In short: Apple TV, Mac OS X 10.4.9, AirPort Extreme update

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
With the Apple TV production lines now in full force, Apple Store customers are reporting that their credit cards are being charged for the $299 devices. Meanwhile, yet another build of Mac OS X 10.4.9 has surfaced. And a recommended update for AirPort Extreme has been issued.

Apple TV processing

Apple on Monday evening began charging the credit cards of some of its online store customers who had placed pre-ordered for its $299 Apple TV wireless media hub back in January.

The move is typically a telltale sign that product shipments are about to commence. It also offers corroborative evidence to an exclusive report from AppleInsider published Monday, which noted that manufacturing ramp of the set-top boxes would begin this week.

Although it has begun to charge customers for Apple TV orders, Apple has not yet updated ship and arrival estimates associated with those orders. As of Tuesday morning, early adopters of the device were still quoted a ship estimate "by March 20th" with arrival "by March 23rd."

Mac OS X 10.4.9

Meanwhile, yet another pair of Mac OS X 10.4.9 builds trickled their way down to developers' hands on Friday.

The new pre-releases, recognized around the web as Mac OS X 10.4.9 build 8135 (PowerPC) and 8P2137 (Intel), are reportedly hindered by just a single known issue related to reappearing updates in the system's Software Update technology.

Those people familiar with the distributions claim the latest seeds also include a couple of additional bug fixes related to Sync Services and Keychain, and the .Mac preference pane.

AirPort Extreme Update 2007-002

Apple on Thursday made available for download a 6.5MB AirPort Extreme Update 2007-002 that is recommended for all Intel-based Macintosh computers and improves compatibility with AirPort Extreme base stations and networks.

The company said the update includes all the content from the AirPort Extreme Update 2007-001 and also addresses a security issue that could potentially allow attackers on the wireless network to cause system crashes.

In addition, the update improves compatibility for the MacBook Core 2 Duo and the MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo when using certain third-party access points configured to use WEP Open System security.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    fraklincfraklinc Posts: 244member
    i dont know what to say but this new airport extreme is full of bug, and it looks like everytime apple issues and update it makes it worst the last updates fixes signal and and speed problems but, but sometimes now it even can,t be found by machine and i have the latest 24" imac with all updateshttp://forums.appleinsider.com/images/smilies/1confused.gif
  • Reply 2 of 11
    sowardsoward Posts: 33member
    Just to clarify, the update isn't related to the Airport Extreme network access point, but for the airport extreme cards in machines.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    fraklincfraklinc Posts: 244member
    thats true, what a mess whey have some to the airport extreme card looses connection and can,t even find the base station 2 feets from it sometimes, if it had not happen to you yet dont think your lucky just give it a couple of day
  • Reply 4 of 11
    After the last AE update, I wasn't able to connect to my WiFi network. The AE update before that caused drops. I had to switch from WPA to WEP, and that seems to have fixed the problem. I hope they get this next update right.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Um, my credit card was charged by Apple the day I placed my order, Jan 10th.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trans9B View Post

Um, my credit card was charged by Apple the day I placed my order, Jan 10th.

Well, that's illegal and immoral. Your credit card should not be charged until, at the very least, the product is actually in production and ready for release. I believe, technically, if they don't deliver within 30 days of charging you can insist on having the credit returned.

Of course, I just can't see buying any product before its official release. Too many chances of being "burned" getting something that turns out not to be what you expect.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    As most will know 10.4.9 is out officially.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Well, that's illegal and immoral.

How so?

It isn't unusual to pay for goods or services to be delivered on a later date. Sometimes that date is years in the future.

I'd hate to live in a country where it was illegal to pre-pay for something.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    copsecopse Posts: 64member
    This update fixed my poor wifi signal strength on my 24" iMac! Good times
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcharna View Post

Apple's policy is not to charge the card untill it ships, but I have spoken to Apple, and there is a little exception this time. They said that they aren't charging the cards now, rather, they are "authorizing" the charge or putting the charge on hold. It's not an actual charge, so really, if the Apple TV ships out this week or not, i don't know but I do know that the cards haven't been "charged". Anyway, I ordered the ATV the day it was first made avalible on the store, so I can't wait to get mine...

Apple hasn't charged anybody's card since they won't start shipping the Apple TV until March 20, and as a user previously explained, Apple has a policy of charging Apple Online Store orders only once an item actually ships. On the 20th, if you Apple TV ships, you will see your card being charged.

-- neptune2000