I Want My NEW MACBOOK PRO!

Comments

• Reply 61 of 104
    socratessocrates Posts: 261member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elderloc View Post

Yes they are working on the resolution thang. But higher resolution would still be nice. I believe that just means that the Icons and Text will not be linked to the screen res. Not 100% sure what it means could not find it on ADC.

You're basically right.

Programs will no longer draw using actual pixel units, they will draw using "virtual" pixel units, which the OS will map to an arbitrary number of actual pixels on screen.

Currently if you find that text or icons are too small you have the option of reducing your screen rez, but at the cost of making everything blocky because in effect you are just making the pixels bigger *. But device-independent resolution will mean that if you set your screen to 800 by 600 "virtual" pixels resolution, everything will be rendered using more pixels per character or icon, so they remain sharp, instead of just making the pixels bigger.

* In reality, you can't make screen pixels bigger, but what the OS currently does when you reduce your screen resolution is scale up the image so the pixels look bigger (e.g. 1 image pixel gets drawn using 4 screen pixels). This may sound like the same thing as device independence, but it's not. Although the pixels being used are virtual, it is still the pixels themselves which are being made bigger. In device independent rendering, the pixels stay the same size, and the OS uses more of them to draw the picture, so the resultant image still has nice crisp edges.

This will basically mean that we could start buying 300dpi screens without either a) having the text be too small to read in most programs, or b) having to lower the resolution to make them act exactly like 72dpi screens, in which case we could have just bought a 72dpi display in the first place.

I hope that makes sense. The distinction between physical screen pixels, virtual screen pixels and image pixels is kind of hard to explain.
  • Reply 62 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

MacBook Pro:

2.2GHz 15", 1GB RAM, 7200rpm 160HD + NAND, SD, discreet GPU $1999

2.4GHz 15", 2GB RAM, 7200rpm 160HD + NANDx2, SD, discreet GPU $2499

2.4GHz 17", 2GB RAM, 7200rpm 160HD + NANDx2, SD, discreet GPU+ $2799

2.4 Ghz C2D

17" HD Display

4Gb RAM

300 Gb HD

Whatever video card is tops

Leopard

NANDx2

Updated Keyboard

Higher Res iSight

This is my ideal configuration!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait til WWDC!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 63 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TonyD007 View Post

2.4 Ghz C2D

17" HD Display

4Gb RAM

300 Gb HD

Whatever video card is tops

Leopard

NANDx2

Updated Keyboard

Higher Res iSight

This is my ideal configuration!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait til WWDC!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd love to own a MBP like that. Most on this board will say that you're a dreamer though and that the configuration you listed is impossible, or that Apple would never put together such a thing.

Time will tell either way.
  • Reply 64 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brian Green View Post

I'd love to own a MBP like that. Most on this board will say that you're a dreamer though and that the configuration you listed is impossible, or that Apple would never put together such a thing.

Time will tell either way.

How do you figure this is an impossible configuration? I think this is VERY VERY realistic.
  • Reply 65 of 104
    I'd be extemely suprised to see anything of that ilk released this side of 2010. 4GB RAM, 300GB HD? Yeah, I think not.

Oh, and anybody who thinks Apple will release a laptop bigger than 17" obviously hasn't seen this. 17" is about as big as a portable can be before it stops being portable - personally, I think the 17" is too big, and the 15" is pushing it, but that's because I want my laptop to make me feel like a giant (well, moreso than I am already).
  • Reply 66 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Democaster. View Post

I'd be extemely suprised to see anything of that ilk released this side of 2010. 4GB RAM, 300GB HD? Yeah, I think not.

Oh, and anybody who thinks Apple will release a laptop bigger than 17" obviously hasn't seen this. 17" is about as big as a portable can be before it stops being portable - personally, I think the 17" is too big, and the 15" is pushing it, but that's because I want my laptop to make me feel like a giant (well, moreso than I am already).

BBBWWWWAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA,

Many Notebook Manufacturers already offer 4Gb as an option. Check out Dell for instance. Notebook HD's are already at 200Gb, u really think that 300Gb wont make it out before 2010???? U crazy. I bet they hit 300 Gigs by the end of 2007, watch. Other than your comments on 17" being the largest notebook possible, I say shut the hell up!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 67 of 104
    I don't think Apple will offer what you suggest as a standard option in their MacBook Pros for a good few years, no, so how about we keep the flaming to a minimum and use our indoor voices for a second. 4GB will be available before then but it certainly won't be a standard configuration, nor will a 300GB hard drive. If you seriously think a 300GB drive will be available in the MacBook Pros before 2007 comes to a close, perhaps it is "u" that is crazy.

And I'd rather not check out Dell, thank you very much.
  • Reply 68 of 104
    Quote:

I don't think Apple will offer what you suggest as a standard option in their MacBook Pros for a good few years, no, so how about we keep the flaming to a minimum and use our indoor voices for a second. 4GB will be available before then but it certainly won't be a standard configuration, nor will a 300GB hard drive. If you seriously think a 300GB drive will be available in the MacBook Pros before 2007 comes to a close, perhaps it is "u" that is crazy.

And I'd rather not check out Dell, thank you very much.

Dude, who the hell is talking about standard options? That is the whole point of having customization!!!!! You get the specs you want. I could care less what they offer as a standard configuration. I will be getting the best of what they have. Thank you very much.
  • Reply 69 of 104
    Even as a build-to-order I think 300GB on the HD this year is perhaps a tad optimistic, as is 4GB of RAM, unless we see the new chips that can address more than 3.
  • Reply 70 of 104
    Quote:

Dude, who the hell is talking about standard options? That is the whole point of having customization!!!!! You get the specs you want. I could care less what they offer as a standard configuration. I will be getting the best of what they have. Thank you very much.

I'm right there with ya. I'm with the "If I start the race at the front of the pack I won't be as far behind by the time my legs give out..." group.
  • Reply 71 of 104
    Unless you're starting the race with Apple's RAM, in which case you'll be starting the race with an extremely light wallet. If a 2GB upgrade from 512 was £300 I dread to think what 4GB will be from 2.
  • Reply 72 of 104
    Quote:

Unless you're starting the race with Apple's RAM, in which case you'll be starting the race with an extremely light wallet. If a 2GB upgrade from 512 was £300 I dread to think what 4GB will be from 2.

I will be starting the race with Apple's RAM and Apple's Warranty and plenty left in my wallet. I make a good enough living The second you crack your Macbook Pro open on your own = Bye Bye Warranty.

Dude, Dell is ALREADY offering 4GB of RAM on their XPS Notebook; How is this not likely from Apple come June??????? Also, Fujitsu announced way back in December 2006 that they are releasing a 300GB 2.5" Notebook HD. How is it that you figure that it is unlikely that it will make it into a Macbook Pro come June???? The HD is already supposed to be out by now.

Here is the article: http://news.com.com/Fujitsu+prepares...3-6143533.html

Please stop hating!!!!!!!!

I will be enjoying my 4GB of RAM and 300GB HD come June. Thank You!!!!!!
  • Reply 73 of 104
    Quote:

I will be starting the race with Apple's RAM and Apple's Warranty and plenty left in my wallet. I make a good enough living The second you crack your Macbook Pro open on your own = Bye Bye Warranty.

Dude, Dell is ALREADY offering 4GB of RAM on their XPS Notebook; How is this not likely from Apple come June??????? Also, Fujitsu announced way back in December 2006 that they are releasing a 300GB 2.5" Notebook HD. How is it that you figure that it is unlikely that it will make it into a Macbook Pro come June???? The HD is already supposed to be out by now.

Here is the article: http://news.com.com/Fujitsu+prepares...3-6143533.html

Please stop hating!!!!!!!!

I will be enjoying my 4GB of RAM and 300GB HD come June. Thank You!!!!!!

I personally hope that both the 300GB HD and the 4GB RAM end up as BTO options with the next MBP. They are going to have to address the Time Machine issue one way or another, and I'm hoping that they don't think our hard drives aren't already full enough without dedicating several GB just to Time Machine with the anorexic drives we have offered today. As for battery life, my old Wallstreet had slots for two batteries, so no one can say that Apple hasn't offered expanded options. Personally, I'd love to have that slot be available in a new MBP, to be used either for a second battery or a second HD. Some would want the extra power, some would want the extra storage.

Either way, I'm interested in seeing what Apple does with these next MBP's. It's been a long while since we've seen a complete redesign of the entire laptop. I'm hoping that the next version will be entirely different than what we have now. Something that truly goes above and beyond anything anyone is expecting. The sad truth is, they aren't striving to be the top performance / capacity laptop out there.
  • Reply 74 of 104
    Personally i'm hoping for a lightweight notebook but not an ultralight - they're just too whimpy.

I'm hoping for:

11-13" widescreen

Carbon Fibre Case (hard and very light)

Penryn CPU (yes i know i'll be waiting)

Decent Graphics (don't know the models but something on par with macbook pro models and say 128MB)

NAND say 1-4GB / Hybrid Drive but no less than 160GB capacity, pref 5400 200GB but i don't think that exists yet.

4GB RAM (why why why why can't the current models do this? i mean they take two simms but only one can be 2GB????)

Expansion Port (what do they call that, express card?)

FW800

Backlit keyboard

LED Screen backlights

**UNDER 2KG** (4.4lb for the imperial people out there)

Now i don't mind if they have the optical drive external, in fact i think that would be great, that way i can get myself a blu-ray or HD DVD or whatever later.
  • Reply 75 of 104
    Brian Green and hobart.george excellent posts my friends. Way to stick to the topic.

Brian, you are absolutely correct, Apple is going to have to address the time machine issue one way or another. This could possibly lead to dual hard drives. Plenty of notebook manufacturers already are offering dual HD's, Sony and Alienware are two names that come to mind. Another expansion slot could be the answer as well, with the option of a 2nd battery or 2nd HD.

And I would LOVE to see a carbon fiber case. How awesome would that be? Although I think it is highly unlikely.
  • Reply 76 of 104
    Quote:

Brian Green and hobart.george excellent posts my friends. Way to stick to the topic.

Brian, you are absolutely correct, Apple is going to have to address the time machine issue one way or another. This could possibly lead to dual hard drives. Plenty of notebook manufacturers already are offering dual HD's, Sony and Alienware are two names that come to mind. Another expansion slot could be the answer as well, with the option of a 2nd battery or 2nd HD.

And I would LOVE to see a carbon fiber case. How awesome would that be? Although I think it is highly unlikely.

MMM, Carbon Fibre is a tricky one, it's hard to work with as i understand but that doesn't mean it can't be done, sony already have them in their ultralights i believe.
  • Reply 77 of 104
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobart.george View Post

**UNDER 2KG** (4.4lb for the imperial people out there)

Now i don't mind if they have the optical drive external, in fact i think that would be great, that way i can get myself a blu-ray or HD DVD or whatever later.

There are PC laptops out there under 2 kg with optical drive. Example: HP nc2400 (this one is under 1.5 kg actually). So it is more than feasible right now.
  • Reply 78 of 104
    I've just received an Apple email ad for MBP and Aperture. Can't imagine they'd bother sending out an ad like that if new MBPs were in the pipeline. They'd be letting stock diminish ready for the new books - not speeding up interest in an old product. I really need a new MBP, but I don't think what I want is coming any time soon.
  • Reply 79 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rogue68 View Post

I've just received an Apple email ad for MBP and Aperture. Can't imagine they'd bother sending out an ad like that if new MBPs were in the pipeline. They'd be letting stock diminish ready for the new books - not speeding up interest in an old product. I really need a new MBP, but I don't think what I want is coming any time soon.

They'll want to get rid of it faster, if anything; if there's something new coming down the pipe then they're going to want to have as few "old" models on hand as possible.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brian Green View Post

I personally hope that both the 300GB HD and the 4GB RAM end up as BTO options with the next MBP. They are going to have to address the Time Machine issue one way or another, and I'm hoping that they don't think our hard drives aren't already full enough without dedicating several GB just to Time Machine with the anorexic drives we have offered today. As for battery life, my old Wallstreet had slots for two batteries, so no one can say that Apple hasn't offered expanded options. Personally, I'd love to have that slot be available in a new MBP, to be used either for a second battery or a second HD. Some would want the extra power, some would want the extra storage.

I reckon it's been more than implicit from the offset that Time Machine was intended for use with an external drive - I'm pretty sure that's one of the driving factors behind the NAS feature of the new AirPort Extreme (a feature I love, incidentally), so that mobile users can back up to a hard drive in the house without having to be tied down in order to do it. Which, if you ask me, is not only a totally sweet feature of which I plan to take full advantage, it's also probably a better idea than having two drives in the MBP. Plus, where would a second drive go? From what I've seen - from Flickr users who either have nerves of steel or an expense account - there's not a lot of extra room kicking about inside those things.
  • Reply 80 of 104
    Quote:

They'll want to get rid of it faster, if anything; if there's something new coming down the pipe then they're going to want to have as few "old" models on hand as possible.

I reckon it's been more than implicit from the offset that Time Machine was intended for use with an external drive - I'm pretty sure that's one of the driving factors behind the NAS feature of the new AirPort Extreme (a feature I love, incidentally), so that mobile users can back up to a hard drive in the house without having to be tied down in order to do it. Which, if you ask me, is not only a totally sweet feature of which I plan to take full advantage, it's also probably a better idea than having two drives in the MBP. Plus, where would a second drive go? From what I've seen - from Flickr users who either have nerves of steel or an expense account - there's not a lot of extra room kicking about inside those things.

I'm aware that there isn't much space in the current MBP's. I'm holding out for a complete case redesign. The current look is dated and I'm hoping that a new design will emerge about the same time as Leopard. It's in this new MBP that I'd like to see the second hard drive, or inclusion of the Fujitsu 300GB 2.5" drive.

I agree with you completely that the Airport Extreme feature allowing connection to an External HD is a very cool feature. I'll be using it myself, but it doesn't help me in the least in terms of having my media with me on the road.

The limitations that most directly impact me while traveling are the lack of HD space (I've got a rather snug 17GB remaining on mine), and graphics card performance. I hope we'll get NVidia cards in the new MBP's as an optional build.

A complete redesign would probably address these issues. I'm hoping for far more capacity than currently offered.