MacBook (spring 2007) predictions: your call

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I know predictions have already made the rounds, but it might be nice to consolidate them in one thread as we get closer to the (likely) launch window.

I'll start with my own. I see Apple starting to treat the MacBook line more as it does the iMac, i.e. that you can't just offer one basic size and feature set. I don't expect four different models, but I can imagine Apple using the rumored <a href="http://www.electronista.com/articles/07/02/15/15.inch.macbooks.enroute/">15-inch MacBook</a> to create an obvious difference between price grades. We can probably assume that Santa Rosa-based Core 2 Duos and newer graphics are likely to make the rounds no matter what. My guesses:

13-inch: Combo Drive

- 1.8GHz Core 2 Duo (800MHz bus)

- 1GB of RAM

- Combo Drive

- 80GB hard drive

- Intel X3000 integrated graphics

- $999

13-inch: Superdrive

- 2GHz Core 2 Duo (800MHz bus)

- 1GB of RAM

- 8X Superdrive dual-layer

- 120GB hard drive

- Intel X3000 graphics

- $1299

15-inch: Superdrive

- 1GB of RAM

- 160GB hard drive

- 128MB AMD Mobility Radeon X2300 graphics

- $1499

I'll bet I'm going to be wrong about something, but to me this makes sense: Apple would probably like to hit the magic $1000 mark, so they keep a lower-cost model (note that it should still be faster than the current model on the balance); they need a middle model to get the largest amount of people; and the 15-inch serves as a lower-cost desktop replacement. It's hard to see Apple going for a 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo when the official end of the Santa Rosa chips will be 2.4GHz the (2.6/2.8GHz Extreme models are only rumored so far).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I don't have time to make a full post now, but I can tell you that I don't expect Apple to ever include anything more than integrated graphics in the MacBook line. Also, I think your specs are very optomistic, for example:

Quote:

15-inch: Superdrive

- 1GB of RAM

- 160GB hard drive

- 128MB AMD Mobility Radeon X2300 graphics

- $1499

Right now, Apple's 15" 2.16 GHz MacBook Pro has:

- 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo

- 1 GB of RAM

- 6x SuperDrive Dual Layer

- 120GB Hard Drive

- 128 MB ATI Mobility Radeon X1600

- $1999

So for $500 less, you get the same size screen, a processor that's only 160 MHz slower, an equal amount of RAM, a larger Hard Drive, a better optical drive, and even though the X2300 is supposed to be a lower end graphics card, I don't think it will differ that much from the X1600 in performance. It's just way too optomistic in my opinion. If the price was $1799, I might see it happening but that's really when you're getting into MacBook Pro range anyway.

To see that much of an increase to the MacBook line at those price points, I think we'd need to see the following in the MacBook Pro line:

2.6 GHz -2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Merom Extreme Editions across the line

1-2GB of RAM across the line (4GB Max, up from 3GB)

Some kind of solid state memory hard drive

A High Definition Optical Drive option (Blu-Ray or HD-DVD possibly)

A True High Definition display (supports 1080p or 1920x1080)

Graphics cards with 256MB or 512MB of VRAM

A possible case redesign

Possibly a way to use the iPhone as a cell modem

I'm not saying that your predictions aren't out of the realm of possibility, but it would take a major boost in the MacBook Pro line to make that high end MacBook possible.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Macbooks will always have intergrated graphics, IMO.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    tonyd007tonyd007 Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Macbooks will always have intergrated graphics, IMO.

I agree
  • Reply 4 of 19
    People need to realize that IG will approach the performance of dedicated graphics (low end cards) faster than dedicated graphics will approach the cost of IG.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    tonyd007tonyd007 Posts: 36member
    True HD Display would KICK ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 512 MB VRAM would rock too. X2300 is my prediction. I seriously CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 6 of 19
    I think those specs look about right.

Think the hard disk will be upgradable to 180 or 200GB, and I think the updated mac minis will boast very similar specs to that.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    I think you went too far in the other direction -- why would Apple go from hovering around 160-200MHz between the mainstream and pro lines and suddenly jump to a massive 600MHz gap? With optical drives that cost several hundred dollars all by themselves? I don't think you're quite aware of component pricing.

Besides, it's not like the MacBook Pro has to either become a supercomputer or else stay perfectly still. I'd guess the base MacBook Pro would resemble this:

- 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo (800MHz bus)

- 1GB of RAM (could be 2GB)

- 160GB hard drive

- 256MB Mobility Radeon X2600 graphics

... and possibly a higher-resolution display (1680x1050) if Leopard ships at the same time.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fran441 View Post

I don't have time to make a full post now, but I can tell you that I don't expect Apple to ever include anything more than integrated graphics in the MacBook line. Also, I think your specs are very optimistic, for example:

*snip*

2.6 GHz -2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Merom Extreme Editions across the line

1-2GB of RAM across the line (4GB Max, up from 3GB)

Some kind of solid state memory hard drive

A High Definition Optical Drive option (Blu-Ray or HD-DVD possibly)

A True High Definition display (supports 1080p or 1920x1080)

Graphics cards with 256MB or 512MB of VRAM

A possible case redesign

Possibly a way to use the iPhone as a cell modem

I'm not saying that your predictions aren't out of the realm of possibility, but it would take a major boost in the MacBook Pro line to make that high end MacBook possible.

• Reply 8 of 19
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Quote:

I think you went too far in the other direction -- why would Apple go from hovering around 160-200MHz between the mainstream and pro lines and suddenly jump to a massive 600MHz gap? With optical drives that cost several hundred dollars all by themselves? I don't think you're quite aware of component pricing.

Besides, it's not like the MacBook Pro has to either become a supercomputer or else stay perfectly still.

I still think you're too optomistic. You're talking about putting out a MacBook that's basically the current MacBook Pro only $500 cheaper, with a the same screen size, a larger hard drive, and an optical drive that's only currently available in the top of the line MacBook Pro. As much as I dislike integrated graphics, I still think that's all we're going to see in the MacBooks and Mac Minis.

My point, which I probably wasn't clear on, was that the MacBook Pros would need a very significant bump to set them apart from the MacBooks. Right now, the big difference that most people will see when looking at the MacBook vs. the MacBook Pro is the screen size and the integrated graphics/graphics card. Take those differences away, and the MacBook Pro needs something to set itself aside, whether it's a different optical drive or a much faster processor. Just my 2 cents.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    Again, the MacBook Pro wouldn't stay still. Remember, the current $1499 MacBook has the same 120GB hard drive as its Pro equivalent. If the base MBP gets a larger drive, there's nothing wrong with the high-end MacBook getting the same drive. And 15.4-inch screens aren't that expensive -- especially not if Apple decides just to launch a 1280x800 screen instead (though I would rather have a 1440x900 screen with the 15-inch MBP getting 1680x1050).

Also, the choice of optical drive hasn't been specified by cost here. The only reason the 15" MacBook Pros and MacBooks have 6X drives is because the enclosure is too thin and small to fit an 8X drive (at the time of the update). Remember, the 15" PowerBook G4 had an 8X dual-layer drive for at least a couple of revisions!

I think dedicated graphics can work, but the key is to make a clear separation between the performance in one model and another.

Also, being an English grad, I have to say this: it's optimistic.

Quote:

I still think you're too optomistic. You're talking about putting out a MacBook that's basically the current MacBook Pro only $500 cheaper, with a the same screen size, a larger hard drive, and an optical drive that's only currently available in the top of the line MacBook Pro. As much as I dislike integrated graphics, I still think that's all we're going to see in the MacBooks and Mac Minis.

My point, which I probably wasn't clear on, was that the MacBook Pros would need a very significant bump to set them apart from the MacBooks. Right now, the big difference that most people will see when looking at the MacBook vs. the MacBook Pro is the screen size and the integrated graphics/graphics card. Take those differences away, and the MacBook Pro needs something to set itself aside, whether it's a different optical drive or a much faster processor. Just my 2 cents.

• Reply 10 of 19
    I would really love to see a 14" MacBook with 1440 X 900. The only thing that really bugs me about the MacBooks is the 1280 X 800 resolution. If Apple were to upgrade the MacBook Pro's resolution then I think a 14" Macbook would be plausible. In my opinion, Apple would not bother to make a 15" MacBook because that would be too easily confused with the 15" MacBook Pro.

The resolution of the screen is a real issue with me because I do a lot of Photoshop, etc. work and 1280 X 800 is really quite small for that. But, if I need to I plenty willing to use Photoshop on a MacBook.

1280 X 800 actually sounds really nice though compared to my clamshell iBook (not for Photoshop) with 800 X 600. And I thought 1024 X768 was bad...

Tedrick
  • Reply 11 of 19
    elderlocelderloc Posts: 146member
    I predict Apple will release something soon, most will be happy for a few weeks, after that everyone will be dissapointed and say its not enough. Today was the last day I could have taken my 17" MBP back, since I did not I can promise something new will come out for sure soon vey soon and I will be pissed but what can you do?

I also believe the entry level macbook will stay wth the onboard intel chips. It would be nice to see a better video card and higher rsolution display on the 17.

It would be nice if they went with some kind of 1x PCI upgrade slot for Video but don't think that will happen.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    I think we're probably going to start seeing the updates in April so that every product has been given an overhaul in anticipation for Leopard.

I doubt the MacBook will ever have more than integrated graphics, simply because they want a very defined line between the MacBook and the MacBook Pro, and if they start whacking dedicated graphics into the MacBook, too many people will notice that there's no real reason to upgrade to the pro model. And that video card is a strong selling point for the MacBook Pro.

Edit: Oh, and hi, I'm new here.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    rem#1rem#1 Posts: 67member
    I think that what we will get is a MacBook the is about the same as the present MacBook Pro with the addition of the newer included graphics using the 965 chip set.

The major change will be in the MacBook Pro.

Better graphics

LED backlight for the screen

CPU's that have more L2 cache

Faster frontside bus

possibly some kind of Flash memory

Redesigned case

This allows Apple to leverage their development cost
  • Reply 14 of 19
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by REM#1 View Post

The major change will be in the MacBook Pro.

Better graphics

LED backlight for the screen

CPU's that have more L2 cache

Faster frontside bus

possibly some kind of Flash memory

Redesigned case

I agree. Magnet latch, new keybaord, LED backlight and Santa Rosa would get me on board the MacBook Pro bandwagon.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Get on board anyway, it's a great ride.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Ok guys,

Hasn't it been made clear that the next MB and MBP revisions will use Santa Rosa? Another thing, notice that the physical attributes (casing, etc.) of the MB and MBP are not much different...so if MBP gets a maglatch, so will the MB. And LED tech should be found in both too, or neither. Apple is going to hire one manufacturer to pump out a bunch of LED screens of varying sizes, 12 inch wide screen to 17 inches, but its the same factory and it'll be cheaper to produce all LED screens than to produce a mixture of some LED and some old. This is especially supported if they end up making a 15" MB and a 15" MBP....they would both have the exactly same screen in them, high def or LED or whatever. Thats how manufacturing and economies of scale work.

It sounds like the consensus is that these will really come out in April? Given all those possible changes to casing and to computing (PS: When will Santa Rosa be ready for shipment to Apple's manufacturer, anyways?) if we get the MB and MBP revisions that we really want, they won't come until june or july. And don't for one second believe that Apple will make such a heavy revision to its most popular computers without including Leopard. Leopard isn't due in April, is it?

So wait for a MB, because they'll be cool as SH!T. There def will be a difference between MB and MBP though....Apple won't cannibalize itself. They'll give a reason for photo majors and Pixar employees to get the pro, but the MB will do what you want after this revision.

Comments? Sorry about the wordiness. Go Bucks!
  • Reply 17 of 19
    elderlocelderloc Posts: 146member
    Hmm maybe a Red Macbook.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:

I'm actually waiting for a Macbook Pro (after Leopord/update) b/c I think the border around the screen on the Macbooks is too thick and annoying. I'd really like to see some innovation that'll help set the Macbook Pro apart from every other computer... maybe like NO KEYBOARD! and fully voice-controlled. something along those lines.

I think right now the gap between the Macbook Pro and Macbook (for processors) is too close, but I can't stand the Macbook enough to spend less money . I'd really hope to see THAT big of a difference (maybe a little less, 2.4)

Really it comes down to styling for some ppl like me