play songs in itunes without import

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Can anyone tell me how I can play a folder that I have with MP3's without importing them into itunes. The idea behind this is to get rid of the songs I do not want before I officially import them into my itunes Library. This would make keeping it organized alot easier.

thanks

DD

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dage007 View Post

Can anyone tell me how I can play a folder that I have with MP3's without importing them into itunes. The idea behind this is to get rid of the songs I do not want before I officially import them into my itunes Library. This would make keeping it organized alot easier.

thanks

DD

Right Click/Ctrl+Click and select "Open With>Quicktime Player"

It's not iTunes but it will work.

Sebastian
  • Reply 2 of 11
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Right Click/Ctrl+Click and select "Open With>Quicktime Player"

It's not iTunes but it will work.

Sebastian

Do you know if this will allow you to deleate the songs as they play if you do not want them or do you have to manually go into that folder and find hte song then deleate it?

Great idea though.

DD
  • Reply 3 of 11
    tilttilt Posts: 396member
    Put your Finder in Column mode, click on the song, you'll see a preview column to the right, click on the play button and you can listen to the song. If you want to delete the song, just hit Command-Delete.

Cheers
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Do you know if this will allow you to deleate the songs as they play if you do not want them or do you have to manually go into that folder and find hte song then deleate it?

Great idea though.

DD

Well Quicktime Player is very light compared to iTunes. If you want just Use Command+Q to quit Quicktime Player immediately and drag the song into the Trash (as you'll probably have the Finder open anyways)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tilt View Post

Put your Finder in Column mode, click on the song, you'll see a preview column to the right, click on the play button and you can listen to the song. If you want to delete the song, just hit Command-Delete.

Cheers

This also works but I'm personally not a fan of Column View. But if you want to Minimize Keyboard Shortcuts and extra clicks this is the way to go.

Sebastian
  • Reply 5 of 11
    I was able to open them all up in vlc but again I was not able to deleate them. Seeing how I have over 3000 different songs to sorth through, I figured I would jsut make a temporary library for itunes and deleate straight out of itunes. When I am done and happy, I assume I can jsut take those songs and bring them into my original itunes library.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

I was able to open them all up in vlc but again I was not able to deleate them. Seeing how I have over 3000 different songs to sorth through, I figured I would jsut make a temporary library for itunes and deleate straight out of itunes. When I am done and happy, I assume I can jsut take those songs and bring them into my original itunes library.

Well if you don't like the above suggestions (like the Column View one) suit yourself.

Sebastian
  • Reply 7 of 11
    I do like the column view idea and will use it when my list isn't so big. Was nice to see that I could simply play the song right out of the folder. Very good hint.

David
  • Reply 8 of 11
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    Quote:

Why not just import them into your main library, setup a playlist for tracks with a playcount of zero and listen/delete from there. When you're done, they're already in your library, so you're good to go.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Endymion View Post

Why not just import them into your main library, setup a playlist for tracks with a playcount of zero and listen/delete from there. When you're done, they're already in your library, so you're good to go.

i like this idea alot. The only concern I have is that I thgouth if i deleated from the playlist, it did not actually remove the song from the library and put it in the trash? At least it didnt seem to do it for a regular playlist in teh past.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    russsrusss Posts: 115member
    To delete a song from the library when you're in a playlist just select the track in the playlist and press Command+Option+Delete.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RussS View Post

To delete a song from the library when you're in a playlist just select the track in the playlist and press Command+Option+Delete.

Actually, just Option-Delete is sufficient.