A plea to Harry Potter fans: Please support J.K. Rowling on her eBay lawsuit!

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
As we reported previously, JK Rowling is suing eBay for allowing illegal and fraudulent copies of her works to be sold on the auction site. Jo has managed to obtain an injunction which prevents eBay from listing illegal copies (namely e-versions of her books), which is binding until a May 23rd hearing.

Not only is Jo losing out from the auctioning of illegal books, but fans are being hoodwinked and wasting their money.

Marjorie, webmistress of the MuggleNet-affiliated collectors' advice site JKR's Army, was contacted by Neil Blair (Jo's lawyer) who asked fans to lend their support. Marjorie has set up a petition, which we strongly encourage you all to sign. We will soon have more ways you can help, but for now, visit this page for additional info.

Via MuggleNet

I have duly signed the petition and just as MuggleNet did, I strongly recommend all of you to sign that petition - irrespective of whether you are a Harry Potter fan or not. Thank you!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    no.

at this point it is just greed. she doesn't need the money. who cares?
  • Reply 2 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

no.

Yes, it's SO GREEDY to be remunerated for your life's work.

Do you agree with piracy in general, or only when you deem the victim to be rich enough already?
  • Reply 3 of 36
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I don't care about Rowling or her silly books.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregmightdothat View Post

Yes, it's SO GREEDY to be remunerated for your life's work.

Do you agree with piracy in general, or only when you deem the victim to be rich enough already?

I don't condone piracy.

And just because I suggest that her actions are greedy doesn't mean I am making an excuse for others to steal her works. I am making the suggestion that her actions are not above-board. Appealing to the readers of her work to petition so that she can earn more money is the essence of mindless greed.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

no.

There might be important legal ramifications if she doesn't pursue these types of claims.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    Then why bring the fan's into it, if it is just a conventional defense of copyright.

See, it's not the lawsuit, it's the appeal to the fans.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Then why bring the fan's into it, if it is just a conventional defense of copyright.

Because EBay is more likely to respond in the court of popular opinion than in a court of law? Especially for some division of EBay in some other country. Hitting EBay reputation in the USEurope more likely to garner a positive result than tryinig to get EBay Pakistan respond with anything but legal delays.

/shrug

Piracy is one thing. Forgeries is another. Piracy is wrong but costs only money. Poorly written forgeries tarnishes the reputation of the author and branding of the francise.

Vinea
  • Reply 8 of 36
    Quote:

Beats me.

Looks like JKR just wants a show of moral support from her fans.

I don't really have an opinion on that.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    go piracy
  • Reply 10 of 36
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    She needs to offer those books in a format that readers want and she isn't doing that.

It's her fault for not catering to the market.

I am sure she can cry herself to sleep on her billions of dollars.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    I have really enjoyed the Harry Potter films. I have not read the books but know many that have. I think it's a great property and franchise.

However, I have some serious problems with JK Rawlings. During the announcement phase and production phases of the first Harry Potter movie she has made numerous disparaging remarks about Americans, American filmmakers and American actors. You can plop the DVD into the player and watch the "making of" for an example that she didn't care who directed the movie as long as it wasn't an American. She absolutely refused to audition or consider any American actors or writers. And then she went on, with a funny laugh, about how those Yanks Chris Columbus and Steven Kloves proved her wrong.

But it was the delivery and contempt in her voice for anything American that soured me to her as a human being and person.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by groverat View Post

She needs to offer those books in a format that readers want and she isn't doing that.

It's her fault for not catering to the market.

I am sure she can cry herself to sleep on her billions of dollars.

Let's be fair.

She's only lying on one billion dollars. Not quite as comfy.
  • Reply 13 of 36
    Having bought all the books and DVDs for my children (which they read and watch over and over and over), haven't I already "donated" enough money to her cause ?
  • Reply 14 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

I have really enjoyed the Harry Potter films. I have not read the books but know many that have. I think it's a great property and franchise.

However, I have some serious problems with JK Rawlings. During the announcement phase and production phases of the first Harry Potter movie she has made numerous disparaging remarks about Americans, American filmmakers and American actors. You can plop the DVD into the player and watch the "making of" for an example that she didn't care who directed the movie as long as it wasn't an American. She absolutely refused to audition or consider any American actors or writers. And then she went on, with a funny laugh, about how those Yanks Chris Columbus and Steven Kloves proved her wrong.

But it was the delivery and contempt in her voice for anything American that soured me to her as a human being and person.

What's wrong with hiring British actors to play British characters?

You wouldn't hire an Indian to play a black man, would you? WOULD YOU?

That's not anti-American. That's accurate. They hired Irish actors for Irish parts, Hungarian actors for Hungarian parts, and French actors for French parts. I don't think there's yet been an American in any of the books, but if there is one, there'll be an American hired for it.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    There's nothing wrong with supporting your national film industry.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Why the hell is she suing eBay, instead of the various nefarious folks who are actually selling the pirated goods? If she succeeds in forcing online marketplaces to act as proxies for the FBI and RIAA/MPAA, I just might have to boycott her last book. Dammit.

But I think I'll be OK. If the RIAA hasn't succeeded in this grail quest yet, I doubt little Ms. Rowling will.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    people don't understand the goodness of piracy
  • Reply 18 of 36
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by illutionz View Post

people don't understand the goodness of piracy

Few people understand the virtue of property rights. Or the concept of a principle.

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 19 of 36
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, right? Hollywood's reputation simply preceded it .

Who's this JK Rawlings that you have serious problems with?

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 20 of 36
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Why does she need my support when she has an army of lawyers to represent her?