iTunes on Vista

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I don't know what the hell Apple is thinking, but iTunes on Windows is getting worse with every release. The sound quality is going downhill (it gets muddier and muddier), the resource-hogging gets worse and worse, and the stability lessens with every single update.

I was extremely frustrated with iTunes while I was running XP. Bigtime resource hog that would sometimes assassinate my sound drivers and somethings just hard freeze the computer for minutes at a time.

Ever since I have upgraded the Vista, though, iTunes has revealed itself to be the most demon-hell piece of software I have ever used. It will shoot almost straight to 300MB of RAM (which I really don't care about if it's running well), it will take 5-6 seconds to register any click. If you plug in an iPod be prepared to wait for 3-5 minutes for that to show up. If you want to move something onto it you can go ahead and start dinner. And that is all if it doesn't crash. And I'd love to know what exactly it is saving my library for 30-45 seconds of 100% CPU time every time I close it.

Once I figure out a way to get automated podcast downloads and iPod support in Foobar2000, I'll uninstall iTunes.

My god, Apple, are you trying to piss Windows users off?

Because you aren't going to convince me that your OS is the best if your Windows software is bloated garbage. All you're teaching me is that your software is bloated garbage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by groverat View Post

I don't know what the hell Apple is thinking, but iTunes on Windows is getting worse with every release. The sound quality is going downhill (it gets muddier and muddier), the resource-hogging gets worse and worse, and the stability lessens with every single update.

I was extremely frustrated with iTunes while I was running XP. Bigtime resource hog that would sometimes assassinate my sound drivers and somethings just hard freeze the computer for minutes at a time.

Ever since I have upgraded the Vista, though, iTunes has revealed itself to be the most demon-hell piece of software I have ever used. It will shoot almost straight to 300MB of RAM (which I really don't care about if it's running well), it will take 5-6 seconds to register any click. If you plug in an iPod be prepared to wait for 3-5 minutes for that to show up. If you want to move something onto it you can go ahead and start dinner. And that is all if it doesn't crash. And I'd love to know what exactly it is saving my library for 30-45 seconds of 100% CPU time every time I close it.

Once I figure out a way to get automated podcast downloads and iPod support in Foobar2000, I'll uninstall iTunes.

Because you aren't going to convince me that your OS is the best if your Windows software is bloated garbage. All you're teaching me is that your software is bloated garbage.

haha I noticed iTunes was running slow on my friends Windows PC too, but it sounds like Vista has a lot of problems of its own. I am hearing nothing but complaints from people that have upgraded to Vista so far, apparently it's a real nightmare. As for OS X, I can tell you that's not the case. iTunes runs fine, and the over all experience of the OS is pleasant. Yeah you get your little problems here and there, but 99% of the time my Mac Pro runs f@#!&in' sweet! I don't touch a Windows machine unless I absolutely have to, plus being away from the Windows PC for a period of time now, I kind of became a PC retard. Which I don't really mind because Macs are A LOT better
  • Reply 2 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by groverat View Post

Hmmm, can't say I share the sentiment, iTunes is perfectly snappy and has/causes no problems whatsoever on my work PC (Dell, XP, P4, 2GB)

You are sure it's not a general windows problem (driver issue/virus/adware) or something, because I recognise none of your problems??
  • Reply 3 of 23
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    It was decent under XP, but under Vista (same version, same system, actually less stuff installed on Vista since I just did a fresh format/install) it is a dog from hell.

I am glad it's not everyone, though.

Here's hoping it straightens up soon, because I'm really getting to like Foobar and iTunes may lose its hold on my computer.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Now that's a rant!

And you thought you'd never see software described "muddier and muddier".
  • Reply 5 of 23
    My main problem with Vista is it is too much like mac OS. If I hate MacOS, why would I want to use an operating system that is mimicking it a bit?

I like XP, the functionality in XP is so much better than Vista. The over simplification garbage just pisses me off, and makes it harder for me to use.

Yeah, and I can't play any of my iTunes Store purchased videos on my PC. Come on Apple, your not going to tell me that my computer is too weak to play a damn video Apple.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
  • Reply 7 of 23
    I just had a quick question for groverat (and whoever else). Does it seem that Vista is slow-motion? because on the HP TouchSmart PC i have everything is slow and flowy, not jittery.

Just wondering if that's a feature or my PC...
  • Reply 8 of 23
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    iTunes worked great on my PC. Really, no problems at all, and it wasn't much of a resource user. Google Desktop is a killer, though, and it's necessary in XP.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

iTunes worked great on my PC. Really, no problems at all, and it wasn't much of a resource user. Google Desktop is a killer, though, and it's necessary in XP.

Google "copernic desktop". Way less resource-intensive.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    I have iTunes running on a developer preview version of Vista and it's fine. Not slow or jittery at all.

You'll probably find that it comes down to hardware or drivers a lot of the time. There's still a lot of hardware out there that doesn't work very well with Vista and even more drivers that don't work at all.

Before you blame Apple for breaking things, I'd check with the hundreds of different hardware/software manufactures which have provided individual components within your system.

Seeing that so may people have a different experience with Vista depending on their hardware, it proves that Apple have it right... provide the hardware and software.

Just on a side note, I spent 2 hours helping a friend network his new Vista notebook with his XP PC. We almost gave up, but managed to do it in the end, but we had to disable so much crap in Vista. My MacBook Pro saw all the machines on his network without having to do anything, but needless to say, his Vista machine wouldn't see my Mac!
  • Reply 11 of 23
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    I dunno, the performance of iTunes on my test machine (IBM NetVista P4 @ 1.6Ghz, 512MB RAM) is *better* under Vista than it was under Windows 2K which was the previous OS I had on the machine. It is a bit slow to launch, but that's the case with any app under Vista, and iTunes has always been slow to launch anyway.

No problems with the sound quality either...

I've also installed iTunes 7.1 on various Dells at work and my IBM Thinkpad T60p (all running Windows XP) and none of those have problems either.

One thing I did notice with 7.1 is that it now has Vista style close/minimize/maximize buttons when you run it on Vista - on 7.0 they were the same as in XP and 2K.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Is the Vista version of iTunes out yet? I thought that there were known problems with it and Apple said to wait for the release of a Vista compatible version. On their web site they only list support for Windows 2000 and XP, not vista.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

Does it seem that Vista is slow-motion?

Seems fine to me. iTunes hard freezes all the goddam time still, but other than that it is peaches and cream.

We'll see what it looks like 3 months from now (and hopefully with a new version of iTunes).
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JCG View Post

Is the Vista version of iTunes out yet? I thought that there were known problems with it and Apple said to wait for the release of a Vista compatible version. On their web site they only list support for Windows 2000 and XP, not vista.

iTunes 7.1 is supposed to have fixed most issues, but Apple said always to use the "eject iPod" button in iTunes to eject your iPod, and not the "Safely Remove Hardware" (or whatever it is on Vista)
  • Reply 15 of 23
    my vista machine runs itunes 100% fine

maybe your computer is slow lol

another alternative is to use ur beloved windows media player created by microsoft
  • Reply 16 of 23
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

How would anyone ever know? And why would MS **NOT** do this? They have everything to gain. Nothing to lose. Everybody (including Groverat) would automatically blame iTunes' poor performance under Vista on Apple.

That's because Apple does not know how to code and makes such crappie software. Ya! that must be the reason.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    My mate just took his Vista laptop back and bought a MacBook Pro. He has never owned or even used a Mac before, but he was so sick of Vista after just one week that he decided that he had had enough!

Another 'switcher' joins the revolution.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

My mate just took his Vista laptop back and bought a MacBook Pro. He has never owned or even used a Mac before, but he was so sick of Vista after just one week that he decided that he had had enough!

Another 'switcher' joins the revolution.

"revolution!" it's freakin' consumer electronics, no matter how you shake it. don't make more of it than it is. based on moral issues, i'd take MS anyways, given how much gates does for charity

use what works, whatever it is. i imagine non-ipod mp3 players are much better than they used to be. maybe one of those with windows media player is the tightest package for vista.

hardly seems worth the effort...fighting with an ipod + itunes, when there are other options out there.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by progmac View Post

"revolution!" it's freakin' consumer electronics, no matter how you shake it. don't make more of it than it is. based on moral issues, i'd take MS anyways, given how much gates does for charity

use what works, whatever it is. i imagine non-ipod mp3 players are much better than they used to be. maybe one of those with windows media player is the tightest package for vista.

hardly seems worth the effort...fighting with an ipod + itunes, when there are other options out there.

Yes "revolution", as in the Mac ethos of olden time. Moral issues?!! haha! That's utter twoddle. Yes Willi has started doing a lot of charitable work, but only because it bares no detriment to his incomprehensible personal wealth. And he has his wife to credit for most of that. He has a hell of a lot of wrong doing, back stabbing and malicious espionage to make up for!
  • Reply 20 of 23
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by progmac View Post

What do Gates's philanthropic efforts have to do with Microsoft? One is a chairman of a company (hasn't been CEO for years, and will resign next year), other is the company.