iPhoto On Monday, Read On For Proof

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm nearly positive that Apple will be releasing iPhoto or a photo-editing app by a different name on Monday. Look at store.apple.com. There's a new left-hand column that says "solutions" It has "music," "photos," and "movies" links under it. Apple already has software for music (iTunes) and movies (iDVD and iMovie), but nothing for photos. I can only imagine they made this column to showcase all of their own software, and "photos" is there because Apple's going to release photo-software on monday!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    So does this mean the QuickTake is coming back, in your opinion?

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: Fran441 ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 39
    Doesnt mean anything.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by heymac:

<strong>I'm nearly positive that Apple will be releasing iPhoto or a photo-editing app by a different name on Monday. Look at store.apple.com. There's a new left-hand column that says "solutions" It has "music," "photos," and "movies" links under it. Apple already has software for music (iTunes) and movies (iDVD and iMovie), but nothing for photos. I can only imagine they made this column to showcase all of their own software, and "photos" is there because Apple's going to release photo-software on monday!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, this is true. You could also infer that from the fact that the Apple Retail Stores have a Music, Photo, and Video section as well.

Even if that wasn't true, the way Apple presented the iPod makes me really think that there are going to be more then 3 iApps.

-Paul
  • Reply 4 of 39
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    Future Hardware, eh?
  • Reply 5 of 39
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    Oh, and it will be called iPicture, not iPhoto.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Shoudn't this be in Software Discussion?

Jamie :cool:
  • Reply 7 of 39
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I tried to salvage the thread by throwing in the QuickTake comment. Did you see it?
  • Reply 7 of 39
    [quote]Originally posted by MacAgent:

<strong>Future Hardware, eh? </strong><hr></blockquote>

Great minds think alike. Some faster than others though

J :cool:

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: jamiemarshall ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 39
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>I tried to salvage the thread by throwing in the QuickTake comment. Did you see it? </strong><hr></blockquote>

How about iTake, Apple's return to the digital camera market? FireWire of course and a 5Gb HD a la iPod.

J :cool:
  • Reply 10 of 39
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    if you watch the ipod QT you'll notice that the absence of an apple photo solution is a bit odd, with the new product/software matrix...
  • Reply 11 of 39
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by New:

<strong>if you watch the ipod QT you'll notice that the absence of an apple photo solution is a bit odd, with the new product/software matrix...</strong><hr></blockquote>

image capture does pretty well. only thing it could offer more is maybe cropping and exporting of different formats
  • Reply 12 of 39
    iCapture is tiny compared to iTunes, iMovie and iDVD...
  • Reply 13 of 39
    david rdavid r Posts: 135member
    Rotate, reduce red eye, fancier webpages, calendars, limited photo editing capabilities, titling, etc.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    If it does come Monday I would assume Preview and Image Capture would cease to exist as stand alone apps. Depending on how good it turns out I might buy it, especially if it allows native use of USB scanners not yet supported in OS X e.g. f**king uMax!!!
  • Reply 15 of 39
    vvedgevvedge Posts: 41member
    whats going to separate iPhoto (or iCapture, I like that name better) from Photoshop elements or some other third party piez of crap?

Sure, if Image Capture was incorporated into it and it came free with every mac. That's about it... unless Apple can pull something fancy outta their hats...
  • Reply 16 of 39
    not.hardware.related.must.resist....

nope. can't do it.

I hope, sincerely hope beyond hope, that Apple never bothers with any photo related software beyond image capture. Ever.

Check it out: there's never been any major, industry-leading mp3 application. Until iTunes. Apple filled a gap because, well, there wasn't anything worthy of filling the gap. And no one to piss off.

And in video, Avid had nothing worth of low-end users and wasn't interested in them, really, anyway. So Apple does iMovie (and then iDVD with the SuperDrive).

But photo? Ummm, Adobe, the second-largest software company in the world has that pretty well sewn up. And Photoshop Elements is PERFECT for the entry-level/consumer market. Apple should bundle Photoshop Elements with every iMac and iBook, yes. Build their own, please no.

Another way to look at it. When a non-mac-user is at the Apple store trying to decide to purchase a computer, what will get him closer to plopping down his credit card? Apple's logo or Adobe's (in addition to Apple's)?

Advice to Apple: buy, don't build.

&lt;hardware comment&gt;

oh, and I don't think they should build a digital camera either.

&lt;/hardware comment&gt;
  • Reply 17 of 39
    damn. double post. sorry.

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: LuckyJno ]</p>
  • Reply 18 of 39
    a free consumer iapp. has nothing to do with trying to compete with photoshop...
  • Reply 19 of 39
    not photoshop. photoshop ELEMENTS. It's under a hundred bucks. Apple could get 'em OEM for under $25, I'll bet.

and yes, it is a consumer app.

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: LuckyJno ]</p>
  • Reply 20 of 39
    I'm hoping the "iPhoto" app will be integrated with ofoto or some other photo processing service. Didn't Apple invest in ofoto last year? Ofoto also just release the new windows version of ofoto now. There was no mention of an updated Mac version. Hmmm....perhaps because it is integrated into "iPhoto".

Just a thought