It's awfully quiet...

Comments

• Reply 61 of 112
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Did you see Murch's post? The longer we go without hardware upgrades, the more likely we are to see some new added hardware functionality. Maybe Murch is right and a new chip will be added to all Macs to encode and decode HD video. Somethings up, an idiot could upgrade the mini to core 2. It's a drop in replacement.

I finally read the topic. Interesting, indeed. I believe that we won't see new hardware until Apple gets their AppleTV out the door and shipping to customers that ordered one. That has seemed to be Apple's modus operandi in the past: don't announce new hardware until the stuff you have already announced is shipping. The iPhone is probably going to be the only exception to this rule. I've gotta tell you, too, I am waiting for 10.4.9. I have some new images I would like to roll out at work, and this is the update that I am waiting for to take the school right through the end of the year (end of June).
  • Reply 62 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by troberts View Post

I think the next MacPro (processor) update will not happen until the "true" quad-core processors are available and Leopard comes pre-installed. The current quad-core processors are two dual-core processors on a single die that share (I believe) one connection to the chipset/motherboard. The "true" quad-core processors will have each core getting its own connection.

I think the iMac will always be using the same mobile processor as the MacBook Pro so the iMac will not see quad-core until the MacBook Pro gets one.

or when intel new exon chipset is out with more pci-e lanes and maybe sli and cross fire support.
  • Reply 63 of 112
    that was awful specific, rongold. almost like you know something. and given the slip-up on the uk site, i'm now convinced apple will update its lineup today.
  • Reply 64 of 112
    rongoldrongold Posts: 302member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gdconway View Post

that was awful specific, rongold. almost like you know something. and given the slip-up on the uk site, i'm now convinced apple will update its lineup today.

Sorry for the disappointment. I did not anticipate Apple continuing to release updates into this week. I had figured the onslaught was over. That is why I picked the 13th. Now it is looking like new hardware will not be released until the 20th with the release of 3 additional software updates today.
  • Reply 65 of 112
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

The question is not whether they like the MacBook better, the question is do they like the 15" screen badly enough to shell out the extra $550. From what I hear and read a lot of people do bite the bullet and spend extra - even though they'd be more than happy with the other features of the MacBook.

But that's exactly Apple's strategy. This is deliberate. To extort more money out of customers. On top of that margins on the MacBook Pros are better too.

So even though customers want a MacBook with a bigger screen, and even if it seems like a no-brainer to you - Apple is in no hurry to release such a product. In fact, it's better for them if they don't. They're not losing the MacBook sales (as most people who don't want to shell out the $550 extra still buy a MacBook rather than a Windows notebook), but they would lose the higher margin sales of those people who do shell out more money and go for the MacBook Pro.

IMHO only if there is another compelling reason for people to upgrade to a MacBook Pro will Apple release a 15" MacBook. One such reason could be a true 1080p HD crisp hi-res multitouch screen on the MacBook Pro (using resolution independence) vs. a normal, current resolution screen on the plain MacBook.

No the question is more like is OSX enough of an upgrade to warrant either a smaller screen or should they just buy from HP, gateway, or Toshiba instead.
  • Reply 66 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kukito View Post

Apparently Apple is getting ready to release a 15" MacBook. The difference between it and the MBP could be lower resolution (1280x800 or so), IGP and a larger plastic enclosure. Apple sells a lot of machines to aging boomers and the 13.3" screen is too small for them. Something in the same price range of the current MB and hopefully weighing ≤ 6 lbs would be great. But I'd rather wait for Santa Rosa when the GMA X3000 comes out. By then Apple could upgrade the GPU of the MBP to the the Mobility X1900, Go 7950 or similar to further differentiate it from the MB.

They could, but adding a half an inch of thickness and about two pounds would be required to cool those mobile monsters. If apple is going to stay thin and a light, anything more than midrange is out of the question.
  • Reply 67 of 112
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Another tuesday passes by ... almost two and half months, what is holding all this? leopard? HD encoding?
  • Reply 68 of 112
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam View Post

Another tuesday passes by ... almost two and half months, what is holding all this? leopard? HD encoding?

I don't know. All I am hearing from Apple is crickets lately...show us something ANYTHING. I am pleased to get 10.4.9, but I am looking to buy a new piece of hardware other than an AppleTV or Airport Extreme Base Station....
  • Reply 69 of 112
    No new releases = more money in our wallets
  • Reply 70 of 112
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applebook View Post

No new releases = more money in our wallets

Until Apple says otherwise. 8)

Sebastian
  • Reply 71 of 112
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

It's awfully quiet...

It sure is... and it is already April. And despite the last rumor, I don't believe that we will see new Mac Pro's today.
  • Reply 72 of 112
    It is quiet.

Obviously, product launches are relatively imminent.

ie the whole line.

In the next 3 months.

Could be highly dependent on Leopard.

If Leopard's the revolution the secret features are promising...then the hardware/OS will be well worth the wait.

I don't think about buying until the dust settles.

Congratulations to my cousin who gave up the idea of being another Acer laptop user for 600 pounds and went for the 900 pound Macbook instead.

He's very happy.

For me? The wait goes on. And to be honest? By the time Leopard and new machines come out? You may as well wait for the Leopard .1.2 and .3 patches and for Penryn...?

Lemon Bon Bon (Waiting ever so patiently for the Mac of his dreams. Now 7 years and counting...)
  • Reply 73 of 112
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    So it's not just me thats thinking "Throw us a bone, Steve!" ??

Right now I'd like to see anything, hardware wise. But after such a long wait since the last Mac update, I'd expect the new stuff to be really good!
  • Reply 74 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Lemon Bon Bon (Waiting ever so patiently for the Mac of his dreams. Now 7 years and counting...)

Are you the old Lemon Bon Bon? Your way of writing tells me so. What happened to your membership?
  • Reply 75 of 112
    The sad thing about this is not only does this remind me of the gaps G4 days, Apple has the chips to use if they want. They're just going moving on their own schedule.
  • Reply 76 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

The sad thing about this is not only does this remind me of the gaps G4 days, Apple has the chips to use if they want.

So, when did this happen again in the past? I have no memory of something similar.
  • Reply 77 of 112
    I don't think we'll see anything except perhaps speed bumps across the line.

This quarter seems to be all about getting iTV and iPhone out there.

We won't see a video iPod till iPhone's established and we wont see any major new hardware until Leopard.

New iMac and perhaps powerbooks by the end of the year though???
  • Reply 78 of 112
    jaddiejaddie Posts: 110member
    Dear AJ & Friends

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajprice View Post

So it's not just me thats thinking "Throw us a bone, Steve!" ?

I think Steve or his minions may have thrown us a bone with those little Web site slip-ups that referred to the unannounced Mac Pros featuring dual quad-core processors.

I believe I'd rather get the new Mac Pro announcement on Sunday, April 15. I believe there's greater likelihood of updated displays being introduced alongside new Mac Pros if the announcement is held off until that time. If we see new Mac Pros today, I believe there's less likelihood that we'll see new displays on April 15.

Sincerely,

Jaddie
  • Reply 79 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jaddie View Post

If we see new Mac Pros today...

Quite unlikely now. By this time, the european stores should be down. There remains a slight chance for updates in the next one hour or so, but I would say no.
  • Reply 80 of 112
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jaddie View Post

Dear AJ & Friends

I think Steve or his minions may have thrown us a bone with those little Web site slip-ups that referred to the unannounced Mac Pros featuring dual quad-core processors.

I believe I'd rather get the new Mac Pro announcement on Sunday, April 15. I believe there's greater likelihood of updated displays being introduced alongside new Mac Pros if the announcement is held off until that time. If we see new Mac Pros today, I believe there's less likelihood that we'll see new displays on April 15.

Sincerely,

Jaddie

Being NAB it could just be an FCP and Motion update but I do hope for two quad core processors in a Mac Pro.

Along with some new Video cards and hopefully better video card usability. I'm not sure if it would be done in hardware or software, but the ability for a Mac to use either BIOS or EFI would be the best option, and upgrade, they could have. That would give the Mac and MacOS the prestige of being the only platform that can run the newer EFI cards, and also give it the ability to have the wider range of BIOS cards available to it as well. That would be a big selling kudos for the Mac platform this year.

As long as there is a free upgrade to Leopard I'll buy a Mac Pro the day they are released, but that will depend a lot on what they have done with the video cards this year.

It's always seemed that the Mac is many steps behind in video cards, but to have both EFI and BIOS would totally turn the tables and actually give Apple the Advantage. And that would be a lasting advantage because VIsta doesn't do EFI.