these for a smaller, single socket Mac Pro.

Remember the simple days when each year to year and a half, we looked forward to a new processor? And in between them, we'd get one or two sizziling 0.xGHz speed bumps.

With Intel, I have to actually do work in order to keep track of their processors.

Who misses those simpler days?

- Mark
  • Reply 26 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

That's the part referred to in the Inquirer article. The Xenon 3060 is the 'new' Xenon with the slower fsb and less cache. Again why would these go in new Mac Pros? At best they give similar performance to current woodcrest Xenons.

It's Xeon, not Xenon.

The Xeon I linked to would give worse performance than Woodcrest since it's only designed for single socket systems. They're the exact same chip as the "regular" desktop C2D, the E6000 series (not used in any Mac), but from a high bin. I just expressed my wish that Apple would introduce a cheaper, single socket Mac Pro in addition to the dual socket one. I wasn't suggesting that they should replace Woodcrest with these, since that would be impossible. I don't know which Inquirer article you're referring to, but this one is not talking about Xeons but new Conroe/Allendale desktop CD2s for 3Q 07. But Intel is very ridiculous about how they market these chips so I don't blame you one bit for the confusion. Intel will probably make Xeon branded chips using these very same CPUs (but from high bins).
  • Reply 27 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

Remember the simple days when each year to year and a half, we looked forward to a new processor? And in between them, we'd get one or two sizziling 0.xGHz speed bumps.

With Intel, I have to actually do work in order to keep track of their processors.

Who misses those simpler days?

- Mark

Intel is going on a rampage that has everybody nervous about the possible demise of AMD. Did you see those ridiculously low prices for Q3? And the price cuts in April? link The Core 2 Quad Q6600 is going down to US$530. Hopefully Apple will take advantage of these bargains even though so far they've ignored Conroe and Kentsfield. The octo Mac will come, but why can't we get a smaller, single socket dual or quad core desktop based on Conroe/Kentsfield?
  • Reply 28 of 62
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

It's Xeon, not Xenon.

The Xeon I linked to would give worse performance than Woodcrest since it's only designed for single socket systems. They're the exact same chip as the "regular" desktop C2D, the E6000 series (not used in any Mac), but from a high bin. I just expressed my wish that Apple would introduce a cheaper, single socket Mac Pro in addition to the dual socket one. I wasn't suggesting that they should replace Woodcrest with these, since that would be impossible. I don't know which Inquirer article you're referring to, but this one is not talking about Xeons but new Conroe/Allendale desktop CD2s for 3Q 07. But Intel is very ridiculous about how they market these chips so I don't blame you one bit for the confusion. Intel will probably make Xeon branded chips using these very same CPUs (but from high bins).

My reply was in reference to donebylee's post #16. He thought these new xeon (sorry about the mis-spelling earlier) chips might go in new Mac Pros. I find this unlikely.
  • Reply 29 of 62
    Quote:

It's Xeon, not Xenon.

I seem to remember a pinball game called Xenon.
  • Reply 30 of 62
    If they're not out at NAB you can bet your bottom dollar they'll be out at WWDC. I wouldn't be surprised if WWDC became their yearly window for revamping the Mac Pro.
  • Reply 31 of 62
    Quote:

I seem to remember a pinball game called Xenon.

TRY TUBE SHOT!
  • Reply 32 of 62
    jaddiejaddie Posts: 110member
    Dear Friends

I don't have any doubt that the new Mac Pros will be announced at the National Association of Broadcasters tradeshow and convention on April 15. Adobe is announcing its new Intel-optimized Creative Suite 3 on March 27, and April 15 is the next big announcement day for Apple. Both Apple and Adobe have cited in their respective SEC filings pent-up demand for new Mac Pros as a result of professional users waiting for the release of Creative Suite 3. So, revised Mac Pros are definitely going to be announced on April 15. When they'll ship is another thing to ponder.

What are the chances that the new Mac Pro, when configured with the fastest-available processor, will come with a minimum of 2GB of memory?

Is Intel going to have a 3GHz quad-core processor available by the time the new Mac Pros ship?

Further, Hitachi announced that it will ship 1TB hard disk drives in the first calendar quarter of this year, which ends, of course, on the last day of this month. What do you think the chances are that 1TB hard disk drives will actually be available by the time the new Mac Pros ship?

Sincerely,

Jaddie
  • Reply 33 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jaddie View Post

Is Intel going to have a 3GHz quad-core processor available by the time the new Mac Pros ship?

Hello Jaddie. According to HKEPC, Intel will release such a beast, the QX6800, in the third quarter. This is a single-socket Kentsfield but there should be a Clovertown counterpart as well, possibly even sooner. We should know more by April 17-18 during the IDF in Beijing.
  • Reply 34 of 62
    There is a story over at MacRumors that Apple UK as prematurely specified the arrival of 8-core Mac Pros.
  • Reply 35 of 62
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carson O'Genic View Post

There is a story over at MacRumors that Apple UK as prematurely specified the arrival of 8-core Mac Pros.

Excellent!

• Reply 36 of 62
    I'll be buying a new MacPro as soon as the new systems are shipping (hopefully 8 core).

I'm wondering about the safety of my RAM investment. Currently 8GB of good quality 3rd party RAM is about $1,200.

The current RAM spec for the MacPro is for DDR2 667MHz ECC PC5300 240 Pin. How likely is it that this spec will stay for the same for the foreseeable Intel roadmap?
  • Reply 37 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mlondon View Post

I'll be buying a new MacPro as soon as the new systems are shipping (hopefully 8 core).

I'm wondering about the safety of my RAM investment. Currently 8GB of good quality 3rd party RAM is about $1,200.

The current RAM spec for the MacPro is for DDR2 667MHz ECC PC5300 240 Pin. How likely is it that this spec will stay for the same for the foreseeable Intel roadmap?

I personally hope it does get a speed bump up to 800MHz, but even if it does you should still be able to use your RAM at its slower speed.
  • Reply 38 of 62
    jaddiejaddie Posts: 110member
    Dear Friends

I don't know whether it's more proper to start a new thread to ask this question or if I'm hijacking this thread by asking it here, so please forgive me.

Does Intel's forthcoming Bearlake chipset sound like anything that may appear in the new Mac Pros that will be announced on or before Sunday, April 15?

Sincerely,

Jaddie
  • Reply 39 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jaddie View Post

Dear Friends

I don't know whether it's more proper to start a new thread to ask this question or if I'm hijacking this thread by asking it here, so please forgive me.

Does Intel's forthcoming Bearlake chipset sound like anything that may appear in the new Mac Pros that will be announced on or before Sunday, April 15?

Sincerely,

Jaddie

I think you are assuming some things here that may or may not be true: specifically that there is a Mac Pro announcement on or before April 15th.

Unless you have something to share with us?????

• Reply 40 of 62
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I think you are assuming some things here that may or may not be true: specifically that there is a Mac Pro announcement on or before April 15th.

Unless you have something to share with us?????

It is assuming a lot. I don't see how Bearlake would be used in a Mac Pro either. For Apple's sake, I hope the Mac Pro will be updated then or before then.