Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.9 Update

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Mac OS X 10.4.9 (intel) weighs in at 99.4 MB.

Here's some info:

"The 10.4.9 Update is recommended for PowerPC and Intel-based Mac computers currently running Mac OS X Tiger version 10.4.8 and includes general operating system fixes, as well as specific fixes or compatibility updates for the following applications and technologies:

- RAW camera support

- Handling of large or malformed images that could cause crashes

- Image capture performance

- Mouse scrolling and keyboard shortcuts

- Font handling

- Playback quality, and bookmarks in DVD Player

- USB video conferencing cameras for use with iChat

- Bluetooth devices

- Browsing AFP servers

- Apple USB Modem

- Windows-created digital certificates

- Open and Print dialogs in applications that use Rosetta on Intel-based Macs

- Time zone and daylight saving for 2006 and 2007

- Security updates

For detailed information on this Update, please visit this website: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n304821.

For detailed information on Security Updates, please visit this website: http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n61798.";

If I had to call it now, I'd say we're looking at mid April Leopard release.

Also iPhoto 6 update too, it's 6.0.6 and 7.3 MB.

"This update to iPhoto addresses issues associated with EXIF data compatibility and Photocasting."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 112
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Wow, quick on the draw there!

Downloading, but waiting for others to take the leap.

('though at this point of 10.4.x, deadly updates are unlikely).
  • Reply 2 of 112
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Combo updaters: PPC and Intel
  • Reply 3 of 112
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    Apple on Tuesday released Mac OS X 10.4.9, a recommended update for all PowerPC and Intel-based Mac computers currently running versions of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.

Mac OS X 10.4.9 Client

The company said Mac OS X 10.4.9 includes general operating system fixes, as well as specific fixes or compatibility updates for the following applications and technologies:

RAW camera supportHandling of large or malformed images that could cause crashesImage capture performanceMouse scrolling and keyboard shortcutsFont handlingPlayback quality, and bookmarks in DVD PlayerUSB video conferencing cameras for use with iChatBluetooth devicesBrowsing AFP serversApple USB ModemWindows-created digital certificatesOpen and Print dialogs in applications that use Rosetta on Intel-based MacsTime zone and daylight saving for 2006 and 2007 Security updates

The update is available for download through the Software Update mechanism located under the Apple menu on computers running Mac OS X. It's also available direct from Apple's website in the form of a 72MB download for PowerPC-based Macs running Mac OS X 10.4.8 and a 160MB download for Intel-based Macs running Mac OS X 10.4.8.

Mac systems running older versions of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger can grab heftier combo updaters for both PowerPC (163MB) and Intel Macs (310MB).

Mac OS X 10.4.9 Server

Along with the Mac OS X 10.4.9 Client release, Apple on Tuesday also released Mac OS X 10.4.9 Server. The update is recommended for all Apple servers running versions Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger and includes fixes for the operating system and various applications, services and technologies, including:

avoiding AFP connection errors when authenticating Active Directory users who are members of lots of groupspreventing SMB/CIFS server deadlocks and service interruptionsauthenticating Windows clients when bound to Active Directorycopying read-only files to AFP shares on Xsan and UFS volumescopying files with extended attributes from an AFP share of an Xsan volumepreventing NFS server hangs at shutdownprinting too many copies of a document when using the print serverusing Open Directory authentication when using Ethernet Link Aggregationbetter TCP performance with Windows clients and serversusing rsync to copy files with extended attributescreating and managing VLANs from the command-linetime zone and daylight saving time changes for 2007compatibility with third party applications and devicesprevious standalone security updates

The server update is available as a 127MB download for PowerPC-based Mac servers running Mac OS X Server 10.4.8 and as a 249MB Universal download for both PowerPC and Intel Mac servers running Mac OS X Server 10.4.8.

Again, Apple also provides larger combo updaters for Mac servers running an earlier version of Mac OS X 10.4 Server. The PowerPC Combo updater weighs in as a 216MB download and the Universal version as a 350MB download.
  • Reply 4 of 112
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Back up no probs. iPhoto 6 and the OS are fine. Unmounting iDisk is noticeably faster now.
  • Reply 5 of 112
    fraklincfraklinc Posts: 244member
    10.4.9 release you know what that means ? it means you will see apple taking orders for leopard within a week, 2 tops http://forums.appleinsider.com/images/smilies/1wink.gif
  • Reply 6 of 112
    corkurkcorkurk Posts: 90member
    I wonder if this will take care of the problem of some MacBook Pros not going to sleep properly as discussed in this thread:

http://forums.macnn.com/69/powerbook...g-sleep-needs/

Seems like there are quite a few people with this happening. Starting a couple of weeks ago, when I close the lid the computer doesn't actually go to sleep. I would open it up to find the palmrests really hot and the battery drained. I've been using the apple menu to put it to sleep before I close it and that works, but I'd really like an official fix for this. Anyone else on AI with a MBP having these problems?

Maybe 10.4.9 will take care of it.

Crosses fingers, crosses self and hits "download"...

here we go!
  • Reply 7 of 112
    willrobwillrob Posts: 203member
    The stock Nividia graphics card in the Mac Pro will now rotate for those with Dell or other rotating monitors. Check the new System Prefs>Display button.
  • Reply 8 of 112
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I'm on Intel, and my updater is 99 MB. (I was fully up-to-date previously.)
  • Reply 9 of 112
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I'll wait until any initial problems have been identified... then I'll wait another week after that...
  • Reply 10 of 112
    i can smell leopard brewing
  • Reply 11 of 112
    mehdimehdi Posts: 42member
    Updated the Mac Pro and have been using it for a while... no issues so far!
  • Reply 12 of 112
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    "Software Update mechanism"? LOL, a cotton gin has a mechanism. Not software.
  • Reply 13 of 112
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sCreeD View Post

Downloading, but waiting for others to take the leap.

('though at this point of 10.4.x, deadly updates are unlikely).

It makes sense to have a backup anyway. With good software and regular backups, It only takes a few minutes to update a backup.
  • Reply 14 of 112
    MacUpdate are advertising the end of March.

Pre-order Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard" from Amazon.com. It's shipping at the end of this month (March). Amazon usually ships it to arrive faster than if you buy from the Apple Store. Get it faster!
  • Reply 15 of 112
    trans9btrans9b Posts: 97member
    But does it break one's hacked copy of front row?
  • Reply 16 of 112
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonparadise View Post

MacUpdate are advertising the end of March.

Pre-order Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard" from Amazon.com. It's shipping at the end of this month (March). Amazon usually ships it to arrive faster than if you buy from the Apple Store. Get it faster!

I don't know where you see that MacUpdate are advertising the end of March but no where on Amazons site do they mention they are taking pre-orders: http://www.amazon.com/Mac-OS-Version...3823306&sr=8-1
  • Reply 17 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

I don't know where you see that MacUpdate are advertising the end of March but no where on Amazons site do they mention they are taking pre-orders: http://www.amazon.com/Mac-OS-Version...3823306&sr=8-1

If you go to the 10.3.9 Macupdate page, at the top there is a little paragraph that leads you to Amazon.

Haven't a clue if it's true, or just them trying to get commission.
  • Reply 18 of 112
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    I just installed the update, from the combo installer, on my dual 2 GHz G5 with 10.4.8. The computer rebooted itself (two startups) and the restart was **very** long. Very annoying, but apparently there's isn't any problem yet.
  • Reply 19 of 112
    sirromsirrom Posts: 32member
    To any of you intrepid upgraders out there:

If you have upgraded the Airport card in a MacBook (Core Duo) with the MacPro "n" card AND installed this 10.4.9 OS update, do you still retain the "n" functionality? There was a single report by an ADC member on another site a couple of weeks ago that installed the BETA 10.4.9 and said that he lost the "n" functionality.

Before I upgrade, I want to make sure this was either an anomoly or something related to it still being in BETA.

Anyone with this specific situation taken the plunge yet? Please provide feedback when you have it.
  • Reply 20 of 112
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kali View Post

I just installed the update, from the combo installer, on my dual 2 GHz G5 with 10.4.8. The computer rebooted itself (two startups) and the restart was **very** long. Very annoying, but apparently there's isn't any problem yet.

What is it with people complaining about slow bootups after an update (it seems like I see this all the time)? A good hunk of the update is being installed during the reboot process, replacing files that otherwise can't be updated. Therefore, the reboot takes a while.

The only real problem would be if the reboot slowness hangs around after the first time. But, then, who reboots that often to care?