Apple releases Mac OS X 10.4.9 Update

Comments

• Reply 21 of 112
    wuf810wuf810 Posts: 4member
    Sirrom,

MacBook Original with MacPro Airport card...Yes, the 802.11n is still enabled and all working well....
  • Reply 22 of 112
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Does anyone think that 10.4.9 might lead the way to some new hardware?
  • Reply 23 of 112
    working well for me on my quad g5. it actually fixed a problem that was introduced in the recent security updates so i'm happy with that.
  • Reply 24 of 112
    i'm in the process of updating our macs (ppc g5 towers) with 10.4.9 and have noticed that the on the computers i've updated, the eject key on the keyboard doesn't work. the only way to eject is to manually pull the door down and hit the eject button on the drive. this isn't isolated to one computer. every computer i've updated exhibits this.

has anyone else had this problem?
  • Reply 25 of 112
    sirromsirrom Posts: 32member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wuf810 View Post

Sirrom,

MacBook Original with MacPro Airport card...Yes, the 802.11n is still enabled and all working well....

Thanks! I was hoping for good news. I guess I'll go ahead and install now.....
  • Reply 26 of 112
    morrismorris Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newman71 View Post

i'm in the process of updating our macs (ppc g5 towers) with 10.4.9 and have noticed that the on the computers i've updated, the eject key on the keyboard doesn't work. the only way to eject is to manually pull the door down and hit the eject button on the drive. this isn't isolated to one computer. every computer i've updated exhibits this.

has anyone else had this problem?

I believe they increased the time you have to hold the key down. To prevent accidental ejects...
  • Reply 27 of 112
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

If I had to call it now, I'd say we're looking at mid April Leopard release.

I'm guessing 2 months at the earliest, and the WWDC is probably the most likely date.
  • Reply 28 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Morris View Post

I believe they increased the time you have to hold the key down. To prevent accidental ejects...

you're right, you do have to hold down the eject key. is that the way it's supposed to be? i find it kind of annoying since i'm used to tapping the key but i'm sure i'll get used to it.

thanks
  • Reply 29 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm guessing 2 months at the earliest, and the WWDC is probably the most likely date.

Agreed. Given the fact:

* everyone with a Leopard seed who breaks the NDA talks about instability and 'general immaturity'

* my sources at Apple say 'not to expect anything very soon'

* Actual releases are usually a month after the announcement, this announcement hasn't even come yet

* Spring isn't over until the 21st of June

I don't expect Leopard anywhere before June.
  • Reply 30 of 112
    This update does not break hacked front row. It seems to work just fine after updating to 10.4.9
  • Reply 31 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trans9B View Post

But does it break one's hacked copy of front row?

Yes, I get a blue screen on my back up partition with hacked front row on this update. Good thing I learned after the last update.

Why cannot Apple just give us a machine with consumer feature sets and pro expandability? Some of us work as a pro from home and want 1 machine for it all. I need hard drive space and the speed of a Pro and dual monitors, yet want Front row as much as the next guy....

But my Front Row enabler seems toasted after this update.
  • Reply 32 of 112
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I just think that's what you're led to believe. I myself have a strong suspicion there's a super secret build inside Cuper and all developers are being had. A lot of the bugs that were in the build before the current one are still there, it just strikes me as a bit suspicious the huge amount of bugs Apple left unfixed. Internal builds are always ahead of what developers get, sometimes over a month ahead. We're coming up on two years in development, there's a suspicious amount of bug for that much work IMO, and mistakes they made with Tiger will be reduced for Leopard.
  • Reply 33 of 112
    Good! Better they take the time to lock down the issues and stabilize the build than risk shipping an nw operating system release as broken as that.... other.... OS

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Morris View Post

Agreed. Given the fact:

* everyone with a Leopard seed who breaks the NDA talks about instability and 'general immaturity'

* my sources at Apple say 'not to expect anything very soon'

* Actual releases are usually a month after the announcement, this announcement hasn't even come yet

* Spring isn't over until the 21st of June

I don't expect Leopard anywhere before June.

• Reply 34 of 112
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    As one person pointed out, a launch for Leopard at WWDC is unlikely is if they do not give it to developers till after the keynote, everyone would be rushing to get it installed on their laptops and that would not leave them anytime to play with the system before going to the developer sessions.

Sounds logical to me. I think we will see Leopard sooner than June.
  • Reply 35 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

As one person pointed out, a launch for Leopard at WWDC is unlikely is if they do not give it to developers till after the keynote, everyone would be rushing to get it installed on their laptops and that would not leave them anytime to play with the system before going to the developer sessions.

Sounds logical to me. I think we will see Leopard sooner than June.

Well, the procedure would be for Apple to announce the release a month before WWDC. Then they send the Gold Master to the DVD-pressing facilities who will have three weeks to press an enormous amount of DVD's, both for retail/upgrade as for new machines and send them to stores. At the release, a month later, there will be enough in stock for Steve to say "for sale now".

This would give developers enough time to play with the final (or near final) version before the general public has it.
  • Reply 36 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I just think that's what you're led to believe. I myself have a strong suspicion there's a super secret build inside Cuper and all developers are being had. A lot of the bugs that were in the build before the current one are still there, it just strikes me as a bit suspicious the huge amount of bugs Apple left unfixed. Internal builds are always ahead of what developers get, sometimes over a month ahead. We're coming up on two years in development, there's a suspicious amount of bug for that much work IMO, and mistakes they made with Tiger will be reduced for Leopard.

I definitely think there's something to this. We know that Apple has stuff intended for Leopard that devs aren't even getting a look at - so why wouldn't they leave a few bugs in to throw people off the scent? They know that NDAs aren't going to patch leaks, so it's better to just throw a red herring out there.

Seeing as one of the Apple Design Awards at WWDC is for best Leopard app, I'd be extremely surprised if Leopard isn't out at least a month prior to that. People are going to want to get familiar with it prior to the workshops and stuff. And isn't Steve's keynote on the last day of WWDC?

The more and more I think about Leopard at WWDC, the less sense it makes.

I think we'll see a ship date announced at NAB, and it'll be the same day as a totally Leopard exclusive Final Cut 6.
  • Reply 37 of 112
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    best leopard app at wwdc will be photoshop.

Adobe probably has close to the master copy.
  • Reply 38 of 112
    This is great...tried to install the OS X update through the software update, says couldn't install, try running it manually. Well I tried running it manually, it wouldn't run, so I restarted and now I can't boot my Macbook Pro
  • Reply 39 of 112
    socokidsocokid Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I'm on Intel, and my updater is 99 MB. (I was fully up-to-date previously.)

My PPC download is only 52.7. In fact, it's never been what they say it is... silliness.
  • Reply 40 of 112
    deanbardeanbar Posts: 113member
    I reckon they've been waiting to see what Vista had to offer first, then add/produce new killer content, but making sure OS is well de-bugged, considering the problems with Vista.